advertisement

Exposure 2510 review/ A British Audiophile

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi All

Just thought I would share the link to a review of the new exposure 2510 integrated amplifier, as I know exposure are popular around here.

Also giving the channel a plug. Have been following since its inception, just stumbled across it, no affiliation at all but really enjoy the straight forward reviews and comparison angle. There is a good back catalogue of reviews also for those interested.

Link as follows

Best

How does the 2510 compare to the more expensive 3010S2D which is only around £400 more? Anyone heard them both ?

How does the 2510 compare to the more expensive 3010S2D which is only around £400 more? Anyone heard them both ?
Haven't heard 2510 but own the 3010S2D and it's very good. Worth noting that it's 300 for the MM phono card for the 3010S2D so 700 difference if comparing like for like.

Haven't heard 2510 but own the 3010S2D and it's very good. Worth noting that it's 300 for the MM phono card for the 3010S2D so 700 difference if comparing like for like.

Does the S2D also come with the built in DAC or is this an optional extra ?

Does the S2D also come with the built in DAC or is this an optional extra ?
No you can choose either to have the amp bare, with MM, MC or Dac. Believe the phono cards are around 300 and the dac 400 I think. All very good in their own right as the phono cards are the same which go in the exposure reference stage at 1k, haven't heard it but the dac from what I have read is also very good.

I already had a rega dac-r so went for MM phono card and it's a very good phono stage, and is adjustable also for capacitance and gain. Works well with my P6 and exact cartridge. At some point I will go MC and will just change cards in the amp.

the phono cards are the same which go in the exposure reference stage at 1k, haven't heard it but the dac from what I have read is also very good.
Exposure no longer make the full-width phono stage from the 3010 series, but do make the XM3 half-width one which I own. Having heard the MC board the 3010 preamp (which I also use) I would say the standalone stage sounds fuller, and also has a choice between MM and MC, both fully adjustable. The DAC board puzzles me - the pictures seem to suggest you can only have one of the two inputs available at a time (BNC or USB). My 2010S2 DAC has 6 inputs.

I replaced a Brio-R with the 2010S2 and while it’s a better amp overall, some sounds or instruments in the upper mids seem to get a bit lost in the mix or placed way far behind in the soundstage. Is this normal or was I just too used to the lively and brighter presentation of the Brio-R? Didn’t have much time to compare them side by side but the 2010S2 exposed the flaws of the Rega instantly, even if it’s a very fun musical amplifier.
The Exposure is much smoother, calmer with much more resolution and separation, more neutral and natural than the Rega.

I replaced a Brio-R with the 2010S2 and while it’s a better amp overall, some sounds or instruments in the upper mids seem to get a bit lost in the mix or placed way far behind in the soundstage. Is this normal or was I just too used to the lively and brighter presentation of the Brio-R? Didn’t have much time to compare them side by side but the 2010S2 exposed the flaws of the Rega instantly, even if it’s a very fun musical amplifier.
The Exposure is much smoother, calmer with much more resolution and separation, more neutral and natural than the Rega.

I have the 3010s2d, but recognise your description. It tends to be a ‘big picture’ amp, focussing on the musical whole, without spotlighting some individual elements. Everything is there, but very evenly balanced. May just be the Exposure house sound.

Or, “they all do that, Sir”.

Just looking the the threads on Exposure, i quite fancy down sizing to an integrated amp like a 2010S2 or perhaps a 3010S2, i know the 3010 has an active preamp, but what are the sound differences? (natural/lifelike with good timbre is what i'm after) Has anyone preferred the 2010 to the 3010 etc? I'm driving some three way PMC's.
Thanks.

I've had the 2010 and 3010, both in S2D tune and they were the best amps I've owned. Had the 2010 for a while and sold it on here, had a nagging urge to try the 3010 and it was a bit better but not by much, a bit 'wider' and more control perhaps. I also preferred the lower profile aesthetic of the 2010.

A 2010S2D is all the amp I need really, I will own one again I'm sure. I have noticed the price differential between the current 25 and 35 has narrowed quite a bit, not a fan of the 3510's new look though.

Art Dudley had a preference for the previous gen 2010S over the 3010S, he admitted that the passive pre in the 2010 had turned his view of this method upside-down.

Cheers Gomer, yes i've read a bit about both amps and the 2010 seems to be well liked, I have another simple amp of similar design (a Magnum 170SE) in my Proac system and it's a good sounding little amp, seen off many expensive amps through the years (passive volume control), so sort of hoping to replace like with like.
If the 2010 integrated doesn't have quite enough power i can always run a 2010 power amp on the bass and the integrated on the mid/tweeters.

Thanks for the thread. I'd not heard this bloke but do like the straight unbiased and clear reviews. Exposure 2510 looks great. needs a headphone amp tho :(

Thanks for the thread. I'd not heard this bloke but do like the straight unbiased and clear reviews. Exposure 2510 looks great. needs a headphone amp tho :(
Dont you use a separate headphone amp or amp/dac Rocky? I've got a couple and they seem very good - better than the built in ones I've heard.

I’m just changing amps. So far all have had built in H.A’s but reading about the2510 got me interested until… part of the change is to reduce box count.

advertisement

Back