advertisement

Amp for KEF LS50's? No Digital inputs.

Went through a few options when I got mine. I settled on a Leema Pulse. I felt LS50's worked better with a good amount of power, also the Leema has a great phono stage

I've had very good results with a class d amp. powering my LS50's. This was in a nearfield situation though, may be different result in a larger room.

I've had very good results with a class d amp. powering my LS50's. This was in a nearfield situation though, may be different result in a larger room.
I'm currently using a Gato 250S NPM which is Class D and sounds great. I'm not using the Digital inputs so thought alternative amps might be interesting!

As a darko audio review suggests a Rotel ra10 is a surprisingly good match. I did have this going for a while as alternative to a Rega Elex r with the LS50s which did not gel for me !

Don't believe the nonsense hifi forum myth that you need huge power to drive LS50s, my 35wpc Ion Obelisk 3 drives mine beautifully. They are extremely revealing speakers so you need quality not quantity. I've owned an Audiolab 8300A before but not at same time as the LS50s but I would imagine they would make a great match.
TS

I bought the original LS50 to use in a small room system nearish the walls with a Rega Brio-R and also tried them with a Naim UQ2. Neither amp really made them sing and I was a bit disappointed, a pair of RS1 worked much better in that room.

Trying them in the main room with more powerful amps well out into the room on R2 stands was like a different speaker. I ended up buying 3 more and using them in a 5.1 system with some serious watts, they worked very well in that AV system especially for multichannel music.

I reckon they need a bit of welly to give their best but always try yourself cos who knows what will gel together.

Don't believe the nonsense hifi forum myth that you need huge power to drive LS50s, my 35wpc Ion Obelisk 3 drives mine beautifully. They are extremely revealing speakers so you need quality not quantity. I've owned an Audiolab 8300A before but not at same time as the LS50s but I would imagine they would make a great match.
TS

Do you find they integrate well in your room, in the bass? I’m very sensitive to port boom and noticed when I visited you when you had the Tannoys your room was smallish.

A speaker you can’t give too good an amp to IMO. The pay back good solid weight and grip, and given no budget is mentioned I’d say Accuphase, Luxman, Sugden Masterclass, Conrad Johnson, Krell etc. They are good speakers and won’t be outclassed in this company. Totally different amp requirements to the LS3/5A school IMO despite being marketed as a tribute.

PS If budget is a constraint I’d look at a Quad 606-909, chunky Meridian etc. You want some grunt.

Do you find they integrate well in your room, in the bass? I’m very sensitive to port boom and noticed when I visited you when you had the Tannoys your room was smallish.
They need some room to work, if they are too close to the front wall the bass will become boomy & muddy + the soundstage will collapse. The port bungs help with the bass but won't restore the soundstage. I had mine about 300mm from the front wall & I only play at fairly moderate levels so I think that's about as close as you can get before you start having issues. Part of the reason I couldn't live with the Tannoys long term despite there being great speakers was to do with some bass boom at higher levels. They are the only speakers I've had in the 6 years I've lived in this flat that have drawn comments from my neighbours.
TS

A speaker you can’t give too good an amp to IMO. The pay back good solid weight and grip, and given no budget is mentioned I’d say Accuphase, Luxman, Sugden Masterclass, Conrad Johnson, Krell etc. They are good speakers and won’t be outclassed in this company. Totally different amp requirements to the LS3/5A school IMO despite being marketed as a tribute.

PS If budget is a constraint I’d look at a Quad 606-909, chunky Meridian etc. You want some grunt.
I think they would sound great on the end of a 34/306 as well.
TS

A bit off the wall after all the worthy choices above, but I power mine with a several year old Devialet 170. Inexpensive used and great with the LS50’s. DAC and phono stage included. Haven’t heard the new little KEF KC62 sub but if it is half as good as has been reported, add it to the above and have quite system for not much money in audiophile terms.

I grabbed a pair a couple of weeks ago as there are some crazy good deals on the original model at the moment.
Set them up near-field and got amazing results with a Cyrus 8/PSXR.

I did briefly try them on a 13w capacitor coupled Pioneer from 1972, just for giggles.
No I didn't get much sense of grip or slam (the LS50 can surprise here) but it still sounded excellent at low-moderate listening levels.

Remarkable little monitors, sure to already have a place in the loudspeaker hall of fame.

I use a Class D NAD with mine and they work very well. The two piece supplied foam bungs work well if bass boom is a problem.

I agree it is one of those speakers that won't be shamed by more expensive amps.

Luckily budget isn't an issue but I'm really not into amps that I can't easily lift! Being a 10 stone weakling that limits me somewhat:eek:

A bit off the wall after all the worthy choices above, but I power mine with a several year old Devialet 170. Inexpensive used and great with the LS50’s. DAC and phono stage included. Haven’t heard the new little KEF KC62 sub but if it is half as good as has been reported, add it to the above and have quite system for not much money in audiophile terms.
Yes the KC62 looks very interesting indeed.

Sony TA-A1ES. A quasi class-A design. You might not think of Sony first thing, but this combination is *fantastic!* Really.

advertisement

Back