advertisement

How good is the Squeezebox Touch ?

A touch with its own osu is a very good streamer at a bargain price. I liked mine a lot but the big surprise came with a Teddy psu. The noise floor dropped dramatically and allowed the music out of the speakers. This really is a formidable combination and I dread to think how much you would need to spend to get any improvement.

The only reason I sold mine was that having a nas turned out to be a bit of a pain for me. If I had bought a silent nas then I would probably still be using the sbt. It really is a remarkable piece of kit.

I always presumed that those who describe the Touch as flakey etc. Just didn’t read the instructions properly or had some network issue as my set up was solid as a rock. My Pi is just the same.

Love mine, seldom play CDs since it joined the set up 10 years or so ago, the I Peng app seems to work well enough to do all I need.

I had a classic as my original streamer which died. I now have a raspberry pi as server and streamer running picker player and an allo boss dac but I couldn’t be happier with still running lms and I use iPeng to control everything although the web interface with the material skin is really good too.

The fact that LMS is still so actively supported and updated is amazing when squeezebox as a brand died out some time ago.

The Touch has been with me since it came on the market; three of us over on AOS bought at the same time to get a nice discount.
Without a dac its sounds ordinary but shines with a better one. I use it with a lithium battery, I think it makes a difference but dont care if its just in my head. Its been totally reliable apart from the coating on the remote which became sticky and had to be scraped off. Really appreciate the forum and the dedicated people who upgrade it with new versions. Always have a listen to Radio Paradise Flac stream of a night through the Touch.
Dont know what I will buy when it goes to hifi heaven but I might bury in the garden with a little headstone.

Well there's a lot of good vibes going on here with the SBT - but what would most interest me is - has anyone 'returned' to the SBT after trying other streaming hardware? Perhaps esoteric streaming hardware?

And of course - is the SBT in your main rig or your bedroom rig so to speak?

Anyway right now I have hooked the SBT into an AN 0.1x (in the main rig - where else).

Likewise - I love mine and see no reason to change it - in fact if it broke I'd be looking for a secondhand one first before looking for something else. I think I saw it recommended on here when it was ~£180 on Amazon - an absolute steal.

I'm intrigued that so many people think the SMPSU is poor and changing to linear PSU makes such a difference. The idea of spending more than I pad for the SBT on a Teddy Pardo 5V PSU seems mad to me - I think I'd spend it on a spare SBT in case mine dies

Surprised at the differences some say they make. I think I’d be more inclined to buy the a spare SBT as well.

I had a Teddy PSU on mine as well. I thought it made a good deal of difference. I was fortunate enough to get the Teddy for £125 used, but even at new price, when taken as whole cost (Teddy and SBT together) I'd say it makes an excellent streamer.

Only recently swapped mine out after around 7-8 yrs or so. I had a primare i21 amp, bushmaster dac and the SBT and it all sounded wonderful. Only reason i changed was i wanted to lower my box count and also try a Naim product so i now have a Naim Atom. The Naim is a little better but the difference isnt massive and certainly not 2 grands worth.

Only recently swapped mine out after around 7-8 yrs or so. I had a primare i21 amp, bushmaster dac and the SBT and it all sounded wonderful. Only reason i changed was i wanted to lower my box count and also try a Naim product so i now have a Naim Atom. The Naim is a little better but the difference isnt massive and certainly not 2 grands worth.

Did you have a linear PSU on your SBT - or did you run it off its stock PSU at the time. I'm convinced that a better power supply lifts the SQ of this thing very noticeably!

I had a NDS/XPS here for a while. The SBT into the NDS was indistinguishable from using the NDS as its own streamer. The SBT is an excellent source. I now use it with a LPS into a TeddyPardo DAC, and it is plenty good.
I tried the SBT analog outputs with a variety of PS options. The standard Logitech SMPS was by far was the worst. Much better was an i-Fi SMPS, and by the same degree again was a choke regulated LPS.
But when the SBT was used only as a digital EDO streamer, the iFi sounded as good as the massive LPS with a 1200VA transformer etc.
Moral....if you use the SBT as a digital source, the iFi PS is about as good as you need. But if you plan to use its analog outputs, then there is the diminishing returns of an expensive LPS.

advertisement

Back