advertisement

Porcupine Tree

The last studio album to include that style of vocal (growling as opposed to 'horrible shouting') was back in 2008!o_O

Fair enough. My one (and probably only) venture into Opeth is Blackwater Park which seems to be 2001. Growling is probably a better description than mine but I'm not sure it really qualifies as singing.

Another SW/PT fan here.
I started with In Absentia, but Lightbulb Sun, Deadwing, Fear of a blank planet, Stupid Dream, up the downstair, the sky moves sideways, all excellent. And that’s not the whole PT catalogue.
Then there’s SW’s post PT output..........
The raven that refused to sing, Hand cannot erase, Transcience. Wow, just wow.
To the bone was probably the last SW solo album for me, I wasn’t into the direction he seems to be going. I’m not a fan of his latest release. 2 or 3 decent tracks on it, but not great as a whole album for me.
Blackfield, another of his bands. Open mind is their “best of” album & a good place to start, but if you like the poppier end of PT, chances are you’ll like Blackfield as well.
He’s definitely a major talent & has had some Uber-musicians in his band. Gavin Harrison in particular is a phenomenal talent.
It’s not a bad way to go bankrupt!

Just spotted this thread. I have to agree with the "buy everything" suggestions though I think Metanoia and The Incident aren't essential.

Don't forget Recordings, it is a selection of floor sweepings and b sides from the Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun era. That doesn't sound too tempting does it but personally, I prefer it to both, any album with Buying New Soul and an extended version of Even Less gets my vote.

Once you've exhausted the PT, No-Man, Blackfield and Solo albums why not try Anathema and The Pineapple Thief. Both have connections with Steven Wilson.

I'm a BIG prog fan, but don't get these fellas at all. I find the music misses a good vocalist and the kind of great tunes that were commonplace in prog's golden age.

The Pineapple Thief's latest album 'Versions of the Truth' is a seriously good album and beautifully recorded. Mr. Gavin Harrison on drums......incredible.

The Pineapple Thief's latest album 'Versions of the Truth' is a seriously good album and beautifully recorded. Mr. Gavin Harrison on drums......incredible.
The Pineapple Thief are one of those bands that will probably never get the recognition that they deserve.
For me they just go from strength to strength and the addition of GH to the ranks is the icing on the cake - hoping to see them live in the autumn.

I'm a BIG prog fan, but don't get these fellas at all. I find the music misses a good vocalist and the kind of great tunes that were commonplace in prog's golden age.
Hmm, well I’m not a traditional Prog fan ( except early Genesis/ Gabriel, if that counts). Never really managed to get Tull, ELP etc. Maybe one day the penny will drop.
I agree that SW isn’t a superb vocalist, maybe his voice just lacks a bit of character?
But I find some superb melodies/tunes in a lot of PT/ SW music.
Maybe this just goes to show that pigeon-holeing & labelling artists is a bit flawed.
Same as the recent thread about New Wave music. Where did pub rock end, punk, new wave etc cross over & start?
It’s just music I happen to like, regardless of which category it falls in to.

Stupid Dream started it for me, the following couple of albums In Absentia and Deadwing make for a great trilogy. After that I found that PT kind of lost their edge for me. I've bought all his solo CDs but very rarely listen to them I'm sorry to say, they don't really hold my attention, dare I say it that I find them a bit boring. On the other hand the Blackfield Live in NY is a real belter, I've listened to that one countless times and its a superb recording, love it.

A recent discovery for me.

Have just listened to, and enjoyed immensely, Lightbulb Sun on vinyl.

Where should I go next in their catalogue please? ;)
Studio Albums, once you have them ALL you can move on to the Compilations and start looking for a Saturday job to save up for the rarer stuff ;)

On the Sunday of Life (May 1992 - Delerium)

Up the Downstair (June 1993 - Delerium)

The Sky Moves Sideways (February 1995 - Delerium)

Signify (September 1996 - Delerium)

Stupid Dream (March 1999 - KScope)

Lightbulb Sun (May 2000 - KScope)

In Absentia (September 2002 - Lava)

Deadwing (March 2005 - Lava)

Fear of a Blank Planet (April 2007 - Roadrunner)

The Incident (September 2009 - Roadrunner)​

Steven Wilson Studio Albums, fave is Hand. Cannot. Erase. - there's a Blu Ray with extras

Insurgentes (November 2008 - Kscope)

Grace for Drowning (September 2011 - Kscope)

The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) (February 2013 - Kscope)

Hand. Cannot. Erase. (February 2015 - Kscope)

To the Bone (August 2017 - Caroline International)

The Future Bites (January 2021 - Caroline International)

advertisement

Back