advertisement

Plastic in kettles...

JimmyB

pfm Member
After removing try the filter in our Dualit Classic today I ended up with what looked like carbon black all over my fingers. Turns out the filter, the holder and the spout insert were degrading and presumably getting into the boiled water.

Dualit sending up a replacement but part of me reckons on not putting it back in if a filter adds more than it takes away!

Makes you wonder what's seeping into us through cups of tea and whatnot.

Repeated intense heating + plastic parts = not good in my book. I found a 100% stainless steel one a few years back. Was really hard to find one that didn't have some plastic inside. Was this one from Ottoni:
https://ottonifabbrica.com/en/home/15-alice-nero.html

They are not cheap but finding one that doesn't have plastic is not easy. Pretty much every one on Amazon advertised as "Stainless Steel" has a plastic lid and some plastic inside. If you have an induction hob might be easier to go with a conventional kettle as I hear induction is super fast.

As above was my solution. Went to a stainless steel kettle suitable for use on gas, electric and induction stoves. 15€ from my local Auchan

This is interesting/disturbing as I suspect have the same Dualit kettle (mine is this one, though I got it in a sale for £45). To be honest I hadn’t even noticed it had a filter! Mine seems ok so far, but I’ll have a better look later. I assume it would still work without either the filter or its holder? I may just remove it entirely. Annoying as I only bought it as I was getting so annoyed throwing cheap plastic Chinese crap in landfill every couple of years. I bought a proper Dualit toaster too for the same reason as that I can service myself as spare elements, timer etc are available.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
our lasted about 3 years. Elements went, they are very poor quality.

Mine has gone longer than that already. I don’t mind replacing elements, that generates way less waste than flinging a whole Chinese plastic toaster into landfill every couple of years. Mine is this one in cream and I really like it. I wish I’d bought one decades ago, it’s like a Quad 303 or whatever in that if it breaks you can just fix it. No need to ever bin it.

PS It makes superb toast too!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Our Dualit toaster has lasted over ten years so far, no issues. I think someone told me they did drop their quality a few years back, not sure.

Mines at least 10 years old still on original elements.

as far as kettles go , would removal of the filter stop it from completing its boil?

Think they've still got their top quality stuff like Toni's toaster but there are other ranges which are cheaper and less bombproof.
Think they're all designed to be repairable, this kettle certainly says it is in the manual.
Got a Magimix toaster ourselves, truly excellent and spares seem available easily so far but as it has PCBs in it then I'm guessing these will be the weak point.

I presume it is just a particulate filter? carbon?

shouldn't stop the k boiling?

Rowlett toaster here.
worlds-longest-toaster.jpg

No removing filter seems to be fine for boiling and the lack of a spout insert has quickly been overcome.

Was going to get a Rowlett but the Magimix was too good on special offer when new 'Vision' one came in.

Our Dualit toaster has lasted over ten years so far, no issues. I think someone told me they did drop their quality a few years back, not sure.

ours is a 25 yrs old 2 slot, a wedding gift. I have replaced 1 element about 12 years ago. Makes good even toast. Sometimes wish the slots were a bit wider.

We bought our Dualit kettle at the same time as the toaster. Again, fine, but it’s probably not used as often as most kettles.

The thing is it doesn’t matter if a Dualit toaster dies as unlike 99% of modern stuff it is fully serviceable and supported. Here’s the spares page for mine. Anyone capable of using a screwdriver and following basic wiring can replace anything that can break or wear out. This is exactly what I’m banging on about on the Right To Repair thread elsewhere. With these toasters Dualit score 100% IMO. I will happily pay more to own product of this quality/design integrity. I have no intention of ever buying another toaster. If Dualit ever vanish as a business I’d stockpile some spare elements and a timer at that point.

advertisement

Back