advertisement

Review integrity

orangeart

KJF Audio Ltd.
I'd like to write a bit about my recent experiences with getting reviews done for a new product. There is the worry amongst readers that they are not getting an impartial review, that maybe the manufacturer is buying a good review by paying megabucks for advertising. I have not found that to be the case at all. HiFi Pig and HiFi world both did reviews recently on my SA-01 amplifier. Neither of them even offered the rate card to me until the review was done. Even then there was no question that the review publication was predicated on my paying anything. In fact I am free to not advertise with them in any way if I so choose. Both publications delivered glowing reviews and both Stu at HiFi Pig and Noel Keywood over at HiFi World spent time talking with me to make sure they had covered all aspects of the product but never mentioned advertising at all. Both articles were published before I got to see them so there was no way for me to influence or re-word final copy. All in all a fine display of integrity. Of course I will be making sure I buy at least some advertising from them as it seems only fair that they earn a buck.

I would have more confidence in online and magazine reviews if they published even the occasional damning review. I can’t even recall the last time I saw a review in which something was described as merely average.
I have a couple of thoughts here. Firstly, as a manufacturer or distributor, if you have a ‘meh’ product in your range, you probably know. So might be a bit unlikely you’d go out to magazines and review sites bigging it up and trying to get a review.

Secondly as a publisher, online or print, why would you waste valuable real estate and your readers’ time, on reviews of dull product? If you tell people in the opening paragraph that something is a bit pants, they’ll not read it, and if you don’t, they’ll be pissed off when they find out at the end.

Easier and less contentious just not to give such products the oxygen of publicity.

I would have more confidence in online and magazine reviews if they published even the occasional damning review. I can’t even recall the last time I saw a review in which something was described as merely average.
I know what you mean, think every review in HiFi World Jan 21 was 5 globes bar the Hana and one 4 globe, can’t recall seeing many 2 globes and maybe never or only once seeing a single globe review score.

Secondly as a publisher, online or print, why would you waste valuable real estate and your readers’ time, on reviews of dull product? If you tell people in the opening paragraph that something is a bit pants, they’ll not read it, and if you don’t, they’ll be pissed off when they find out at the end.
I’m genuinely confused by this. Why wouldn’t the reader be better informed if he/she had a better idea of what the reviewer does and doesn’t like. Wouldn’t that be more helpful when drawing up a shortlist of products to consider. After all whose benefit is the review for? ;)

If every review is wonderful, with no display of discrimination on the part of the reviewers, what’s the point of reviews?

I’m genuinely confused by this. Why wouldn’t the reader be better informed if he/she had a better idea of what the reviewer does and doesn’t like. Wouldn’t that be more helpful when drawing up a shortlist of products to consider. After all whose benefit is the review for? ;)

If every review is wonderful, with no display of discrimination on the part of the reviewers, what’s the point of reviews?
It’s a good point, but I have this feeling that people in general don’t like reading negative or neutral reviews and won’t spend much time on them. If I’m interested in buying something on, say, Amazon, then I’ll look at the 2-star reviews and the4-star ones, but these are very brief. I’d not read a 4 page, 1500 word essay on why it got 2 stars.

From my memory of something Alan Sircom of HiFi+ said when he used to post on here, there are two main reasons the mags don't publish bad reviews, Firstly, people don't want to read them. Secondly, manufacturers won't send any more stuff for review if one of their products gets slagged off. He also suggested that there are actually relatively few really bad products any more, so that you'd need to actively seek them out.

They review and except advertising from the most absurd foo that any publication with integrity would have nothing to do with. Zero integrity IMO. I can also recall several examples of Alchemist amps having total bollox written about them, and an interview with Ian Rankin in which he admitted sometimes writing reviews on equipment he hadn't even removed from the box. I was asked for a bribe to ensure a good review for the Arkless 640P when I first started making them. I told the publication owner where to shove it, natch. I very much doubt I would ever allow a review of any product I may make.

It’s a good point, but I have this feeling that people in general don’t like reading negative or neutral reviews and won’t spend much time on them. If I’m interested in buying something on, say, Amazon, then I’ll look at the 2-star reviews and the4-star ones, but these are very brief. I’d not read a 4 page, 1500 word essay on why it got 2 stars.

I think Amazon style “user” reviews are a different kettle of fish. Regarding professional, published reviews, I just think giving readers as much information as possible, rather than a “filtered” set of gushing reviews can only be a good thing. If I was to read a negative review, I’m not sure I’d feel disappointed, I’d think “Good to know”

If you want bad reviews completely un sugar-coated I know just the place.
Keith

Ah, yes. I’d forgotten about that site ;)

I'd like to write a bit about my recent experiences with getting reviews done for a new product. There is the worry amongst readers that they are not getting an impartial review, that maybe the manufacturer is buying a good review by paying megabucks for advertising. I have not found that to be the case at all. HiFi Pig and HiFi world both did reviews recently on my SA-01 amplifier. Neither of them even offered the rate card to me until the review was done. Even then there was no question that the review publication was predicated on my paying anything. In fact I am free to not advertise with them in any way if I so choose. Both publications delivered glowing reviews and both Stu at HiFi Pig and Noel Keywood over at HiFi World spent time talking with me to make sure they had covered all aspects of the product but never mentioned advertising at all. Both articles were published before I got to see them so there was no way for me to influence or re-word final copy. All in all a fine display of integrity. Of course I will be making sure I buy at least some advertising from them as it seems only fair that they earn a buck.
yes i thought the review i read was vaery fair and balanced, it did not say they were 100% perfect and pointed out any shortcomings very honestly [ this was compared to a much more expensive product ] i hope to hear the sa-01 at some point and see if it can persuade me away from my icepower class d

Interesting. I have that this cartridge and I do not recognise their findings at all. Fast and hard sounding? No way. Edgy at high levels? Only if loaded wrongly. Poor tracking? Not in my experience. Don't know what hard tone means. Heavy weight? Its lighter than my previous cartridge.

Bizarre.

I know what you mean, think every review in HiFi World Jan 21 was 5 globes bar the Hana and one 4 globe, can’t recall seeing many 2 globes and maybe never or only once seeing a single globe review score.

Interesting. I have that this cartridge and I do not recognise their findings at all. Fast and hard sounding? No way. Edgy at high levels? Only if loaded wrongly. Poor tracking? Not in my experience. Don't know what hard tone means. Heavy weight? Its lighter than my previous cartridge.

Bizarre.
Totally different from the HiFi News Adam Smith (Highly Commended) and HiFi+ Alan Sircom review which were very positive. Have you read those?

The more reviews I read, the more I get the sense that the point of the review is

1) sell product
2) promote reviewer/magazine/website
3) promote dealer
4) promote the manufacterer.

In other words, each is trying to sell themselves and each other. As and example, here's a snippet from a recent review I read.

I have to back up a bit here though and mention [Dealer name] of [Dealer's website/stoere], who generously lent me the [Product Name] and [Product Name] for review. I spoke extensively with him on a Skype call during the review period and got a lot of insight into the company and creation of these products. One particular quote regarding the tuning of the products struck me: [Dealor Name] mentioned that [Manufacterer] tuned the [Product Name] units in [Dealer's] room and tweaked them until they sounded equal to gear costing tens of thousands of dollars more.

Yes and others.

Its a very lovely cartridge indeed.

Euan.
Hope to get a listen next year, have the Kleos SL in view but the dealer is also a Hana stockist so might be able to get a head to head, the HFW review did seem at odds with what I’d read elsewhere.

Hope to get a listen next year, have the Kleos SL in view but the dealer is also a Hana stockist so might be able to get a head to head, the HFW review did seem at odds with what I’d read elsewhere.

Be interested to hear how you get on. It has replaced a Shelter 9000 in my system.

Be interested to hear how you get on. It has replaced a Shelter 9000 in my system.
Currently Cadenza Bronze and XX2Mk2. Have a Hana EL in the office collection where I mess around and do lots of swapping in/out, it’s very even handed but a bit “safe”.

All in all a fine display of integrity.

I think integrity is perhaps too strong a word for subjective reviews of technical equipment by people lacking the technical expertise to perform competent technical reviews. As a new source of material for their content and a potential new source of advertising revenue you are valuable to magazines. It is in their interests to behave in an honest straightforward manner and not drive you away. As far as I am aware no mainstream magazine has ever directly linked money to a good review because it would be commercial suicide when it got out. And it would get out. The links have to be indirect.

Of course I will be making sure I buy at least some advertising from them as it seems only fair that they earn a buck.

You have already contributed to their content by loaning equipment. May I ask how the shipping costs were handled? There is no moral obligation to buy advertising that I can see but if you want to grow and maintain a positive relationship/goodwill with the magazines for future comments and reviews then I suspect it may be wise. Particularly if you are a small company with a few expensive low volume products where income may be seriously affected by poor comments and reviews in the eyes of potential customers.

How to create and maintain good subjective reviews for something like good quality solid state amplifiers would seem to be a challenging relationship/people problem. As someone from the technical side I am pretty sure tackling such a task would stress and frustrate me enormously given that what I had control over (the technical aspects) is rather unlikely to have much influence on the outcome. Marketing is a rather different ball game. I will watch with interest to see if your good start is maintained. Best of luck.

I am always greatly amused when people think there is a collegiate relationship between editorial & commercial teams. IME the opposite is true, general enmity exists.

I remember the heady days of working in regional press, the journalists would barely speak to the commercial teams let alone be influenced in any way.

The hi-fi press has virtually no power these days.

advertisement

Back