advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

I find it harder and harder to resist the itch for waiting DAC #4. The one that I would want to try is the Tambaqui, but the pandemic prevent me from going to listen to one. Think the closest dealer is either in Stockholm or Amsterdam so travel is involved. Think it would also be an interesting DAC to benchmark Johns DAC against.

Going to listen to a potential new DAC is undoubtedly essential travel ;)!

Well, my journey for a power amp is over. I know which ones I want to live with - EAR 516 (the present one), Leak Stereo 20, EAR 861. The VFETS mean nothing to me. Last night I dreamed that I received 2/3 of my money back - not that it will ever happen. If the VFETS ever materialise they will be sold or traded for something useful.

Well, my journey for a power amp is over. I know which ones I want to live with - EAR 516 (the present one), Leak Stereo 20, EAR 861. The VFETS mean nothing to me. Last night I dreamed that I received 2/3 of my money back - not that it will ever happen. If the VFETS ever materialise they will be sold or traded for something useful.

Rosewind do you receive any correspondence from JW regarding the VFETs? I know there are a fair few people on here with a hefty amount of cash invested in the amps.

While i understand that Dacs, detox, digital noise and atomic reclocking clocks and flux capacitors are all bleeding edge, open to advancement, experimentation and selling onto third part manufacturers, i would have thought the amps would be strait forward established technology/topography etc and can't understand why they haven't been delivered for the investors that forked out thousands.

I have copied the payment emails from Renata and one or two emails from my Gmail account and a copy of the words that John sent me regarding investment changes and some pms he sent me here on PFM. Unfortunately John left the PM conversation here so all his own communication was deleted. I wrote Tony L and he did not know that when someone left the conversation their pms eould be deleted.

But ... I have the quotes that I included in the PMs.

I'm amazed there has been no correspondence between those who invested thousands and JW!?

I get all the "MDAC 2, then the detox (sold to a private bidder), then the FDAC, then the VFETs..." timeline of broken promises, none of this applies anymore, nothings been delivered.

...and then the DAC chip factory burned down...

So... why aren't the amps being made and what is the reason why they aren't?
They seem a straightforward design for someone so knowledgeable?

EDITED multiple time to include more info.

I think we have been over this before. John's possible reasons are not difficult to imagine.

-Has John spent the money paid to him for boards, components or enclosures for the ... 5 ... then 10 ... then 20 ... then 30 ... or more VFET projects financed by us? Does anyone know? When I joined, the plan was for 5 to 10 sets at most. What about the FDAC payments?
- Why did John expand the number of investors for MDACs and VFETs and Detox? Because he kept running out of money?
- Does John have 30+ sets of VFETs (including spares) in his possession so he can build and repair the VFets according to his promise of lifetime warranty (his or my lifetime, I would like to ask)?
- Does John have the will, the mental and physical strength + the time available to fulfil his project promises?
- Continue the list at your own pleasure ...

Here is my payment copies list:
uYuOfPel.jpg

And here are the words that John used to hook me on the VFET project in 2014:
"I'll [not] openly publish the cost of the TUBE / VFET current dumping amp as I'm a little embarrassed about it each time I'm asked.... knowing that they are so expensive…
9xJxE3vpfWTF4Qe8wvvvqtV0FvvvVyAIsWfaArBGd798thF385znQrT6NdQ87x90SPwBLoKZknh19lv7rMY2qZsyxIRooo2XtBIdsy_jqGYzE1Wj-xTcJudOXskPiibEMchBf7M

Please understand that these amplifiers are intended to be a very limited hand built reference design and hence the development cost, ie. the PCB design and production is a significant amount when amortised between such a small numbers of units. The numbers are obviously primarily limited by the availability of the VFETS.

Information on the VFETS:-

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-...vfet-amps.html

I've selected the very best components for each stage of the design (such as the 4 Pole Tcaps capacitors used in the PSU section, High MU military dual grade Sub Miniature Triode, VFETS in the ClassA stage & NOS MOSFETS for the current dumping stage):-

The Amplifier topology will be based on a JAN6112 High Gain military grade miniature Triode used in the input Diff Stage – this “gain block” is based up the unique circuit developed for the TDAC – it’s fully balanced with direct coupled (no AC coupling capacitors) – operating in Current mode.

This balanced Tube Gain stage drives the VFETs operating in ClassA (about 5W) which is coupled to the speakers via a Bridge “sensing” circuit (AKA Quad Current Dumping). This ClassA stage via the bridge circuit controls the operation of the MOSFET Current Dumpers – Basically the dumpers “Bootstrap” the VFET ClassA stage, so that the VFETS “believe” they are driving a fixed 5W load (within operational limits, the ClassA stage delivers 5W’s at all times +/- a small error signal “filling in” for the non linearity of the Dumper section, typically less then 0.01%.).

The VFET ClassA stage delivers the first 5W to the speakers with the “Dumpers” providing the balance. As the Dumpers are controlled via the ClassA stage (the ClassA stage is always delivering the first 5W), the Amplifiers sound quality is determined by the “Triode like” VFETs This allows high power from a single pair of VFETs’ – also, protecting the “precious” VFETS from adverse load conditions.
CpMvdYqMeg3fO4U78RpzrlxLIIOs6aXO7oZ0_W5GLMQjFL6kUQe0sOO3DvYAmeL4dB1frUtcqBuP1NEIftD2c0uAc7rgqJdA85e6f068MNZuqblwcbgnyJK2Dv2Tbvkki_AbHKs

Output power target is at 200W to 250W – with fully balanced inputs.

The Dumpers are six pairs of NOS vertical Hitachi MOSFETs, again limited stock (I still have same from my Pink Triangle days).

It’s a low feedback design (however the Feedforward Bridge helps to further improve linearity) with a target THD at 1W of around 0.0005%

These Amplifiers are very much a background project (while the MDAC2 takes shape) – also giving me time to perfect the design; hopefully the first units will be built around Christmas (this year) I plan to use these as during the audition of the MDAC2… as I’ll really need something much better then my current amps – and an amp that can drive my ML CLSIIz’s
CpMvdYqMeg3fO4U78RpzrlxLIIOs6aXO7oZ0_W5GLMQjFL6kUQe0sOO3DvYAmeL4dB1frUtcqBuP1NEIftD2c0uAc7rgqJdA85e6f068MNZuqblwcbgnyJK2Dv2Tbvkki_AbHKs

Cost for a pair including the new Donor MB’s (Black or Silver) is £3500 (which includes two pairs of extra VFETs for future spare parts)..

Payment is £2300 upfront, which is partially used to secure the donor 8200MB's, Tubes & VFET's etc.

The balance of £1200 would be payable once the final units are being constructed towards the end of the year – in time for Christmas.

Due to the limited supply of VFETS, these might be the very best Analogue amplifier I'll ever design unless someone start to re-manufacture VFET type devices.
9xJxE3vpfWTF4Qe8wvvvqtV0FvvvVyAIsWfaArBGd798thF385znQrT6NdQ87x90SPwBLoKZknh19lv7rMY2qZsyxIRooo2XtBIdsy_jqGYzE1Wj-xTcJudOXskPiibEMchBf7M
"

The build of "a very limited hand built reference design" is what I agreed to fund after John allowed me to transfer my MDAC payments (including one for a salvaged MDAC).

That makes me laugh, I have used kit that uses the 6112 valve. They always go noisy. I have changed so many that i gave up on the equipment. Doesn't bode well on the VFet amps I think.

"The rest was silence" is not strictly speaking correct: I tried two or three times to get out but John stalled me and even went as far as promising me to build a much revised power amp only version of a Quad integrated amp. In this way I hoped to get out with something showing for all my naivety, but again Janauary, February and perhaps longer went in that year without John fulfilling his promise of a very special amp. Then I basically told him I just wanted my VFETs and he could write me when he had the build ready and then I would come to where he lives south of Prague and get them. But no more contact or promises until he delivered.

Now we are in 2021. Many years have passed since 2013/2014. That was then, this is now. In the meantime, I fear that I have been sitting in a park on a bench with a few other naive bums "Waiting for John's VFETS".

Hi Rune. It’s been way too long, no argument about that. But I think it’s going to happen this year . . . .
It has been imminent for years, but I hope it is true this time at least a DAC so we can expect VFETs in 2022.
I sincerely hope it will happen so John can move on and harvest the fruits of his hard work and the stress of being beyond behind of schedule.
I also like to see some commercial versions of the DAC that will boost pride of ownership.
Munich is in September so that gives John a little more time this year.

advertisement

Back