advertisement

ROON Version 1.8

Frustratingly it still doesn't find new albums on the fly in real-time... this has been reported numerous times but they cant seam to fix it or don't really care!

Frustratingly it still doesn't find new albums on the fly in real-time... this has been reported numerous times but they cant seam to fix it or don't really care!
I've never had that problem.
At each and every new album (download or rip) I check Roon and it is always there and most of the time "identified" as well.

I am usually a moany-faced nit picker, but I have to say I am quite impressed with the new release, and even more so that they have taken some criticisms on board and addressed them rather than doing the usual prima-Donna defensive act.

I've never had that problem.
At each and every new album (download or rip) I check Roon and it is always there and most of the time "identified" as well.

Do you mind describing how you have yours setup? are you files on a local drive with the rooncore/server?

I have my files on a NAS drive and an NUC running ROCK, i then take USB out from the ROCK to the DAC.

AIUI the instant drop>>appear works fine with local attached storage, it's some clashing of heads with the ROON file system and the NAS or Remote Folder file systems that prevents the instant appearance of Adds/Deletes.

AIUI the instant drop>>appear works fine with local attached storage, it's some clashing of heads with the ROON file system and the NAS or Remote Folder file systems that prevents the instant appearance of Adds/Deletes.

They did fix (and acknowledged) this in the final version of 1.7. Now in 1.8 its messed up again...

Is it on the list they are working on over on the ROON forum, haven’t read through that thread, figured may as well let the dust settle on a couple of these fix ups then see what remains unsatisfactory. At the moment I’m pretty happy with 1.8 and wouldn’t go back to 1.7, as long as the developers continue listening and acting I’m pretty happy, we run some software at work way more frustrating, all the developer does is add bells n whistles rather than fix the bits that are a right pita and have been for 5 years plus.

Do you mind describing how you have yours setup? are you files on a local drive with the rooncore/server?

I have my files on a NAS drive and an NUC running ROCK, i then take USB out from the ROCK to the DAC.
In your setup, how many cores do you have checked for indexing a track?
I have a high powered server and new albums appear immediately. Maybe your NAS is just too slow.

This is my hardware:

ROCK: Intel NUC i7 10th Gen FNK2: 16GB RAM 256GB MVMe SSD
Storage: QNAP TS-251+: 8GB RAM 2x 2TB SSDs
Switch: NETGEAR ProSafe GS105

In your setup, how many cores do you have checked for indexing a track?

I have it on 'throttled' for background audio analysis and 'Fast' for audio analysis.

The NAS is 64-bit quad core and plenty powerful enough. The NUC has 12 Cores on i7 ... so its not hardware issues.

Roon Core on an iMac which I switch off every night. Files on two 2Tb HDs connected directly to the Mac. Control on the iMac or iPad.
The iMac is my do-everything computer and is soon 6 years old.

Similar setup to CK, same issues

ROCK on 10th Gen NUC i7/16GB/256GB SSD NVMe
QNAP TS-653D 16GB/6x6TB WD Red
Unifi 24 Port PoE Gen2
Unifi Wifi Dishes

Fast (12 Cores). Fast Analysis.

Have run ROON on QNAP NAS boxes using the App and Server on Windows 10 PC’s among a bunch of other messing about/testing rigs. The album appearing instantly is a bug that has come and gone, it’s to do with the INOTIFY and SMB clash - ROON haven’t got them to play nice yet.

Roon Core on an iMac which I switch off every night. Files on two 2Tb HDs connected directly to the Mac. Control on the iMac or iPad.
The iMac is my do-everything computer and is soon 6 years old.
ROON seems happy with DAS (direct attached storage) like USB/Firewire/eSATA disks but not NAS/Remote Folder Shares, depending on the OS/Firmware the remote device is using.

advertisement

Back