advertisement

Arcam alpha 5 plus CD belt drive replacement..

MUTTY1

Waste of bandwidth
Hi, could anyone tell me the type and size of the screws that holds the plate that retains the drive wheel in place. Bit like Allen screws but aren’t. Thanks

Okay thanks. Never heard of it but I’m sure Screwfix will have... for info, my drive wheel is locked solid on the pin. I’ve used it for some time just manually pulling the drawer. It got a bit difficult recently. When I took the casing off I found two CDs in the machine. Both by Leonard Cohen.

Not hat surprised. Leonard Cohen is not everyone's cup of tea and looks like Alpha 5+ not that impressed with him too.

Ha ha. I always thought CD Players were nanometer perfect or fell over. To find a a cd that had been dislodged and was slopping around in the player was quite a shock. I had to juggle the drawer mech a bit but it stilled played and had done for months.

Not directly but thanks for the link as it could help others. Mine will hopefully not get dropped on its way from the kitchen table back to the rack!

Thanks to fran, it was indeed Torx 10. Given every other fixing was just the usual Phillips or some such I was expecting the Torx to be well-screwed-down. It was just nothing special. Anyways,it all back the way it came out. I didn’t hear the cd motor drive labouring like he did so was expecting the motor unit to be duff. But all is good. I have a couple of screws left over but that normal for a rebuild, right? ;)

If you're really stuck and the screw isn't too tight, a correctly sized plain screwdriver will often open a torx screw. Not recommended of course, but might get you out of a hobble.

I took it apart, then put it back together and it still works! I’m feeling mighty I have to say... this CD player must be prehistoric yet still is enjoyable. The shaft that the gear wheel sits on had some green gunge at either end but not in the middle. It wasn’t affected by isopropanol so I scraped it off with a fingernail. A quick rub with 1000 grade wet&dry then a smidgen of silicon grease. Maybe worth checking every couple of years? You could cut a hole in the base plate for access. Otherwise it’s a complete dismantle.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back