advertisement

Harbeth C7ES3 / C7ES3 40th.A.E / C7ES3 X.D Spendor SP 2/3R2 and Spendor Classic 2/3

Chris81

pfm Member
Hello,
has anybody compared the C7ES3 or C7ES3 40th.A.E with the new C7ES3 X.D. or maybe the Spendor SP 2/3R2 and Spendor Classic 2/3? If so, how would you describe the differences?

I would really appreciate posts that ONLY answers that specific question.Thanks again for respecting my wish.
1f642.png

I prefer "no answers" to "random answers" or "general conversations" therefore I'm not interested in general advices or other comparisons or other speakers of the Harbeth or Spendor line. I have owned the SHL5, SHL5+, SHL5+ 40th.A.E., Compact 7 and listened to the C7ES3, C7ES3 40th.A.E, M30.2 40th.A.E and P3ESR in the past also Spendors S6e, S8e, S9e and SP 100 R. Therefore I wouldn't call me a newbie.

Isn’t the XD version of a Harbeth simply the incorporation of the Anniversary upgrades into the new model line up, I.e. the C7ES3 XD is the same speaker as the A.E. version?

Isn’t the XD version of a Harbeth simply the incorporation of the Anniversary upgrades into the new model line up, I.e. the C7ES3 XD is the same speaker as the A.E. version?
No, it's a complete reworking of the crossover and tweaks to the bass/mid driver.

Thank you very much @hifi_dave .:)
I'm looking for a smaller version of a SHL5+40th.A.E..
In my 14 sqm room a SHL5 adds +15dB @38Hz so I'm looking for an alternative.
I have tried the M30.2 40th.A.E. here. It was very good in the midrange but it was too much of a monitor sound (if you know what I mean) for my taste. It was more analyzing rather than listening experience. I missed some body and weight and a bit warmth in the bass department.

Do the C7ES3 40th.A.E. and the XP sound very different? I have listened to the 40th.A.E. and was a bit bored buy them out of the box in a 38sqm room, I guess the room was way too big for them.

The C7 was always the most relaxed and defensive sounding product in the line for me. Is it more open now and the bass tighter? Thank you very much again Dave

@ all: For safety, I don't like to add a sub nor do I want do discuss alternative speakers besides the ones written in the headline. I'm even less interested in discussing DSPs, EQs or anything other room tuning oder acoustic stuff and I would be very happy if the users here would respect my wish. Thanks in advance.:)

I would say what I have written is easy to understand.

Has anybody compared the C7ES3 or C7ES3 40th.A.E with the new C7ES3 X.D. or maybe the Spendor SP 2/3R2 and Spendor Classic 2/3? If so, how would you describe the differences?

I don't like random answers to a specific question, what sadly (I'm guilty too sometimes) seem to be the usual case. Anybody can start a topic that is interesting for him. I'm only interested in answering my question. Posts like the one from @hifi_dave are helpful, if there will be no further answers because nobody has compared them, that is absolutely fine for me.

I have done a lot of comparisons in this area. Whether they would be specific and exact enough for the limited thread remit is uncertain.

I have compared directly the C7 (pre 40th) to the SP2/3R2 (and SP1/2R2) and have preferred the Spendors. More natural sounding signature to me. I am mentioning the SP1 although it is in SHL5 territory as the C7 is a big speaker.

I had the C7 in my room they didn't lasted very long, unfortunately not for me.
Heard SHL5 and M40 several times, always slow bas-notes, which is sort of ok acceptable if price was much less.

I have done a lot of comparisons in this area. Whether they would be specific and exact enough for the limited thread remit is uncertain.

Perhaps you could start a new thread where random answers are not in your specific interest.

But I'm not interested in that! Why is it so hard to accept?
I have zero interest in general conversations about Harbeth or Spendor or other topic in this thread. I know that is unusual and maybe uncomfortable for some users but for me it is the other way with general conversations on specific questions.

Because this is not a military exersize but a discussion forum where some people could be provoked by unnecessary conditions.

Unnecessary in your opinion!
Look here for example: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/harbeth-xd-whats-the-difference.237890/

Some topic related answers but many general discussion

Interestingly you joined the thread there too only to provoke.

If I don't like a thread or have nothing relevant to say why should I join it? Only to provoke?

If people have general interest in discussing about Harbeth, Spendor, cables etc. why don't they start a thread like: "Harbeth, Spendor and BBC fans" ?

PS: These questions are rhetorical but I guess you will go on to provoke further.

Last edited:
I compared the Harbeth C7ES3 and the Spendor Classic 2/3 at a dealer in a very large listening room and here is what my ears told me, they were driven by a Supernait :

Harbeth : very natural, transparent and lively but all of my attention was on the midrange as it was taking all the place but it was very nice. For an audiophile listening to some midrangy music such as vocals and acoustic guitar, I can’t imagine anything better than that. IMO, this speaker doesn’t give a chance to a poorly recorded track as it will sound rather harsh. This wouldn’t be a good choice for me as they are too bass shy and the treble would be fatiguing on long listening sessions.

Spendor : more balanced overall with a midrange that doesn’t take all the place. Less dynamic and in your face but smoother and easy to live with when listening to music all day long. The kind of speakers that won’t be a star in a hi-fi show but everybody will appreciate including kids and wive, all IMO of course.

According to me, the Proac Response D2 would sit right just between these two speakers.

Thank you very much @Gervais Cote, that was helpful. What you described about Spendor and Harbeth (except for the exhausting HF) was my general impression to between Harbeth and Spendor. In the reviews about the Classic 2/3 and the SP 2/3R2 was reported that they (especially the Classic 2/3) are more open and more dynamic but if the C7ES3, wich is the most warmth Harbeth I have listened to, was still clearer and more dynamic, then I'm definitely a Harbeth guy.

I love the Harbeth midrange and how they reproduce vocals, the different Harbeth speakers sounds different but IMO you can always hear that it is a Harbeth. Bass was tighter with every Spendor I have listened to compared to most Harbeth (maybe except for the M30.2 and SHL5+40th.A.E.) HF were more silk and valvet rather than airy.

My impression is that Spendors are all about being not fatigue under any circumstances, that is fine because people have different tastes but it seems to be that I prefer the Harbeth voicing.

Only out of interest, do you remember how big the room was and which amplifier was used?

advertisement

Back