advertisement

America's Cup

Luna Rossa was better upwind all day, and Rita no longer has any discernable downwind advantage. Plus, Rita is still disadvantaged in light winds.

Perhaps both teams are very evenly matched in general, but I feel the Italians have made a better job developing the boat, and their manoeuvres are smoother, less violent. And they accelerate better, much better in fact. That 'slipperyness' that kept being mentioned.

It's a shame strategy didn't come into it so much today, from a spectators point of view.

The British boat looked to be back to its old slow self , slow to foil and slow on speed . Unfortunately the Italians seem to have better boatspeed upwind so we will need shifty winds to gain a win ,

Hmm. Lost on the starts really, shame as looking better. A long way back from here but if anyone can do it...

Nice to see strategy playing a part today, a good spectacle. Luna Rossa just slows less through manoeuvres and has slightly better speed. That, plus the obvious errors today meant the results were very fair. But Rita is very capable of winning with a decent breeze and a good hand, less so in light breezes...

Exciting racing today, but I fear Luna Rossa have it.
The boat just looks smoother and ever so slightly faster. Rita seems to be kicking up more spray in the tacks and a little less stable generally?

It's still close though, which is good - come back king eh?

I’m going to stay positive. Let’s say that Team UK put the old foils back on before the weekend, just to prove they were slower, and to make it more exciting. Now they’ll go back to the quick settings, and do the rest? Maybe?
It’s interesting that Ben has said nothing about boatspeed. All he says is “we didn’t sail well enough’.

Poor performance this time with bad starts and nearly an American magic moment and close to causing Sir BEN injury . It looked like they may have pulled up the foil too quickly .
Luna Rosa does seem slightly quicker and turns more cleanly so a lot of work to be done

Nice win but I still think Luna Rosa looks faster and it will be very difficult to win the series . Ainslie nearly got a good start on the first race which if it had worked would have given them a good chance of winning this as well so lets hope for shifty windy conditions for tomorrow

Ah bo££ocks. Was never in doubt after the wind softened. Well done Luna Rossa. At least someone in our house is happy.
So, what do we reckon on the final? Would be good to have a venue in the Med.

Rita just doesn't go so high upwind, I'm not the UK team could have won today under any circumstances.

Luna Rossa's sail plan looked so good, flat and smooth compared to Britannia. I think it was all down to the sails in the end. More like a windsurfing rig.

Shame it wasn’t closer but a predictable outcome unfortunately. Don’t think I’d like to call the final, just hope it’s tight.

Shame about the result, but compulsive viewing all the same. Well done Luna Rossa, looking forward to the real race!

A great shame but the British boat was not really on it in this series and just seemed a lot slower , I do think the design seems to work as well as the other boats and have gone down a dead end with the design . The hull looks much fatter and bulbous ,while Luna rossa looks more aerodynamic to cut through the air .

Well, it is not totally one-sided, but I'm thinking Spithill is a bit impetuous at times. The last leg in the second race was really impressive, the way ETNZ reeled L-R in.
It's all about the start. But that's my motto anyway, so no surprises there. I'm always surprised how many sailors give me 2-3 boat-lengths for free every time.

Honours even so far and we had 2 close races .Match racing is all about the start so we will have to see who can master this as the boats appear pretty even speed wise at this point . hopefuy we will be on for some more close racing and action

advertisement

Back