advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

<moderating>

To be honest splitting out content like this is pretty much impossible as posts exist in a specific context that is then lost, others refer to them etc. As such I’ll leave the ESP stuff here, but there is another fresh thread for future content. I can’t alter time-stamps so trying to move content to it would make little sense.

Thanks. I’ve quoted myself in the correct thread.

Can I just predict the next diversion will have to be about Pacific Jazz(Curtis Amy and Pepper releases) and inevitably to the West Coast question.

Can I just predict the next diversion will have to be about Pacific Jazz(Curtis Amy and Pepper releases) and inevitably to the West Coast question.

The next year’s releases have been announced...

June 4, 2021

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – The Witch Doctor (Blue Note, 1961)
• Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton – Katanga! (Pacific Jazz, 1963)

July 9, 2021

• Sonny Clark –My Conception (Blue Note, 1959)
• McCoy Tyner – Expansions (Blue Note, 1968)

August 6, 2021

• Lee Konitz & Gerry Mulligan – Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mulligan Quartet (Pacific Jazz, 1953)
• Wayne Shorter – The All Seeing Eye (Blue Note, 1965)

September 10, 2021

• Joe Pass – For Django (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
• Stanley Turrentine – Rough ‘N Tumble (Blue Note, 1966)

October 8, 2021

• Sonny Red – Out of the Blue (Blue Note, 1959-60)
• Grant Green – The Latin Bit (Blue Note, 1962)

November 5, 2021

• Hank Mobley – Curtain Call (Blue Note, 1957)
• Jackie McLean – Tippin’ The Scales (Blue Note, 1962)

December 3, 2021

• Gerald Wilson – Moment of Truth (Pacific Jazz, 1962)
• Freddie Hubbard – Breaking Point! (Blue Note, 1964)

January 7, 2022

• Kenny Burrell – Kenny Burrell (Blue Note, 1956)
• Grant Green – Feelin’ The Spirit (Blue Note, 1962)

February 4, 2022

• Harold Vick – Steppin’ Out (Blue Note, 1963)
• Bobby Hutcherson – Stick Up! (Blue Note, 1966)

March 4, 2022

• Chet Baker & Art Pepper – Picture of Heath (Pacific Jazz, 1956)
• Blue Mitchell – Bring It Home To Me (Blue Note, 1966)

April 1, 2022

• Donald Byrd – At The Half Note Cafe, Vol. 1 (Blue Note, 1960)
• ScoLoHoFo (Scofield-Lovano-Holland-Foster) – Oh! (Blue Note, 2002)

I'll be interested to hear what people think about the Scofield / Methany lp given it is a remaster of a digital recording. No original analogue tapes with this one. £42.99 from Juno by the way.

Just got a dispatch notification from Amazon for the Methany... looking forward to this one!

Ditto: mine should arrive today, possibly at the same time as my copy of Matthew Halsall's Salute to the Sun which has also just been dispatched.

Thanks for the heads up on this one Tony - pfm saving me money for once! :D

Metheny landed safely in Amazon HUGE box. It sounds superb, I can see why they gave this one the audiophile treatment...

I'll be interested to hear what people think about the Scofield / Methany lp given it is a remaster of a digital recording. No original analogue tapes with this one.

That surprises me as the inner gatefold cover art is largely based around an analogue tape box! I’ve no issue with digital though, it’s been fit for purpose since the days of Donald Fagen’s Nightfly and has only got better since. As ever it is recording and mastering decisions that screw things up. It’s an area where I’ll never agree with say Michael Fremer. Stuff like the RVG Edition Blue Notes are crap because they are crap, not because they are digital!

Metheny landed safely in Amazon HUGE box. It sounds superb, I can see why they gave this one the audiophile treatment...

To show nothing is consistent, mine arrived in just the thick reinforced carboard sleeve - whihc is really all it needs - but Bass on Top came in a sleeve, box and paper padding. Go figure.

Playing it at the moment - it sounds fabulous. A little bonus is I'd forgotten how much I like the sound of Steve Swallow's bass playing and its sounds really fine on this record.

Just played the Metheny and Scofield album..it is astonishing IMHO. There goes the bank balance on other Tone Poet vinyl..doh!

My physio has this mantra about back pain - "dance with it , don't fight it " - the same goes for the TP records. Resisting is bad, indulging is good ;)

Yo-Yo.jpg

:confused:

advertisement

Back