advertisement

Switch on the Onix OA21S

To me, it raises the question why, apart from aesthetics, some of us went chasing after a new Onix when Tony Brady (one of the original designers of Onix) is sitting over at Exposure producing equipment that, I suspect, sounds as good or better. Having said that, I have not actually heard any of Tony's Exposure designs but lots of people seem to like what he has been doing.
Reported SQ plus appearance had me chasing an OA21 forever, until... :(

I’ve known about Brady’s Exposure designs. What’s deterred me is their construction which AFAIK isn’t as classically simple as the Onix, perhaps making it harder or impossible to service in the future.

That's a good news! :D
The Onix has the transistors on a thick aluminium piece bolted to the bottom of the case. You could try touching under the case where the bolts' heads are and see if it is any warmer. I am not using mine and cannot comment about how warm it gets, from memory the top was indeed cool. I am using an onix power amp and it does get warmer at the bottom.

So what are you going to do with the nap250 then?

The bottom is also cool to the touch. So I'm taking that as another good sign, since these Saras are supposed to be pigs to drive. The NAP250 is staying in my living room, where it belongs :)

Reported SQ plus appearance had me chasing an OA21 forever, until... :(

I’ve known about Brady’s Exposure designs. What’s deterred me is their construction which AFAIK isn’t as classically simple as the Onix, perhaps making it harder or impossible to service in the future.

Well there is this in the classifieds: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/onix-oa21s.251967/

I don't know anything about recent Exposure construction but one thing Tony's integrated amp designs seem have in common is they are (I think) all passive preamp/amp combos.

Well there is this in the classifieds: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/onix-oa21s.251967/

I don't know anything about recent Exposure construction but one thing Tony's integrated amp designs seem have in common is they are (I think) all passive preamp/amp combos.

If I didn't have one already I would be all over this one. It looks in great shape too.
I had a dna50 on order (which didn't materialize) which was passive pre/amp. In fact the more I was looking at the images of the DNA innards the more I could see oa21s. The layout is almost the same.
I think (read it somewhere) that Onix oa21 is based on a Hitachi's design but don't really remember it details.

If I didn't have one already I would be all over this one. It looks in great shape too.
I had a dna50 on order (which didn't materialize) which was passive pre/amp. In fact the more I was looking at the images of the DNA innards the more I could see oa21s. The layout is almost the same.
I think (read it somewhere) that Onix oa21 is based on a Hitachi's design but don't really remember it details.
Sorry to hear you were also part of the DNA rort/scam. I’ve been philosophical. I’ve lost more dosh on vehicles, for instance.

I’ve read the Onix was based on the Hitachi notes too. Perhaps goes to show how little difference there can be between mosfet and bipolar design?

advertisement

Back