advertisement

Tonearm “rigidity”: beliefs, myths and revisionism

As i use a Transcriptors made Michell badged Hydraulic Reference TT with hard PTFE pads for the record to sit on, I did not think to mention Len's Cartridgeman Music Mat a platter mat which extrapolates the isolation principle. I have modified a write up by a company that sells/sold the Music Mat, I only heard it in Len's system with his cartridge wearing an Isolator on his Conductor tone arm the result sounded superb.

"The Music Mat from the Cartridge Man was the result of countless weeks of development; made from a pitted soft polymer, it's designed to stick to your platter and offer a substantial upgrade in vinyl playback performance. The mat has a very low surface tension which gives the underside a sticky feel, allowing it to almost weld itself to the surface, making a bond of great integrity and an inert base for the record to lie on. The topside has been treated to prevent the same level of adhesion to the record, without compromising the compliance or inherent quality of the design.

The mat provides isolation from the mechanics of the turntable whilst giving the record soft but stable support. The only thing you need to do before playing a record is to re-set the VTA of your tonearm (as the mat is 6mm thick), then sit back and enjoy the music.

The Music Mat was tried on a few turntables and the results are sonically stunning. Due to its damping properties and ability to isolate the record from platter, music is played with a lower noise floor, greater dynamics and more accurate sound staging."

"The Music Mat from the Cartridge Man was the result of countless weeks of development; made from a pitted soft polymer, it's designed to stick to your platter and offer a substantial upgrade in vinyl playback performance."

I've yet to see a manufacturer describe their product as making things worse!

The Music Mat from the Cartridge Man was the result of countless weeks of development

I very, very, very much doubt that. Trial and error trialling commercially available polymer sheet, quite possibly. Making bespoke polymer sheets? Not one way in a gazillion.

The mat has a very low surface tension which gives the underside a sticky feel,

Now there is a very interesting concept....................................... quite probably new to science.

Due to its ********************** ability to isolate the record from platter,

It doesn't, if it did the record wouldn't move.

I've yet to see a manufacturer describe their product as making things worse!

Len the maker never made any comments or elicited articles about any of his products, it was down to the consumer/reviewer to decide, they usually found out as I did by by word of mouth. The quotes as I said in my piece are from a retailer It to save my typing but gave credit to the writer.
I would agree that most manufacturers & retailers would tend to indicate improvement with no downside

advertisement

Back