advertisement

EWA LS80 speaker cables

My '80's arrived today - annoyingly I was in bed as my covid seems to be trying to make a comeback, and I'm not up to any listening, but having swapped over from my '40's there is an immediate change - it's all BIGGER.
It may be a few days before I write any more as we are meant to be going away for a couple of days (if I'm fit enough) but it seems that each EWA speaker cable is a jump up in every positive way I'd want.

I have been lurking on this thread for a while and the LS80 seem to be very impressive. Has anyone used them with stand mount speakers as i would be interested on how they performed.

I don't think anyone here will say that you get bloom or boom - not from the cables anyway. But they will enhance your bass as they let more music out. More likely your room will boom than the cables
I would try LS40s first - depending what you have now. Some on here have them for sale

I have been lurking on this thread for a while and the LS80 seem to be very impressive. Has anyone used them with stand mount speakers as i would be interested on how they performed.

I have ATC SCM19 standmounts. The 40's were already fantastic, no bloom or boom at all, just quality bass. I'd recommend you get on the tour. I'll be trying some 80's too.

Bass is my main concern. I want fast and tight bass and not to introduce boom and bloom.

Hi Muttley 2, (best cartoon ever BTW:D) Obviously bass issues can arise from lots of problems like the room, listening position, amp without enough grip etc, so I can only state my own experience in respect of bass control, which you might find reassuring.

I use PMC 25.26 speakers, which are quite large floor standers (1040x192x439mm) that thrive on powerful, grippy amps and which you would expect to be more prone to bass bloom than smaller units. It can be an issue in my room if components or speaker position aggravate it.

When I installed LS-80 the scale and heft of the bass increased massively, but it was underpinned by a tight, clean delivery that revealed far more texture, shape and tonal variation in the lows, rather than just a monochromatic, low sound. The control of bass is exemplary, which is evidenced by the great variation in bass output between different pieces of music....in some recordings where you are used to hearing a lot of bass, the sound is cleaned up and bass seems tighter, drier and less prevalent, but in recordings where bass is genuinely coming on strong at source, the delivery is seismic, massive and refined. This to me is evidence of far less colouration and the LS-80 gives by far the best bass delivery of any cable I have ever experienced. Bass can be so dynamic it is more of a presence that seems to envelop the listener like a shock wave, rather than a sound coming from the speakers. It can be a thrilling listen and I keep trying to find tracks with kick drum just to experience it! This is blended with great detail, realism and balance in performance throughout the rest of the frequency range, so it is no one-trick pony.

Hope this helps,

Cliff.

I use TQ Silver at the moment
I personally think LS-25 is a step up from Silver ( I have Silver on KEF LS50s in the office) LS-80 is a huge step up, really tight fast bass and great dynamics but also low down deep bass definitely no bloom, bags of detail and space but not harsh sounding in anyway, very natural

@Cereal Killer has tried the LS40s with standmounts.... depending what cables you have now you might find these are a big improvement

l had the LS40 with ProAc Tablette 10's and they were pretty darn amazing, the Tablettes sound big anyway, however with the LS40 - wow wee! They sounded massive and effortless- so God knows what the LS80 would do....Jez or any other non cable believer would have to admit they sound like a component upgrade because that is what it feels like- plus a huge emotional attachment to the music being played.:)

Can't comment on LS80 but I have used both LS25 and LS40 with Royd RR1's ( small floormounts ) Royd RR3's ( standmounts ) and NVA Cubes ( standmounts ) all with same effects ie bigger soundstage more detail and a grippier solid deeper bass. Never experienced any bass bloom from either speakers. I think EWA speaker cables really do change any speaker in a very positive way irrespective of what hardware you use. They just get a real hold of the drivers and make them sing like you have never heard them perform before - hence worth every penny spent imho.

Does the general recommendation to always use equal lengths of cable for each channel currently stand?

I could get away with 1x3.5m and 1x1.5m (but currently use 2x3.5m Witchhat Phantom)

Trying to think of ways to afford a pair of LS-80...

@ABCaudio @CJ14
Alan/Colin
My LS80s have arrived! Now, my question is about directionality. How critical is the directionality - because the spade end is (in an ideal world) at the wrong end if I follow the direction arrows. I can probably make it work if the directionality makes a real difference - just thought I'd ask as getting round the back of my amp / rack isn't easy for repeat cable switching :D

Watch this space folks for more commentary in the next few days...........

advertisement

Back