advertisement

I well remember the films from my childhood, he was an innovator and one of the first film makers who's name was more important than the actors in my mind back then.

I enjoyed his work long before I understood what it was I was watching. His impact on film making can't be underestimated.

Yes, very much. That stop motion stuff has such an evocative quality that is sometimes missing from more modern cinematic photography

Yes, very much. That stop motion stuff has such an evocative quality that is sometimes missing from more modern cinematic photography

As far as I am aware, some directors put in bits of stop-motion animation into their films in homage to Ray H. - think of the big robot in Robocop / Paul Verhoeven and Peter Jackson has done the same kind of thing.

As far as I am aware, some directors put in bits of stop-motion animation into their films in homage to Ray H. - think of the big robot in Robocop / Paul Verhoeven and Peter Jackson has done the same kind of thing.
Yes. Though rather than deliberate homages, I’ve watched some ‘live’ football matches that at times look more HH than UHD!

The skeletons in the Seventh Voyage of Sinbad are still an utterly-brilliant creation, in the uncanny-valley of Scary; and to my mind there is a straight-line to be drawn from them, to the denouement of The Terminator (1984)

And Roy H is rightly lauded in all sorts of little motifs, like the restaurant in Monsters Inc. : )

harryhausens.png

Loved his works, especially The Valley of Gwangi and of course Jason and the Argonauts! And we will hopefully be up in Scotland in July!

Loved his works, especially The Valley of Gwangi and of course Jason and the Argonauts! And we will hopefully be up in Scotland in July!

Yes, I have had Jason and the Argonauts on dvd for ages. Used to play it for the granddaughter’s frequently.
One of the kids used to scream her head off when Talos wakes up. :)

@RoyleBlue I think you have to book tickets for the exhibition. Supposed to run till September 5th, but who knows? in the current climate.

Ray Harryhausen was an amazing artist as well >

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-and-artists/features/art-and-ray-harryhausen

Jason and the Argonauts was the very first film I saw at the cinema. The awakening of Talos will remain with me until the day I die.

Being taken to the cinema to see Harryhausen films were seminal events of my childhood. I also remember the excitement of leafing through the film listing of the 2 week Christmas special radio Times when it arrived, and seeing that clash of the titans, etc. was on. I watched Jason and the argonauts again on Netflix a couple of months ago, only intending to watch the first 5 mins and expecting to see how dated it looked. Watched the whole thing of course, wonderful, wonderful film making. The bit where the skeletons scream, just before they charge! The 8 year old boy in me still jumped, even though I knew it was coming.

The skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts scared the living c**p out of me too.

My favourite Harryhausen creation though has to be Bubo from Clash of the Titans
77a5a434f320f1e85b08409271f0c158.jpg

I plan to go as soon as we are allowed. One of my friends went and really enjoyed it, and as many have said I have very vivid memories of being scared by his creations

I did discuss going in December with Mrs M and it was decided we would have plenty of time in early 2021 to visit. How wrong we were, once Mrs Lockdown and have no fun had her evil way:mad:

I remain hopeful of a visit in April ......

Just FYI, tickets are available from 26th April in line with possible unlocking rules, which I think will probably be delayed. I think I will play it safe and get tickets for some time in May

advertisement

Back