advertisement

Shamina Begum Back In The UK.

All the people here advocating for her never to return.

Would you say the same if your young impressionable child did what Begum did?

I’m sorry, I don’t think you would, I think you’d be calling for their safe return with the necessary help they would need.

Yes, I prefer a secular state.
There is no evidence that religion leads to a more peaceful and stable society.
I don't advocate for deporting others. It is undeniable that some people, like Ms Begum, are attracted by a different sort of society. I don't see why she has given up on that ideal, all of a sudden.
Trying to summarize your position for myself: although you don't like the UK arrangement of a state religion, and you consider extremist religious leaders like Abu Hamza and the late Rev. Ian Paisley to be troublemakers, you wouldn't support deporting any of them?

One other point on deportation is that for the likes of Abu Hamza, not only were they adults, but they weren’t born here, AFAIK, so the state could take back something it had previously granted. And he had roots elsewhere he could return to.

There are some thoroughly obnoxious views being expressed on this thread. Just try and imagine this happening to a middle class, blond, white 15 year old. It just would never happen.
Indeed. As David Allen Green argues, the policy is discriminatory and racist.

There are some thoroughly obnoxious views being expressed on this thread. Just try and imagine this happening to a middle class, blond, white 15 year old. It just would never happen.

Agreed. My opinion of some here has fallen right through the floor. The lack of sympathy towards a child who in any sane world would be leaping around her bedroom to Billie Eilish or whatever, but instead was systemically groomed, indoctrinated into a religious death cult, raped, had and lost three children, and has spent the last few years stateless in a refugee camp is incomprehensible. Now some middle-aged right-wing racist morons want to ensure the rest of her life remains in ruins? Seriously WTF?! If anyone here is so fundamentally lacking in any moral compass or basic humanity that they can’t see the picture here please just get off my website! I will never be so lacking in dignity I need your business.

Not reading through this whole thread, but she was groomed and raped. Our current administration seem to think that the correct way of handling this is to kowtow to the hateful bovine Daily Mail reading masses and abandon her to her captors.

Anyone that voted Conservative is implicitly endorsing this treatment of vulnerable young people from marginalised minorities. And then they profess astonishment at the ease with which irrational hatred can be fomented within these marginalised minorities. Maybe it's not so irrational after all.

Maybe they will start going back a generation or several to send people they find undesirable back where their ancestors come from who knows. Didn't you only have to be a teensy weensy bit Jewish in Nazi Germany?

How many generations of Farages will we have to go back?

Follow it back here and you'll soon be in sunny Frankfurt.....

https://www.geni.com/people/Nigel-Farage/6000000025422818023

Farage is of English and German descent. Both parents of his great-grandfather Carl Schrod were German, migrating to London from the Frankfurt area shortly after 1861. The German immigrant Nicholas Schrod was mentioned in the British press in 1870:

"A German named Nicholas Schrod was charged at Bow-street this morning with assaulting two young men named Glanfield and Collins. The complainants were bidding each other good night in Francis-street when the conversation turned upon the war. One of them said that 40 Englishmen could beat 80 Germans. It appeared that the prisoner was leaning from the window and heard this. He came down stairs, charged the complainants with improper conduct, and assaulted them." ( "News of the day," The Globe, Tuesday, 6 September 1870, p. 7)

Not reading through this whole thread, but she was groomed and raped. Our current administration seem to think that the correct way of handling this is to kowtow to the hateful bovine Daily Mail reading masses and abandon her to her captors.

Anyone that voted Conservative is implicitly endorsing this treatment of vulnerable young people from marginalised minorities. And then they profess astonishment at the ease with which irrational hatred can be fomented within these marginalised minorities. Maybe it's not so irrational after all.

I agree with you wholeheartedly in one sense, up to and including that I couldn't at the moment in good conscience vote Conservative (which I have in the past.) However, I'm not sure I could vote Labour (which again I have in the past) with any clearer a conscious, and certainly not if I am judging them on this point!

Lets not pretend that it's just the Conservatives, Labour created this legal position with Section 4(2) of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 and section 56(2) of the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. The Conservatives' contribution was to remove a protection included in the British Nationality Act 1981 Labour appear to have overlooked, after it was bought to light by the Supreme Court Al-Jedda ruling. They did so with only 18 Labour MPs voting against it. 33 Liberal Democrats (i.e. 73% of them) supported the amendment too just in case you might have thought they were any better. All three major parties seemingly support throwing Human, Natural and Convention Rights out the window, taking serious liberties with their interpretation of International Covenants and Conventions we are supposed to be bound by, and dispensing with due process of law on the basis of the mere suspicion of the Home Secretary; so long as you say the magic words "National Security".

With a few outliers excepted, all our politicians are scum with no respect for rights, decency or reason when it doesn't suit their agenda; don't blame just one wing of the bird eating our liver!

I agree with you wholeheartedly in one sense, up to and including that I couldn't at the moment in good conscience vote Conservative (which I have in the past.) However, I'm not sure I could vote Labour (which again I have in the past) with any clearer a conscious, and certainly not if I am judging them on this point!

Lets not pretend that it's just the Conservatives, Labour created this legal position with Section 4(2) of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 and section 56(2) of the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006. The Conservatives' contribution was to remove a protection included in the British Nationality Act 1981 Labour appear to have overlooked, after it was bought to light by the Supreme Court Al-Jedda ruling. They did so with only 18 Labour MPs voting against it. 33 Liberal Democrats (i.e. 73% of them) supported the amendment too just in case you might have thought they were any better. All three major parties seemingly support throwing Human, Natural and Convention Rights out the window, taking serious liberties with their interpretation of International Covenants and Conventions we are supposed to be bound by, and dispensing with due process of law on the basis of the mere suspicion of the Home Secretary; so long as you say the magic words "National Security".

With a few outliers excepted, all our politicians are scum with no respect for rights, decency or reason when it doesn't suit their agenda; don't blame just one wing of the bird eating our liver!
Yep. The last 40 years in British politics has been one long frog-boiling experiment, dreamed up by Enoch Powell. I’m sure Enoch would be appalled by modern Britain as a whole but he’d have to admit that the parliamentary parties had done him proud.

Shamina Begum has appeared on a few TV channels today. I don't usually pay much heed to Good Morning Britain (or whatever it is on ITV around that time) - but this morning was a bit different. Richard Madely and Suzanna Reid were obviously briefed to pour scorn on her, but I definitely felt that what she was saying, she believed. I think she should probably have the chance to redeem herself; at the very least return to Britain, face trial (if warranted) and see where it leads. She has offered herself up as someone who may be able to help combat radicalisation, and apologised profusely for her wrong doings. She doesn't appear to be media trained and looked visibly uncomfortable throughout - on balance, I don't think she poses any threat whatsoever and deserves a second chance.

advertisement

Back