advertisement

Chromecast into Dac?

Hi, I’m wondering if anybody’s using a chromecast audio direct into their dac, and if this is considered to be a good enough signal, with minimal enough jitter and noise?

Hi, I’m wondering if anybody’s using a chromecast audio direct into their dac, and if this is considered to be a good enough signal, with minimal enough jitter and noise?

I used to use my Chromecast into my Arcam airDAC a couple of years ago. It worked great. I’m running it directly into my Quad 33 preamp now via analogue output and it’s just fine.

I think audioscience did a test on it and it’s by no means near the bottom for measurements like jitter and noise.

I use a Chromecast into a CA Dacmagic 100 using mainly spotify.
I find it pretty good on the whole, but it's the secondary part of my system. For £130 odd quid it's a bloody marvel really!

Depends on the rest of your kit, your source that is being casted and your expectations I suppose?

I use a Chromecast into a CA Dacmagic 100 using mainly spotify.
I find it pretty good on the whole, but it's the secondary part of my system. For £130 odd quid it's a bloody marvel really!

Depends on the rest of your kit, your source that is being casted and your expectations I suppose?

Mine is being used with 16/44 FLAC files from Tidal via Roon. The Chromecast is Roon Ready so is very simple to use in this way.

I use one into my rega dac r and works brilliantly. Only thing which may bother you is no gapless playback. I think the jitter is low and most dacs buffer the jitter out anyway

Great little device. A pity they discontinued it. Funnily enough it probably still is the cheapest roon endpoint in the market.

I'm using one into a digital pre and onto monitors or headphones. It's been transparent enough to highlight the difference in quality between Spotify and qobuz for me, and I'm not exactly golden eared. For the money I don't think it has any competition!

Have done for years in two systems. Modern dacs re-clock incoming data and so are jitter agnostic.

Yep, direct in to a Naim nDAC/TXPS. Works very well - the dac provides a rather significant uplift in music quality.

I use mine for SoundCloud and BBC Sounds. Runs into a Chord Qutest and sounds rather good. The analogue output is pretty good too (Mini output is both analogue and optical).

Huge bang for buck.

Yup. Used it into my UnitiQute2 while i was trialling Roon. worked perfectly. Sounded great - almost indistinguishable from the UQ2 internal streamer

Yes, using mine straight into a mojo. The mojo is set to line into the back of my amp and it sounds absolutely great. The Chromecast is set to Hifi mode.
I use chromecast as my secondary source, for Tidal and BBC Sounds, and have a turntable for serious listening. I mention this because a friend of mine is digital front-end only and found it frustrating that Chromecast can’t handle Tidal Masters streams, reverting back to Tidal Hifi setting only.

I have a Chromecast Audio running in a second system, Roon in play.
I’d say it’s very good overall, I don’t think the jitter is too much of a problem if at all to me. I think you might find some data on Audio Science Review on that, if of interest.
I have the unit connected to an ancient Meridian 518 and then into a pair of 18 bit Meridian DSP6000s.
My only issue is that the Chromecast can freeze, meaning it looks like it is playing but there is no audio. A simple press of the play pause button resets. This happens when switching between albums or if the Roon radio is on. This could be a local set up issue to me, I don’t know. That said for the £30 or so I paid second hand for it, I can’t really grumble.

Yes, using mine straight into a mojo. The mojo is set to line into the back of my amp and it sounds absolutely great. The Chromecast is set to Hifi mode.
I use chromecast as my secondary source, for Tidal and BBC Sounds, and have a turntable for serious listening. I mention this because a friend of mine is digital front-end only and found it frustrating that Chromecast can’t handle Tidal Masters streams, reverting back to Tidal Hifi setting only.
If you have a full fat MQA DAC, it's possible to stream Tidal Masters via ChromeCast Áudio. You just have to use the mconnect App (at least it works in the paid version).

I use mine for SoundCloud and BBC Sounds. Runs into a Chord Qutest and sounds rather good. The analogue output is pretty good too (Mini output is both analogue and optical).

Huge bang for buck.
Probably the best bang for buck ever. Not the best sound quality as a streamer though.
A Node 2i is clearly better IMO.

I have achieved great results by using CCA via optical cable into a good DAC. Better than/as good as high end streamers in my view

advertisement

Back