advertisement

Heretical view on the importance of high end replay.

George J

Herefordshire member
Almost all recordings are no-where near representing a live experience.

The more perfect the repay of recordings, the more the inadequacy of the recording becomes apparent ...

Therefore what you need is a simple replay system that conveys with clarity the balance of Musical lines as much as is possible with the recording in question.

The exception is the live radio relay, which can on occasion present a really good presentation.

Hence my simple replay for recordings: Good enough. And my much superior replay for radio.

Just two pence worth. George

Last edited:
When you say "live" are you referring to the artist in the studio or a gig?
If you're referring to the latter I'd very much prefer it not to sound the same
I hate the very rare occasion when live an artist sounds close to the recording
I'm always looking for something a bit extra live
Just my opinion

@George J

I think you are the exception to most members here - a classically-trained musician; and this is rightly reflected in what you seek: the nuances of interpretation, rather than endless ghastly 'detail' and similar - which does not, in itself, contribute to a deeper understanding of the musical fabric. To stretch a metaphor to breaking point - you highlight the value of understanding the nature of the Wood overall, more then being distracted by identifying individual trees.

I've immense time for this approach.

Last edited:
When you say "live" are you referring to the artist in the studio or a gig?
If you're referring to the latter I'd very much prefer it not to sound the same
I hate the very rare occasion when live an artist sounds close to the recording
I'm always looking for something a bit extra live
Just my opinion

I recall hearing the band UFO at a bike rally and they were so slick and well rehearsed plus such slick mixing, great PA etc etc (no chat between songs, nothing, just straight into next song) that I remember thinking "this could be a CD playing". It kinda killed off the live gig feeling.

I've known several pro musicians who seem largely unconcerned with replay quality beyond a basic level. So used to hearing it live that they can imagine all the fine details maybe?

Almost all recordings are no-where near representing a live experience.

The more perfect the repay of recordings, the more the inadequacy of the recording becomes apparent ...

Therefore what you need is a simple replay system that conveys with clarity the balance of Musial lines as much as is possible with the recording in question.

The exception is the live radio relay, which can on occasion present a really good presentation.

Hence my simple replay for recordings: Good enough. And my much superior replay for radio.

Just two pence worth. George

Well, I find that a good recording or broadcast played via a carefully placed pair of ESLs gives me a musical experience I'm very happy to enjoy. This includes ancient 78-derived material in mono which I can hear more clearly and distinguish details, and modern stereo which lets me get a satisfying 'image' with a sense of distance as well as L-R, in a plausible acoustic.

To me poor kit may either degrade the sound to hide flaws in the material, or emphasise flaws making more of a pest. e.g. speaker colouration that makes background noise *more* noticable.

I recall hearing the band UFO at a bike rally and they were so slick and well rehearsed plus such slick mixing, great PA etc etc (no chat between songs, nothing, just straight into next song) that I remember thinking "this could be a CD playing". It kinda killed off the live gig feeling.

My experiences have been pretty much like this, as you say, it kills it

I've known several pro musicians who seem largely unconcerned with replay quality beyond a basic level. So used to hearing it live that they can imagine all the fine details maybe?

Likewise, I've got a couple of good mates who play professionally (one in a fairly well known band), and to be fair their systems are basic at best

I've said this before a couple of years ago but some of the very most enjoyable experiences with recorded music have been courtesy of a ghetto blaster/car radio/etc when at the right time, with the right people and the right quantity of beer etc.... your own "Wayne's World Bohemian Rhapsody" type memories...

Jez maybe it was a a CD playing ! you never know.Great band though and their Strangers In The Night live double album is superb.Seriously rocking... excellant recording from Chicago in 1978....Love To Love...wow !

Funny enough a couple of years ago I saw The Orb live and the members where behind their mixing desks - instruments - whatever they had up there.Throwing their arms up in the air..as they played the set.But I couldn't help thinking this could all be a recording.So your UFO comment made me think of that gig.

My experiences have been pretty much like this, as you say, it kills it

Likewise, I've got a couple of good mates who play professionally (one in a fairly well known band), and to be fair their systems are basic at best
Yebbut, this is a hifi forum. The connection to live music is tenuous at best.

I've seen UFO several times in my youth (Hammersmith included) and by no way did they sound like any recording, I wouldn't call it slick either, all sorts of live artifacts and ad-lib lyrics. Perhaps you were too shy to get head banging properly. (some of the shows are on YouTube nowadays, hard to describe them as slick:D).

I've seen UFO several times in my youth (Hammersmith included) and by no way did they sound like any recording, I wouldn't call it slick either, all sorts of live artifacts and ad-lib lyrics. Perhaps you were too shy to get head banging properly. (some of the shows are on YouTube nowadays, no way to describe them as slick:D).

It was about 12 years or so ago at Stormin' the Castle rally FWIW... Never have I heard a live band sound so much like a CD.

Had a similar experience in 96, I went to see the Eagles on the 'Hell freezes over ' tour, it sounded just like the live LP/CD, perfect performance but the most boring gig I've ever attended.

Jez maybe it was a a CD playing ! you never know.Great band though and their Strangers In The Night live double album is superb.Seriously rocking... excellant recording from Chicago in 1978....Love To Love...wow !

Funny enough a couple of years ago I saw The Orb live and the members where behind their mixing desks - instruments - whatever they had up there.Throwing their arms up in the air..as they played the set.But I couldn't help thinking this could all be a recording.So your UFO comment made me think of that gig.

I had a similar experience at Glastonbury one year watching the Chemical Brothers
They may as well have just pressed PLAY
Very good though, but not a live band in the true sense

I don't know...upgrades have always improved my enjoyment of my records, many of which are mediocre recordings at best.

Fegs,
I think with electronic music you can never see any real instruments.Unless it's say Depeche Mode as you can see Dave Gahan singing...maybe over a pre recorded backing track ? .I doubt it though Depeche are to good for that.The Chemical Brothers at Glastonbury must have been awesome.With the Sound and Light show....Looked amazing watching it on TV,but to be there - What a great memory for you :)

I’ve been playing with amplifiers lately. I have one that’s incredible in reproducing the locations of instruments within the mix, complete with their own ambience. Lines are easy to follow and everything sounds of a piece, but I can’t help being drawn more to the reproduction.

Another amplifier, slightly more coloured and diffuse in its imaging and thus less detailed sounding, creates for me a better sense of the whole. I’m a rock musician well acquainted with all kinds of live music and find this presentation more faithful to the spirit of the performance.

Another thing. I almost never buy a band’s recordings if I’ve seen it live first, no matter how much I enjoyed the gig. The recordings never approach the scale of the live performance. A special memory of it is enough.

Same with a Joy Division tribute band I saw once. Just like listening to the original recordings only on a much greater scale.

Fegs,
I think with electronic music you can never see any real instruments.Unless it's say Depeche Mode as you can see Dave Gahan singing...maybe over a pre recorded backing track ? .I doubt it though Depeche are to good for that.The Chemical Brothers at Glastonbury must have been awesome.With the Sound and Light show....Looked amazing watching it on TV,but to be there - What a great memory for you :)

it was, it was fantastic to be honest and to be fair I knew what to expect
I've seen a lot of Electronic type bands over the years (New Order, OMD, Human league) but to quote you, these use "real instruments" I think the Chemical Brothers were the first (and maybe only) band who didn't have live vocals or real instruments,
you've made a very interesting point

advertisement

Back