advertisement

BNC Connectors + Cable

Salamander

pfm Member
I'm not really a diy'er when it comes to hifi, but am needing a couple of decent quality digital leads fitted with BNC connectors. I seem to have been looking forever to find decent BNC's, Oyaide and Furutech make them but they are expensive although if this is what I have to pay then so be it. I sent a friend some links to slightly cheaper options, which can be bought over the internet, but unfortunately he was unsure whether or not they are true 75ohm's, even though on the advert they quote 75ohm. I'm looking for suggestions as to good BNC's and also can you really get away with non solder ones. I have read, that for the best connection, solder are the ones to go for.
Two cables I've looked at apart from the better know manufacturers ones:-
1M Germany YARBO SP-PSC-75O Hi-End 75Ω Pure silver coaxial digital audio cable | eBay and
PAPRI Newest MPS GX 8 4N 99.997% OCC Silver Cable DIY Upgrade XLR RCA Cables For HiFi CD Player Amplifier Audio Speaker Wire|Amplifier| - AliExpress
I'd be happy to hear from a more experienced cable maker any advice and thoughts on the above. :)

Thought I should add a link to one BNC connector. YARBO BNC-001A BNC Connector 75 Ohm Ø8.5mm - Audiophonics

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Crimp connectors are normally best but you must use the correct connector for the cable and the correct crimp tool for the connector.

This is for normal data cables. I`m not getting involved in discussion about special foo audio cables.

Thanks for that Barry. I have had some success today tracking down some BNCs, I found typing in F-BNC Female gets more results than BNC connector. I did find this one, ITC-18G/BNC · AudioQuest

I did not realise those cables foo, although made in China, MPS now have an established dealer selling them in the uk, and Yarbo are sold by Audiophonics, and are even alerting customers about counterfeit Yarbo cables on their website.

Thanks for that Barry. I have had some success today tracking down some BNCs, I found typing in F-BNC Female gets more results than BNC connector. I did find this one, ITC-18G/BNC · AudioQuest

I did not realise those cables foo, although made in China, MPS now have an established dealer selling them in the uk, and Yarbo are sold by Audiophonics, and are even alerting customers about counterfeit Yarbo cables on their website.

This is what I use Cable company on fleabay inexpensive & seem better than the F-BNC,s I have tried...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-GOLD...o-Antenna-Plug/370647740806?campid=5338728743

The cable I use is Webro WF100 also inexpensive and all copper.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thank you both for your suggestions, I spent a little more time yesterday looking on the web, I'm away from the uk now, and these cables are for my brother. I think we are down to two choices, Neotech copper NEI 3003 and there is a Neotech cable seller on ebay, he also makes up cables as cheap as you could yourself, he sells them with RCA's but I messaged him and he would put on BNC's. I found this site, and Furutech work out at £24 each and the other one I like SinnOxx Gold Master £4.50 BNC Connectors | dienadel.de
The other cable is Neotech silver NEVD-2001 and one cable made up works out at £124 Neotech NEVD-2001 BNC Digital Cable Deep Cryo Treated - Digital/Video - (takefiveaudio.com)

Seriously, the link @mansr gave you is the one to follow. At no time working for Wolfson (before they were consumed by Cirrus) on their DAC design and in the test room did I see anything other than the standard RS offerings.
Signal testing using these cables was done at accuracies that are completely over the top for hifi and you'll be wasting money on anything else.

Although I fully appreciate everyone's suggestions given in good faith, the idea was to see if the stock cables on my bother's dCS clock could be bettered, and if we could hear a difference. I have seen and read how good Belden, Canare and Mogami are for relatively cheap prices, (I own a Mogami interconnect and know how good that is, it took on and bettered quite a few more expensive cables, one of which cost £400) I just thought we would try and move one more step ahead of them. We are believers in cables make a difference, his power cord left us both looking at each other within the first few notes, and yet interconnects we have both found improvements in sq to be very subtle. Our thoughts were, if we had a known quantity, any future upgrade in cables, (two are needed and not one) which can cost a considerable amount, had to be seen as cost effective.

You are more likely to get an effect by choosing different lengths of one type than different brands of the same length

You are more likely to get an effect by choosing different lengths of one type than different brands of the same length

I have read of getting better sq by changing 0.5m to 1.0m and even more. Snake River Audio only sell their Digi Cable in 1.37m lengths since they say that is the optimum. My brother really only needs about 0.4m, but will try and go for 1m at least even though part of the idea was to 'tidy up' the wiring.

The length of the cable makes absolutely no difference whatsoever unless it is so long that losses become too great. Typical coax should be fine up to at least 100 m. Below that, there is no such thing as an optimal length.

Cable length has alarming effects when you are performing EMC emissions tests. As the process is reciprocal, I would expect it to also have some effect on RF immunity. We tend to standardize on 1-3 m cables during testing
Some measurements http://www.compliance-club.com/archive/old_archive/020528.htm

Absolute twaddle. Nowhere do they mention reduced emissions from cryo-genically treated cables or the effects of cables stands or cable plating materials. At best it is a overly narrow investigation which has no relevance to Hifi applications.

Absolute twaddle. Nowhere do they mention reduced emissions from cryo-genically treated cables or the effects of cables stands or cable plating materials. At best it is a overly narrow investigation which has no relevance to Hifi applications.
I hope that you are leg pulling, some of us have to test and pass EMC standards in the real world, I have been doing this for 35 years and it is not easy.
These days I have to test for RF immunity as well and have seen strange things happen just because of cable layout.

Yes, totally tongue in cheek. I have watched people struggle with this sort of stuff in high speed digital testing systems and very high frequency board design and get thoroughly muddled.
Of course one of my managers insisted I design in curved tracks into a clocked DAC reliability test board. He didn't appear amused when I suggested jam jars in the corners of my oven to catch any stray electrons that didn't make it around the corners.

Anyway, too much digression on poor Salamanders thread, apologies. Hope you can forgive us!

I was responding to the idea that some specific length around 1 m would give better or worse sound than a few inches more or less. That is crazy. EMC issues with long cables are a different matter entirely and also not relevant to buying digital interconnects of moderate lengths.

Two ready made cables have been purchased and are winging their way from the US of A as I type this.
As always I am very appreciative of every ones comments whenever I've asked a question on pfm.

I can Stuart, and yes, afraid to say most folk would call it high price, it's a Crystal Cables Dreamline or Dreamline Plus, purchased 2ndhand for half price. I can truly say we were amazed at the difference between it and a Russ Andrews pc.

advertisement

Back