advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nail > head. I was so cynical about the Df on its release, seeing it as a rather half-baked attempt at appealing to the more hipster-orientated market niche. Having lived with mine for a while, getting used to its menus (which are typical Nikon anyway, ie 'just right') and handling, its feel etc I've had to eat humble pie big style. Not it's not for everyone, but as an image making machine that's so damn nice to use, it's one hell of a tool. Mattius Burling is a huge fan of the Df, and I can totally understand why.

'Just right'. It's phrase I often use when describing Nikon products. Particularly their handling and ergonomics which are second to none in my opinion. I'd love

As is Mark Littlejohn

Indeed - it was his images made with the Df which first turned me on to the camera. I think there would be a market for a Zf. Same size / aesthetics, but updated with a Z mount. It would have to be full frame too. Price should be sub £2k. Pair it with one of the upcoming pancakes primes from Nikon for a diminutive but powerful combination.
I think that the files are beautiful, they seem to have something indefinably 'special'. Am I right, or just imagining it, it should be hard to tell at Internet resolution?

I used to love the files from my very humble Nikon D80, some of my best photos taken on that rather lightweight camera. It must be something to do with the older sensors perhaps?

Indeed. It's well known that Nikon's modern sensor's are manufactured by Sony (but still designed by Nikon). I wonder who made and designed the early Nikon sensors. Does anyone know?

Lefty

What Lies Beneath by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor Z 24-70mm f4 S

....and here's the print :)

50930037198_183d4c6d76_b.jpg

Lefty

Indeed. It's well known that Nikon's modern sensor's are manufactured by Sony (but still designed by Nikon). I wonder who made and designed the early Nikon sensors. Does anyone know?

Lefty

I have it on reasonably good authority that the D700's sensor was by Panasonic, but not sure about the Df/D4.

I have it on reasonably good authority that the D700's sensor was by Panasonic, but not sure about the Df/D4.

Interesting....

I wonder how much of the modern Nikon sensor's is down to Sony.s manufacture and how much is down to Nikon's design? i.e. are Nikon just customising a base design by Sony, or are Sony purely manufacturing a 100% Nikon design?

Given Sony's history (the original Playstation was essentially a Nintendo design, but then Nintendo decided that CDs were too slow to load and abandoned the project, which Sony then put their own badge on and sold) my worry is that Sony stole Nikon's sensor design and used it to break into the camera industry.

Lefty

Aye - that Mark LJ seems to be getting the hang of it. :D <breathtaking photography>

Done a quid search and came up with this which makes for interesting reading. It doesn't pretend to be a totally accurate run-down but may hopefully shed some light (ooer) on the Nikon sensors' origins.

Seems I may be wide of the mark re the D700 sensor being made by Panasonic.

The Df/D4 seems to be in house.

The older sensors are CCD, the newer ones CMOS. I had wondered if this made a difference.

Interesting, I didn't get involved in the TVRCC until 1990, but I suspect several people I know you know (Colin Lyons, Adrian Venn, John Simpson, Russ Wood.....) I too was a serial owner with a range of cars culminating in a 96 Griffith500. That Tuscan V8 would be worth a bob or two now.....................
Sounds like you started with TVRCC as I finished. I gave up on my last one and bought a new Quattro Turbo which was a revelation and TVR were dust.

I lived near the founders of the club, Pete and Angel Watkiss , for a whilewho were 'interesting' characters! Colin Lyons rings a bell but the others, possibly but too far in the past to recall. I was extremely jealous of Martin Lilley when he turned up at an event that I was involved with. Driving his Ferrari Daytona Spyder!

My mates in that era included Steve Lane, John Baillie, Doug Manuel, Stuart Halstead and his girl friend plus a few others whose names are now distant memories. I was also a regional organiser, founding the Hertfordshire meet, as well as organising the hire of Goodwood circuit for a weekend of fun.

That Tuscan V8 was a heap!

Aye - that Mark LJ seems to be getting the hang of it. :D <breathtaking photography>

Haha - indeed! ;)

Done a quid search and came up with this which makes for interesting reading. It doesn't pretend to be a totally accurate run-down but may hopefully shed some light (ooer) on the Nikon sensors' origins.

Seems I may be wide of the mark re the D700 sensor being made by Panasonic.

Very interesting! It seems Nikon have had a long standing relationship with Sony when it comes to sensors.

Lefty

Lefty

When almost 20 years I was buying my first Digital camera Nikon Coolpix4500 (anyone remember this made like a brick camera ?) I was told that a sensor is Panasonic made.
But I have never tried to investigate it more.
20 years later the Coolpix works perfectly with its 2 original batteries bought at that time.
I let my children play with it for years and they were not able to damaged it :cool: . Such a unbelievably quality product.
At the same period of time I managed to kill two other pocket cameras myself :p .

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back