advertisement

Pass Labs INT-60 vs Accuphase/Luxman etc.

no both separate models. The int 25 is the int 30 replacement
As far as I know not, the Int 60 replaced the Int 30, and the Int 250 replaced the Int 150. The Int 25 is a new "budget version" because the prices for the Int 60 and Int 250 went nuts.

Just checked my amp - 30w class A. Uses 260w idle (!!!), 330w peak (!!!). Which is why it gets turned off when not in use :)

Just checked my amp - 30w class A. Uses 260w idle (!!!), 330w peak (!!!). Which is why it gets turned off when not in use :)
That is interesting, Hifi news measured 218 watts idle, Stereo 220 watt. Did you turn the volume control down to 0 and no signal was coming in?

there were 3 models the int 30 , 60 and int 250 . the int 25 has just superceded the into 30 as far as i know

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue79/pass_int60.htm

The INT-30A is Pass Labs’ second integrated amplifier, a 30-watt class A version of its INT-150 and based on the XA30.5 stereo amplifier. Though no lightweight at 60+ pounds, it does combine the space-saving benefits of an integrated with the sonic performance of Pass Labs’ XA.5 series of class A amps, which includes Pass’ patented Super-Symmetry™ circuit.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/passlabs3/1.html

That is interesting, Hifi news measured 218 watts idle, Stereo 220 watt. Did you turn the volume control down to 0 and no signal was coming in?

It doesn't make any difference with a class A amplifier. It draws the same power idling as it does at full output and actually runs a little cooler at full output.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2021/04/04/pass-labs-int-250-review/

Review by Steve Huff. It's not the INT-60 but a INT-250. Still, it's a Pass Labs integrated. There is a short note on the comparison to the Luxman L-590AXII.

Excerpt from the review :

"Luxman 590 AXII – Sweet, a little leaner than the Pass Labs with more detail so this is more for those who crave sharpness and detail over warmth and liquidity. Class A 30 watts but what it lacks in body compared to pass it makes up for in sweetness and dynamics. Made in Japan."

Warning : Very long review. I read it all though and it's quite entertaining.

I've never heard a Pass next to a Luxman, but have heard a good bit of Pass gear over the years, and it is excellent.

However, on some forums Pass owners can be a bit much, as some of them suggest it's the very best/only brand worth considering, which is going too far. The hype machine is similar to Naim's, albeit without the single brand track record of Naim.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2021/04/04/pass-labs-int-250-review/

Review by Steve Huff.
Excerpt from the review :

"Luxman 590 AXII – Sweet, a little leaner than the Pass Labs with more detail so this is more for those who crave sharpness and detail over warmth and liquidity. Class A 30 watts but what it lacks in body compared to pass it makes up for in sweetness and dynamics. Made in Japan."
I’d not classify the Luxman as lean, but I suspect it all depends on the speakers used and the room. With 15” Tannoys I get a good, solid bass with impeccable control. But it won’t add what’s not there.

I’d not classify the Luxman as lean, but I suspect it all depends on the speakers used and the room. With 15” Tannoys I get a good, solid bass with impeccable control. But it won’t add what’s not there.
Agreed that it is likely all down to the speakers apart from listening preference. In my mind, the Luxman L-590AXII is close to balanced/neutral as it adds or substracts very little to the sound. Perhaps leaning very slightly to warmth as opposed to lean.

The Luxman was described to be slightly lean when compared to the Pass Labs. Reading the whole review I get the feeling that the Pass is heavy at the bottom and middle, possibly with a stronger, punchier bass and fuller, warmer or more fleshed out midrange but with this slight warmth masking the detail in the midrange and treble. Or the detail is not reproduced by the Pass or it's there but sounding more faint as it gets lost in the background.

I don't know but somehow the description of the Pass reminds me of my old Plinius Class A amp - big bold and warm sound that is concentrated in the mids and bass but the overall sound is muddy and lacking in clarity and detail. The dynamics is there but it sounds too warm and lacks clarity and detail especially in the midrange and treble. The bass goes deep and has punch but it doesn't have the nuanced texture and layering. In other words the bass is also less detailed.

The Pass Labs INT-250 may not show too much of the negatives of the Plinius but I cannot help feel that it will have some of the attributes being a warmer amp which gives more in the mids and bass as described in the review. Also, as the reviewer puts it, the Pass is warmer than the Luxman, so that renders the Luxman leaner in comparison. If the Luxman is not lean but neutral on the scale, the Pass would be warm.

Reactions: JTC
I've never heard a Pass next to a Luxman, but have heard a good bit of Pass gear over the years, and it is excellent.

However, on some forums Pass owners can be a bit much, as some of them suggest it's the very best/only brand worth considering, which is going too far. The hype machine is similar to Naim's, albeit without the single brand track record of Naim.
Yes, I noticed few members on the Audiogon forum who regard the Pass Labs as the best amps in the world.

advertisement

Back