advertisement

Ever wondered why recent BMWs look so unspeakably awful*?

People fear change.
Our survival instinct makes us suspicious of anything new or unusual, until we have acclimatised to it.
When the Bangle designs were rolled out, there was a mass throwing-of-toys-out-of-prams, years later, people think his designs were actually pretty good.
The E61 M5 still looks fresh today.
You'll love the new designs given time.

As in: "You're not ready for this".

I have owned many BMWs over the past 30 years, 3, 4 and 5 series. I considered alternatives from Mercedes, Audi and Volvo, but none offered the combination of design, performance, comfort and driving pleasure that I’ve enjoyed with BMW. Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, so each to his own on that front. However, when I first saw the grille on the new 4 series I thought it was horrendous, but already I have come to quite like it.

I too loved the 3 litre 6 cylinder engines but such things have to phased out to comply with exhaust emission regulations, which are anything but ‘propoganda’ as suggested above.

I now own a new 3 series. It may not a stunner to look at but the performance, comfort and refinement are a considerable step up over earlier models I have owned. The technology is amazing (no doubt too much for some people) but the materials remain pretty good, especially in comparison with the competition.

Among mass-produced cars, it's hard to beat the Fiat Multipla for ugliness:
2a6ae38e-a841-43b8-b216-d19bd404c6fe_Fiat-Multipla-min.jpg

'About as attractive as a freshly clubbed Monkfish' according to Clarkson. Or was that one of the Unos ?

I find it hard to imagine how the producer of some of the most breathlessly elegant designs ever could fall quite so low:

BMW-E9-3.0-CSi-HR-Fahrwerk-BBS-RS-Staggered-1.jpg

Isn’t the shape of modern cars heavily influenced by the safety requirements?, sure it looks cool but if it rolled I don’t think the roof would stay in place and if you hit something head on you would have an engine block where your legs used to be.

I hate it, especially on the 7 series - it just looks ridiculous... But I’ll never buy one so don’t give a flying ****.

Ford and Vauxhall/Opel have managed to avoid succumbing to that dreadful far eastern/Chinese blingy look and make some of the best value and nicest looking mass market cars on the road today. I'd be embarrassed to own a modern BMW. A shame really as some of their older car and bike designs were absolute classics, as well as being well built.

I can’t see any “dreadful Far Eastern/Chinese look” in any current BMW model. And as for Vauxhall’s being nice looking?? Well I think they look very dull and old fashioned and, for driving pleasure give me BMW anytime! Each to his own!!

Isn’t the shape of modern cars heavily influenced by the safety requirements?, sure it looks cool but if it rolled I don’t think the roof would stay in place and if you hit something head on you would have an engine block where your legs used to be.
Any car from that period is likely a death-trap in a crash but when you look at a car like that or say a Merc 300SL, or Lambo Miura you usually aren't thinking of the safety features (at meast I'm not)!

Or Kia. Apparently the grille is supposed to look like a tiger baring its teeth.
kiaceed01.jpg

I think it looks like Stephen Lewis

Stephen-Lewis-as-Blakey.jpg

At least Kias aren't visually offensive, unlike the current crop of BMWs which look horrific. There is no excuse for making cars look so wilfully hideous, you can have a big grille on a car and it look good - see the current Volvo S90/V90, or you can get it wrong like Ford did with the 'wide-mouthed frog Scorpio' in the 1990s, which bombed sales-wise. Good looking cars will always sell, ugliness always puts buyers off. GM had the arrogance in the 1990s/2000s of "Whatever we build, it will sell" resulting in oddities like the Signum (not actually a bad car, having owned one) and the Sintra which was an abomination. It made them bankrupt. BMW are going down the same path.

advertisement

Back