advertisement

Harbeth C7ES3 / C7ES3 40th.A.E / C7ES3 X.D Spendor SP 2/3R2 and Spendor Classic 2/3

Thank you very much @Gervais Cote, that was helpful. What you described about Spendor and Harbeth (except for the exhausting HF) was my general impression to between Harbeth and Spendor. In the reviews about the Classic 2/3 and the SP 2/3R2 was reported that they (especially the Classic 2/3) are more open and more dynamic but if the C7ES3, wich is the most warmth Harbeth I have listened to, was still clearer and more dynamic, then I'm definitely a Harbeth guy.

I love the Harbeth midrange and how they reproduce vocals, the different Harbeth speakers sounds different but IMO you can always hear that it is a Harbeth. Bass was tighter with every Spendor I have listened to compared to most Harbeth (maybe except for the M30.2 and SHL5+40th.A.E.) HF were more silk and valvet rather than airy.

My impression is that Spendors are all about being not fatigue under any circumstances, that is fine because people have different tastes but it seems to be that I prefer the Harbeth voicing.

Only out of interest, do you remember how big the room was and which amplifier was used?
The show room was about 20 feet wide x 25 feet long, the speakers were about 8 feet away from the back wall and I was about 12 feet away from the speakers leaving a space of 5 feet behind me.

Enjoying these Harbeth and Spendor Classic comparisons.

I have only heard Spendors (4/5 and 3/1), both superb. If/when I get a bigger, dedicated listening room I'd be keen to get the 3/1 (which have a lot of bass I found, yet still very clean and articulate), or the 2/3's, subject to a demo.

Would also demo Harbeth too. Value for money, however, at least on paper, seems far more in the Spendors' favour.

@Goat: I do it too, but would really appreciate if you start another topic for general comparisons like your post.:) I'm sorry to say, but for me it is offtopic here and I meant exactly such posts in #1.:oops: Please don't take it personal, I don't mean it in that way!:)

@brab: No, because of the OnTopic comparison of the speakers from the headline/#1. Room size and amplifier are relevant for me to bring the report from @Gervais Cote in context related to the HF and bass.

Apologies for not writing about the Harbeth speakers but I think my comments may be pertinent is you still have the HL5s in your room.
My listening room is 16m² with a strong 37Hz mode and was I very loath to buy a pair of big speakers that would overwhelm me with bass. In the end I found a pair of floorstanding speakers built by the diy Guru from "Humblehhomemadehifi", port tuned to 45Hz, and after a few emails asking if they would/wouldn't boom in my room I bought them.
They do not boom at all! but have plenty of bass.
Anyway now to come to the information that may be of help to you. Due to the nature of the port it is possible to change the tuning length very easily and I was surprised how extending/shortening the port (+-50mm in 140mm, 40Hz rather than 45Hz, 53Hz rather than 45Hz[boomy]) changed the bass character of the speaker.
If you still have the HL5 speakers then you could perhaps try this out. Extend the port by 5cm(?) with some plasticine and a piece of old cut off plastic tube (if you watched Blue Peter in your youth then a old bottle of washing up liquid). If the change works for you then you will still have all the plus points of the HL5 together with a not quite so dominant bass.
I like Harbeth loudspeakers and listened to some HL5s at a hifi show, I found the tweeter too sibiliant for my ears (my ears are the probably the problem not the loudspeaker !!), but otherwise very enjoyable.
I hope the information will help you with your speaker choice.

Thank you for your advice. I didn't have the SHL5 and also the C7 XD is sold because I have moved the system to our living room.

Probably worth a dealer dem. but I'd definitely stress in bold typeface beforehand that you don't want them to suggest any other speakers :)

advertisement

Back