advertisement

The Album Everyone Should Own

Out to Lunch - Eric Dolphy

didn’t get on with it at all, and I’m a huge jazz lover. Ended up selling my copy.

lots of super niche suggestions here. Seems to me if we are talking about an album someone “must” own, then it should be an album that represents the apex of a genre or a turning point in the start of something new. Like Tubular Bells for example.

I’d probably end up suggesting no library would be complete without at least one of the first four led zeppelin album, they shaped a generation of rock music and likely influenced everything that followed them. The heavy blues and folk inspired tunes giving a route to market for bands like Black Keys and Jack White etc.

what about the birth of early electronic? Jean Michelle Jarre and Oxygene. Or later introductions from massive attack like Blue Lines, which again shaped things to come for years.

simply recommending something you “like” that you think others should like, doesn’t seem in the spirit of the task.

It’s a good album but in terms of the significance of the artist I’d suggest Odelay is the more vital collection entry :)

You may be right...I also love Odelay. But Sea Change is special for me. IMO it's Beck's master piece.

Why not have both?

You may be right...I also love Odelay. But Sea Change is special for me. IMO it's Beck's master piece.

Why not have both?

why not indeed, and I do. In fact I have every single beck album. Sadly that includes the latest two which are examples of albums we could all do without

I like Tony's idea that this should be an album everyone should own, is a Killer-No-Filler, but isn't that well known but still very accessible to a wide range of people.

So of course I would expect people to name (and I would agree with) Kind Of Blue, Sgt Pepper, DSOTM, Solid Air, Ziggy, What's Going On, LZ4, Live & Dangerous etc etc but would all be well known and owned - I realise my list paints me as 'of a certain age' and other more recent items should be on this list...

For me, maybe something like ZZ Top 'Tres Hombres' ?

Ah yes...how many times have I lip read

'T U R N I T D O W N!!!!

to 'La Grange'

Nice live version here...long live magnatron amps.

I've just realised that this conundrum has only one obvious answer....

MeetTheResidents1.jpg

Guarantee you will love this one, Michael hedges aerial boundaries. Over the years played it to a few folks and all end up buying a copy, totally accessible, thankfully Michael doesn’t sing on this one, ground breaking playing that influenced so many guitar players and banging tunes every one

must own, sorted

advertisement

Back