advertisement

Pre for ATC actives

I'm possibly in this dilemma depending on whether I go for ATC actives or Dutch&Dutch. I have looked at the miniDSP, but it just doesn't quite stack up for me as its limited on analogue inputs. I think the question I am asking myself is do I want room correction or not? I heard a Hegel Mohican CD player through their P30 pre into ATC40aS and that sounded bloody amazing to me, but my room may change that. I guess a home dem would be required. Did wonder whether to stick a room processor between the pre and the actives, but that goes against my new minimal boxes philosophy. Should have kept my active Naims and SL2s, I knew where I was with them... box count hell aside :D
There’s a good online listening test comparing ATC, D&D and Grimm here:

I'm possibly in this dilemma depending on whether I go for ATC actives or Dutch&Dutch. I have looked at the miniDSP, but it just doesn't quite stack up for me as its limited on analogue inputs. I think the question I am asking myself is do I want room correction or not? I heard a Hegel Mohican CD player through their P30 pre into ATC40aS and that sounded bloody amazing to me, but my room may change that. I guess a home dem would be required. Did wonder whether to stick a room processor between the pre and the actives, but that goes against my new minimal boxes philosophy. Should have kept my active Naims and SL2s, I knew where I was with them... box count hell aside :D
The 8Cs have 24 parametric Eq filters and tone controls built in and now integration with REW, the filters created by REW are sent directly to the speakers, removing ‘boom’ especially with truly full-range loudspeakers brings a huge improvement.
Keith

Congratulations! I'm waiting for 50ASL to arrive also, should be ready by the end of march. ATC is slightly behind schedule, thanks to COVID-19. I'm updating from 40A and have been using Linn Akurate DSM Katalyst with them, great combo and space optimisation helps to fit the speakers in room. ...
I use an ATC CDA2 CD-DAC-Preamp with my SCM50A Classics. It's a very compact system (with a Raspberry Pi unobtrusively hanging off the USB input taking wireless streaming input) I think it's a very good match although I do have 10 dB attenuators between the two just to better deal with setting the volume control for the occasional music mastered at very high level and little dynamic range.

I am quite amazed to see how many are now into active loudspeakers and ATC ones in particular. When I bought mine a few years ago I thought I was buying into a rather small niche.

Thoughts & prayers;)

I use an ATC CDA2 CD-DAC-Preamp with my SCM50A Classics. It's a very compact system (with a Raspberry Pi unobtrusively hanging off the USB input taking wireless streaming input) I think it's a very good match although I do have 10 dB attenuators between the two just to better deal with setting the volume control for the occasional music mastered at very high level and little dynamic range.

I am quite amazed to see how many are now into active loudspeakers and ATC ones in particular. When I bought mine a few years ago I thought I was buying into a rather small niche.
How do you find the attenuators effect the sound? Was toying with doing this, not a major problem but some CDs are mastered rather hot. Arctic Monkeys & Kiwanuka being prime examples.

How about a Cyrus reference DAC/Pre? Great DACs, balanced pre and remote for around £500 (XP) £800 (XP+) or £1500 (XP Signature) S/H. The only thing missing is a USB socket. The new XR is £4k and has a USB socket. Look tidy, too.

I'm possibly in this dilemma depending on whether I go for ATC actives or Dutch&Dutch. I have looked at the miniDSP, but it just doesn't quite stack up for me as its limited on analogue inputs. I think the question I am asking myself is do I want room correction or not? I heard a Hegel Mohican CD player through their P30 pre into ATC40aS and that sounded bloody amazing to me, but my room may change that. I guess a home dem would be required. Did wonder whether to stick a room processor between the pre and the actives, but that goes against my new minimal boxes philosophy. Should have kept my active Naims and SL2s, I knew where I was with them... box count hell aside

At this kind of cost a home demo is essential, I'd think. Also, unless you've had your room measured acoustically... It's worth it just so you know.

How do you find the attenuators effect the sound? Was toying with doing this, not a major problem but some CDs are mastered rather hot. Arctic Monkeys & Kiwanuka being prime examples.
There was no impact on sound here - exactly the same but at a higher volume control setting. It just took me a short while to adjust to finding the "new normal".

My system for a few years, ATC SCM50 ASL Speakers, cables RCA to XLR made up by ATC, Avondale Grad 1, TPX4 very happy with the result. Long term will probably to downsize, hearing f**ked and moving to a smaller house.

That wasnt due to playing the ATCs too loud was it by any chance?

I also have used a pair of active 50's for the last 8 years, I initially used the pre out of my integrated atc amp, very clean sound. I have ready many threads from owners and quiet a few enjoyed a valve preamp .
I then got my hands on a modwright ls36.5 pre amp which is a really good synergy and one that I prefer in my system.(just added 20dB attenuators recently and still getting used to the new normal as well...)
I have also noticed BAT and Manley pre amps used but there are rather rare, still valve pre amps deserve consideration!!

I also have used a pair of active 50's for the last 8 years, I initially used the pre out of my integrated atc amp, very clean sound. I have ready many threads from owners and quiet a few enjoyed a valve preamp .
I then got my hands on a modwright ls36.5 pre amp which is a really good synergy and one that I prefer in my system.(just added 20dB attenuators recently and still getting used to the new normal as well...)
I have also noticed BAT and Manley pre amps used but there are rather rare, still valve pre amps deserve consideration!!

I've no experience of ATC speakers myself but I did notice through Instagram that James Whest of Whest Audio uses a large pair of ATC 3 way active speakers (I think the 100 series but could be 150) along with BAT valve pre, source is a heavily modded VPI TNT , TW-Acustic Raven 10.5, a selection of cartridges along with one of his own top of the range phono preamps.

Congratulations! I'm waiting for 50ASL to arrive also, should be ready by the end of march. ATC is slightly behind schedule, thanks to COVID-19. I'm updating from 40A and have been using Linn Akurate DSM Katalyst with them, great combo and space optimisation helps to fit the speakers in room. I auditioned half a dozen different dac-pre's before I updated from passive 40's to active ones. Linn ADSM came out as winner but I also liked PSAudio DIrectStream a lot. I use Linn Silver XLR cables with this setup but have also Mogami 2549 pair with Neutrik connectors which sounds almost identical. I could live with either one of these cables.
I'm interested in either ATC 40 or 50 actives. I've heard the 100's which are too pricey but reproduce a drumkit better than anything else I've demo'ed. IMHO they also have a distinctly 'Pro' sound i.e. level frequency response as opposed to Floyd Toole/Sean Olive target curve. So a further demo of 40's or 50's is required. What's your experience and what do you expect to achieve by upgrading?
TIA

The 8Cs have 24 parametric Eq filters and tone controls built in and now integration with REW, the filters created by REW are sent directly to the speakers, removing ‘boom’ especially with truly full-range loudspeakers brings a huge improvement.
Keith
The D&D's are a very attractive option to ATC's and seem to offer better VFM and get great reviews. However there are some other considerations. They need to be close to a flat boundary wall and they incorporate an A/D internally limited to 48KHz sample rate. I believe you can send 24/192 via AES but this is downsampled and there is no opportunity to send it DSD? So migrating from a typical DAC-amp-passive system sensibly involves disposing of the DAC, amp and passive speakers (no point in D/A > A/D). I think the Grimm LS1 accepts 24/384 which is less restrictive for those invested in HR recordings. Hmmm!

They can be placed anywhere, the 8Cs have the ability to adjust the bass output via their app, so you could have one close to a wall and the other in free space if you choose. There are advantages in placing within 50cm of the front wall, you remove any cancellations caused by the speakers own rear propagated bass and you gain 6dB extra headroom.
Yes they play 24/192 natively.
Keith

The D&D's are a very attractive option to ATC's and seem to offer better VFM and get great reviews. However there are some other considerations. They need to be close to a flat boundary wall and they incorporate an A/D internally limited to 48KHz sample rate. I believe you can send 24/192 via AES but this is downsampled and there is no opportunity to send it DSD? So migrating from a typical DAC-amp-passive system sensibly involves disposing of the DAC, amp and passive speakers (no point in D/A > A/D). I think the Grimm LS1 accepts 24/384 which is less restrictive for those invested in HR recordings. Hmmm!
I have ATC SCM50As and I subsequently heard a D&D 8c demonstration. They sounded good to me although the demo was too short and didn't have the right music mix for me to fully evaluate them.

I'm not in the market for new 'speakers as I find the ATC SCM50As to be completely satisfactory, but the D&D 8c would otherwise make it onto my demo list. I would have to re-jig my system architecture and that knock-on might be a consideration.

FWIW you can clearly hear a difference from a HD recording to a standard one with 8c's.

I actually gave D&D a consideration also. I read pretty much all reviews and forums I could find with Google and they really do sound like an interesting speakers. The problem is, they don't have distributor here in Finland so I couldn't demo them. I watched the Alpha Audio comparison and while D&D does sound great there, I preferred ATC sound in this demo also. If things get overly analytical, it's usually not good in long run and listening sessions and might cause listening fatigue. It's funny that D&D's closest competitor, Kii Audio, has quite visible presentation in Finland and they're available for demo. I've heard Kii's many times at exhibitions and while they do sound impressive, somehow they don't connect me with music like ATC does. Great speaker/monitor for monitoring and listening to sounds though.

British audio manufacturers seem to be an easy choice for me year after year. There's some magic to British approach to music and audio gear. For over ten years I've had fully British setup and there's no end to this in sight. First Naim + PMC, then Naim + ATC and now Linn + ATC. I even have network switch made by Chord. Most of my favorite bands are British also and my all time favorite is Porcupine Tree and lately Steven Wilson... go figure.

You could have reached out to D&D directly, they are set-up for remote speaker calibration, obviously the ideal is to hear all ‘possibles’ side by side in your own room.
Keith

advertisement

Back