advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my old Nikon D80, which suffered badly from noise at anything but modest ISOs, I used to smooth the sky out in PS, then introduce film grain, it really worked well.

DSC_5024_crop.jpg

-Steve

Pleasant bimble round Stapleford Wood this morning - all the more so as the ground's still good and solid...

Stapleford 2 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Leica M-P typ 240/Voigtländer Ultron 35-f2

I much prefer the images coming from this combo of lens/camera compared with the Nikon..sharper and a much more punchy image..this shot is quite magical...

I much prefer the images coming from this combo of lens/camera compared with the Nikon..sharper and a much more punchy image..this shot is quite magical...

It's a shame the Voigtländer lenses can't really be made to work on the Df - they're really quite special and in a different league to the old AF-D lenses. I do have a Nikon F to M mount adapter though, will get round to trying it some time.

On my old Nikon D80, which suffered badly from noise at anything but modest ISOs, I used to smooth the sky out in PS, then introduce film grain, it really worked well.
Yes I have used that trick as well - luckily (or unluckily) for me most of my cameras are old and noisy at anything above base iso - especially compared to all the new kit. I like grain or noise myself I used to rate Tmax3200 at 25,000 asa and develop in Tmax developer at 24 C for 45mins to an hour and then print part of the negative to give " grain like golf balls".......might have to dig them out (if I can find them!......)

It's a shame the Voigtländer lenses can't really be made to work on the Df - they're really quite special and in a different league to the old AF-D lenses. I do have a Nikon F to M mount adapter though, will get round to trying it some time.

I think you will find the lens will only be useful for close up work. The Nikon Flange distance is 46.5mm whereas Leica M is around 27.80 mm. I have been having the same problem with a LTM Voigtländer on my Nikon kit, its just too far from the film plane or sensor to be of any use - unless you like macro! Or have I misread and are you wanting to use the Nikon on the Leica in which case in theory it should be fine if a bit bulky:)

I think you will find the lens will only be useful for close up work. The Nikon Flange distance is 46.5mm whereas Leica M is around 27.80 mm. I have been having the same problem with a LTM Voigtländer on my Nikon kit, its just too far from the film plane or sensor to be of any use - unless you like macro! Or have I misread and are you wanting to use the Nikon on the Leica in which case in theory it should be fine if a bit bulky:)

I was actually wondering (with regard to using M mount glass on a Nikon) if someone such as Metabones or Fotodiox made a type of adapter to make the lenses useable. Think it's a hope too far.

I do have a K&F adapter to put Nikon lenses onto my Leica though. The old AI 105-2.5 works really nicely, even if its size looks a little bit odd. The Leica EVF2 comes into its own here.

The flange distance is the problem due to the reflex design the mirror will be in the way, I can lock up the mirror on my old F2 but then loose the viewfinder, M glass I guess would be fine on the Z series or many other mirrorless cameras that have a shorter flange distance. Off to work now a lot warmer out there...

Last edited:
Our Emma - her X-Box died about 6 weeks ago (totally dead) so bless her she's had to wait all this time to get gaming again. Making up for lost time (strictly controlled though of course)...

Nintendo by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Olympus Pen F/Lumix G 20-1.7

Bless her. My son has recently discovered Minecraft on his Nintendo Switch and he is addicted! He even made me buy it on my PC so I can join in and play with him. His favourite phrase at the moment is 'Ask me some questions about Minecraft'. I'm thinking of getting a T-shirt made with it on for him :D

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back