advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now there are a lot of idiots out there breaking Covid lockdown rules.

But surely the biggest (and most influential) idiot is our PM who responds to a perfectly valid question asking if having his photo taken gurning in a vaccine factory hundreds of miles from home is 'essential travel for work' by saying “nobody raised that issue with me before or since” and “nothing and no-one one is going to stop me” visiting all parts of the UK.

It's like Cummings. Entitled, arrogant. The rules are for everyone else.

Stephen

Last edited:
RIP my next door neighbour but one, mid 50's Indian* taxi driver. His wife and two 20 ish daughters all got Covid at the same time, his worsened and needed to be on a ventilator, got an infection and died yesterday.

Great to see vaccination happening fast but this shit is still real.

* I only mention this as there is evidence that Indians and other ethnic groups seem to have a worse reaction that other groups.

so sorry to hear this .

James O'Brien on LBC now having interesting chats with folks not willing to take the vaccine, specifically BAME community and what their concerns are. Certainly an eye opener.

The Astra vaccine is as limited as 10% effective against the SA variant.

"...it showed very little protection against mild to moderate infection, though they expressed hope that – in theory – it would still offer significant protection against more serious infection."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...cine-10-effective-south-african-variant-study
"10% effective" - Gav, is this a responsible headline? Small study, zero evidence that it won't stop severe disease, most likely scenario it will - and that's basically all that we initially hoped for from the vaccines:

"He said its effectiveness against serious infection could possibly be inferred based on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which uses “similar technology”. “Extrapolating from that, there’s still some hope that the AstraZeneca vaccine might well perform as well as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in a different age demographic that are at highest risk of severe disease,” he said.

He added that laboratory studies could reveal it is not just antibodies that are effective in protecting against severe disease, but also T-cell immunity."

This is the third quite misleading article The Guardian has rung out of this one concerning but limited study.

I found this short thread helpful for context:

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1358539975122419712?s=20

"10% effective" - Gav, is this a responsible headline? Small study, zero evidence that it won't stop severe disease, most likely scenario it will - and that's basically all that we initially hoped for from the vaccines:

"He said its effectiveness against serious infection could possibly be inferred based on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which uses “similar technology”. “Extrapolating from that, there’s still some hope that the AstraZeneca vaccine might well perform as well as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in a different age demographic that are at highest risk of severe disease,” he said.

He added that laboratory studies could reveal it is not just antibodies that are effective in protecting against severe disease, but also T-cell immunity."

This is the third quite misleading article The Guardian has rung out of this one concerning but limited study.

It will rapidly become the dominant strain as more people receive the AZ vaccine...

Boris & Stanley have been developing a vaccine?! Does it alter your brain chemistry so that you're more likely to vote Conservative?

You mean journalism, presumably? Not how science is supposed to work.

How the virus spreads. If people become immune to the current strains of course other strains will become dominant. The question is how much protection will be provided? What do they mean by 'moderate illness' - hospitalisation but probable survival?

How the virus spreads. If people become immune to the current strains of course other strains will become dominant.

I think I've just discovered another fatal strain in my toilet that is resistant to all know vaccines, I'm just about to phone the Guardian now.

You mean journalism, presumably? Not how science is supposed to work.
I think he means how viruses work. If we become immune against one strain but not against another, that other strain is going to fill the void left by the first.
As I understand it, it is being researched if a slightly modified third booster shot could be given later to increase effectiveness against new strains.

How the virus spreads. If people become immune to the current strains of course other strains will become dominant. The question is how much protection will be provided? What do they mean by 'moderate illness' - hospitalisation but probable survival?
I guess these are questions that a responsible journalist might ask before rushing out scare stories.

I think I've just discovered another fatal strain in my toilet that is resistant to all know vaccines, I'm just about to phone the Guardian now.

I have had a few strains in the toilet, fortunately non fatal, hadn’t you better call an ambulance?, there may be still time to save you!.

I have had a few strains in the toilet, fortunately non fatal, hadn’t you better call an ambulance?, there may be still time to save you!.

I'm well past saving unfortunately. I'm going to walk out into the snow like Oates.

Guardian bashing from the right isn't a good look Sean ;)
Seriously Gav their coverage is garbage and on this story in particular. They're misrepresenting the purpose of vaccines, they're misrepresenting how significant the SA variant is in the UK (I mean how fast is it going to take over, under lockdowns, with a very speedy vaccination program? What is the likelihood that we won't have an updated AZ vaccine by then? What is the likelihood that we won't be able to switch to another of the vaccines we already have, if it turns out to be spring or summer rather than autumn?) and they're feeding CLOSE THE BORDERS NOW hysteria from the right and from FBPE liberal types. And it's all perfectly in character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back