advertisement

Should there be a consequence for vaccine refusers?

It’s a ‘numbers of patients and logistics’ game, not a time game. With unlimited resources, and cooperation from authorities (rolling data reviews rather than batch review when all data are in) speed is achievable.

In many 3-year drug developments anything up to 24 months is waiting for approvals or organisation and for patients to be found.

I really don't think you can criticise people for scepticism regarding taking a vaccine that's been rolled out in a matter of months without years of proper testing.
Taking a gamble either way, with the vaccination probably the safer option.

Might have had a touch of legitimacy ten months ago but now 10 million have tested it for them and that worry is over.

Looks as if serious side effects are rare, nobody i know has had more than a slight arm ache. The producers used to say
they stopped worrying too much after the first three million.

Definitely a better risk than a long slow suffocating death.

this thread is not about vegans.

It's true this thread is not directly about veganism... but indirectly, it most certainly is.

I only saw the thread this morning & please forgive me, I gave up reading as I saw the increasingly unpleasant - but entirely predictable - direction in which it was going.

I have no intention of being vaccinated for the time being until the safety of these vaccines is much better understood. I have family members who are immuno-compromised and respect their and others wishes to be vaccinated. If my position disqualifies me from flying etc, then so be it. But as for the self-righteous bile that several members have spewed forth, however understandable that may be due to their family situations, please consider the following.

Despite what the health authorities tell us, we are still a long way from fully understanding not only the virus & its mutations, but also how to treat it. Obviously, no health minister will say this, but stop fooling yourselves. We are only just at the very beginning of a learning curve to understand to what extent being vaccinated will truly reduce transmission. We have little idea which of the vaccines will prove the safest and most effective in the longer term & almost no idea if they will work against future mutations. One of our failings as a species is the ability to accept how little we truly know, whilst insisting that we do know, when we are really just hoping.

What is the real problem with this pandemic, apart from the above mentioned lack of specific understanding ? I agree with Attenborough that we - humanity - are the likely cause and it is just part of the global catastrophe that is unfolding around us. I expect most of us watched "Extinction : The Facts" a year or so ago. For those who did not, it's all about massively accelerating biodiversity loss and the very dangerous consequences this will likely have for our future on the planet; from the BBC website:

"Last year, a UN report identified the key drivers of biodiversity loss, including overfishing, climate change and pollution. But the single biggest driver of biodiversity loss is the destruction of natural habitats. Seventy-five per cent of Earth's land surface (where not covered by ice) has been changed by humans, much of it for agriculture, and as consumers we may unwittingly be contributing towards the loss of species through what we buy in the supermarket.

Our destructive relationship with the natural world isn’t just putting the ecosystems that we rely on at risk. Human activities like the trade in animals and the destruction of habitats drive the emergence of diseases. Disease ecologists believe that if we continue on this pathway, this year’s pandemic will not be a one-off event."

The major part of this destruction of natural habitat is for animal food production, either directly for grazing or for vast feed monocultures.

In recent years, the extensive Oxford University research into climate change has stated that cutting meat and dairy products from our diet could reduce an individual's carbon footprint from food by up to 73 per cent. They say it's by far the largest difference any individual - and therefore society - can make : yet there is not even a suggestion from any government to mandate it. There isn't because most of us insist on turning a blind eye to the barbarous practice of factory farming just so we can enjoy our Full English etc (and if you think it's not barbarous, show a YouTube slaughterhouse video to your grandchildren and watch their reaction).

If all you want to do is angrily condemn the small number of people who for ethical or other reasons choose a "wait & see" approach to Covid vaccines, whilst not taking much wider responsibility yourself for being part of the real problem & not at all the solution, then do so, but basically you're in denial about your own role as a largely ignorant member of the human race. It is therefore totally hypocritical to pick on a gentle fellow like @windhoek if it is possible that you yourself are a bigger part of a wider, but entirely related, problem & are making less effort to reduce your footprint in this respect. Please note that I wrote "if".

Unless we get with THIS aspect of the program pretty darned quick, it's not going to matter who gets vaccinated. My niece's partner heads up an ecological foundation; he's a very well-informed fellow & privately expresses the view that the latest data suggests it's already too late to reverse potential extinction level climate change.

So veganism is more than relevant, but so many here - and everywhere else - just won't go there, addicted as we are to our meat and dairy based diets. I understand people are extremely frightened and want to point the finger, but until we collectively point the fingers at ourselves, we're dragging each other collectively over the cliff edge, just not for the reason BT suggested.

Imagine a vastly more evolved alien species watching the human extinction process from afar, "Look at them, they worked out what they needed to do on that wonderfully abundant planet, yet were so greedy, cruel and selfish that they just couldn't help themselves... all in denial, just about the whole, darned lot of them ...".

Might have had a touch of legitimacy ten months ago but now 10 million have tested it for them and that worry is over.

Looks as if serious side effects are rare, nobody i know has had more than a slight arm ache. The producers used to say
they stopped worrying too much after the first three million.

Definitely a better risk than a long slow suffocating death.

I wasn’t aware of this. Genuinely thought it took years to trial and analyse vaccines for potential side affects etc

Inevitably there will be restrictions placed on people declining vaccination. Obvious ones are working with others at serious risk of death. Quite how you can have health and care workers who’ve declined to be vaccinated, carrying on in their current jobs would seem illogical.

Good post Simon and fair play, I stand down as I hadn’t realised that. My personal view is that it should be enforced and there should be consequences but if it’s purely voluntary then no there should not be consequences.

“Vaccine nazis” -crikey Bob, sensationalism doesn’t make or a break a point well made, that should stand on its own merits. Like Simon’s.

I stand by the vaccine nazis claim.
There are spittle flecking individuals on here positing compulsion for everyone.
At times this thread resembled Gilead and its totalitarianism.
I have no intention of wasting my time debating it with such people. In the end their opinions on a hi fi forum mean nothing.
I just pointed out that there are many people who cannot have the vaccine on medical grounds.
I am not anti vax. I am not no vax. I have been invited to make an appointment to get my vaccination. I have not yet been able to do so despite my best efforts. Presumably the centre is too busy. I have been asked by my GP not to bother them trying to find out why I cannot get an appointment. I will respect that request. I will get it as soon as I can.

It's true this thread is not directly about veganism... but indirectly, it most certainly is.

I only saw the thread this morning & please forgive me, I gave up reading as I saw the increasingly unpleasant - but entirely predictable - direction in which it was going.

I have no intention of being vaccinated for the time being until the safety of these vaccines is much better understood. I have family members who are immuno-compromised and respect their and others wishes to be vaccinated. If my position disqualifies me from flying etc, then so be it. But as for the self-righteous bile that several members have spewed forth, however understandable that may be due to their family situations, please consider the following.

Despite what the health authorities tell us, we are still a long way from fully understanding not only the virus & its mutations, but also how to treat it. Obviously, no health minister will say this, but stop fooling yourselves. We are only just at the very beginning of a learning curve to understand to what extent being vaccinated will truly reduce transmission. We have little idea which of the vaccines will prove the safest and most effective in the longer term & almost no idea if they will work against future mutations. One of our failings as a species is the ability to accept how little we truly know, whilst insisting that we do know, when we are really just hoping.

What is the real problem with this pandemic, apart from the above mentioned lack of specific understanding ? I agree with Attenborough that we - humanity - are the likely cause and it is just part of the global catastrophe that is unfolding around us. I expect most of us watched "Extinction : The Facts" a year or so ago. For those who did not, it's all about massively accelerating biodiversity loss and the very dangerous consequences this will likely have for our future on the planet; from the BBC website:

"Last year, a UN report identified the key drivers of biodiversity loss, including overfishing, climate change and pollution. But the single biggest driver of biodiversity loss is the destruction of natural habitats. Seventy-five per cent of Earth's land surface (where not covered by ice) has been changed by humans, much of it for agriculture, and as consumers we may unwittingly be contributing towards the loss of species through what we buy in the supermarket.

Our destructive relationship with the natural world isn’t just putting the ecosystems that we rely on at risk. Human activities like the trade in animals and the destruction of habitats drive the emergence of diseases. Disease ecologists believe that if we continue on this pathway, this year’s pandemic will not be a one-off event."

The major part of this destruction of natural habitat is for animal food production, either directly for grazing or for vast feed monocultures.

In recent years, the extensive Oxford University research into climate change has stated that cutting meat and dairy products from our diet could reduce an individual's carbon footprint from food by up to 73 per cent. They say it's by far the largest difference any individual - and therefore society - can make : yet there is not even a suggestion from any government to mandate it. There isn't because most of us insist on turning a blind eye to the barbarous practice of factory farming just so we can enjoy our Full English etc (and if you think it's not barbarous, show a YouTube slaughterhouse video to your grandchildren and watch their reaction).

If all you want to do is angrily condemn the small number of people who for ethical or other reasons choose a "wait & see" approach to Covid vaccines, whilst not taking much wider responsibility yourself for being part of the real problem & not at all the solution, then do so, but basically you're in denial about your own role as a largely ignorant member of the human race. It is therefore totally hypocritical to pick on a gentle fellow like @windhoek if it is possible that you yourself are a bigger part of a wider, but entirely related, problem & are making less effort to reduce your footprint in this respect. Please note that I wrote "if".

Unless we get with THIS aspect of the program pretty darned quick, it's not going to matter who gets vaccinated. My niece's partner heads up an ecological foundation; he's a very well-informed fellow & privately expresses the view that the latest data suggests it's already too late to reverse potential extinction level climate change.

So veganism is more than relevant, but so many here - and everywhere else - just won't go there, addicted as we are to our meat and dairy based diets. I understand people are extremely frightened and want to point the finger, but until we collectively point the fingers at ourselves, we're dragging each other collectively over the cliff edge, just not for the reason BT suggested.

Imagine a vastly more evolved alien species watching the human extinction process from afar, "Look at them, they worked out what they needed to do on that wonderfully abundant planet, yet were so greedy, cruel and selfish that they just couldn't help themselves... all in denial, just about the whole, darned lot of them ...".

Your post was a bit long and lost me.
Something about vegetables.

I don’t know anyone who is addicted to meat products. Is that a thing?

You have family members who are immuno-compromised, I hope you are avoiding them. I hope you are making the vulnerable people that you know aware of your position, so they can take appropriate action.

I thought the self-righteous bile was emanating from the person who is happy to act in a manner that is selfish and ignores the concept of society?

This bit made me laugh. :)
“whilst not taking much wider responsibility yourself for being part of the real problem & not at all the solution, then do so, but basically you're in denial about your own role as a largely ignorant member of the human race.”

You then got even more preachy.

Well done. Give yourself a self-congratulatory high-five.

Maybe start a thread on how veganism is the answer, and how all who don’t agree with everything you say are the enemy.
And don’t forget to point out how ignorant everyone is.

In recent years, the extensive Oxford University research into climate change has stated that cutting meat and dairy products from our diet could reduce an individual's carbon footprint from food by up to 73 per cent. They say it's by far the largest difference any individual - and therefore society - can make : yet there is not even a suggestion from any government to mandate it.

I disagree, the biggest contribution any individual can make to climate change is to not have children. To quote from here :-

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org... study of the,appliances and light bulbs, etc.

"A 2009 study* of the relationship between population growth and global warming determined that the “carbon legacy” of just one child can produce 20 times more greenhouse gas than a person will save by driving a high-mileage car, recycling, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, etc. Each child born in the United States will add about 9,441 metric tons of carbon dioxide to the carbon legacy of an average parent. The study concludes, “Clearly, the potential savings from reduced reproduction are huge compared to the savings that can be achieved by changes in lifestyle.”

*Ref:- https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/population_and_sustainability/pdfs/OSUCarbonStudy.pdf

That's a major reason I chose not to have children.

CHE

It was so extreme I never dreamed anyone would take it seriously. Clearly, I was wrong.

I take things as they are written.

There was no indication that it was meant in any way but seriously.

But then your ‘I never thought anyone would take it seriously...’ is the stock reply when confronted by their own words.

Inevitably there will be restrictions placed on people declining vaccination. Obvious ones are working with others at serious risk of death.

I’ve found this thread interesting as it suggests even with successful vaccines and mass availability we are unlikely to achieve herd immunity due to superstition and irrational beliefs within what appears a fairly substantial subset of the population. I am no authoritarian so I respect anyone’s right to be dumb, but I also respect others rights to protect themselves from the risks such people clearly present. I’d certainly fully support employer's rights to sack such people without any further explanation. That is freedom of choice and helps provide a responsible and safe environment for other workers, customers etc. Given the severity of this virus, and depending on the number of anti-vaccer nutters, I’d maybe support a vaccination card as an entry requirement to public venues, as the rest of us clearly don’t want to be in the presence of dangerous toxins. I see it logically as no different to searching for guns, knives etc. If you are dangerous to others you aren’t getting in.

From a personal perspective I’ll wait until I see far better statistics and do my own risk assessment, but if vaccine refusal is a widespread phenomenon I can’t imagine ever going to a pub or restaurant again. It is an awkward situation as I am genuinely not authoritarian at all, and I just don’t care in the slightest if people kill themselves due to their own stupidity and ignorance. Seriously, meh. That is their absolute right. The only question here is how best to defend the rest of society from a toxic and potentially lethal sub-group where the virus will clearly remain and mutate placing those who have been vaccinated at risk. Education has to be the best approach, but how you counter this level of irrationality I have no idea. The overlap with the Trump/Q-Anon right is clear and the scale beyond anything I’d have thought possible. Scary times.

Does any of this matter if the threshold for herd immunity is around 70% of the population vaccinated?

I believe the % of the UK population willing to have the vaccine is well above that, so no need to go fash on people who might not want to.

Persuasion is fine; no need to get heavy.

The 70% figure is speculative (could well be higher) and is an average for any kind of herd-immunity. As is well-known, there is a strong correlation between vaccine refusal and ethnicity. Where there are large communities of people within the same locality where vaccine take-up is markedly lower, then it is reasonable to expect this will result in islands of infection, widening the risk for all.

I agree that education, persuasion, countering ignorance & conspiracy b*ll*cks is likely to be more effective than ranting or bullying, but it is surely vital that as many take the vaccine as possible rather that be happy with an average figure as low as 70%.

Yet it was a simple virus that killed off the advanced and evolved aliens in H.G Wells 'The War of the Worlds'.

We have the technology to improve our lives, and save lives. Lets use it.

I’ve found this thread interesting as it suggests even with successful vaccines and mass availability we are unlikely to achieve herd immunity due to superstition and irrational beliefs within what appears a fairly substantial subset of the population. I am no authoritarian so I respect anyone’s right to be dumb, but I also respect others rights to protect themselves from the risks such people clearly present. I’d certainly fully support employer's rights to sack such people without any further explanation. That is freedom of choice and helps provide a responsible and safe environment for other workers, customers etc. Given the severity of this virus, and depending on the number of anti-vaccer nutters, I’d maybe support a vaccination card as an entry requirement to public venues, as the rest of us clearly don’t want to be in the presence of dangerous toxins. I see it logically as no different to searching for guns, knives etc. If you are dangerous to others you aren’t getting in.

From a personal perspective I’ll wait until I see far better statistics and do my own risk assessment, but if vaccine refusal is a widespread phenomenon I can’t imagine ever going to a pub or restaurant again. It is an awkward situation as I am genuinely not authoritarian at all, and I just don’t care in the slightest if people kill themselves due to their own stupidity and ignorance. Seriously, meh. That is their absolute right. The only question here is how best to defend the rest of society from a toxic and potentially lethal sub-group where the virus will clearly remain and mutate placing those who have been vaccinated at risk. Education has to be the best approach, but how you counter this level of irrationality I have no idea. The overlap with the Trump/Q-Anon right is clear and the scale beyond anything I’d have thought possible. Scary times.
Not true. The UK has one of the highest vaccine compliance rates in the world:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...e-covid-19-vaccines-will-people-have-the-jabs

The herd immunity threshold is debatable but most of the stuff I've read puts it at around 70% of the population vaccinated.

That's why I think non-compliance is a non-issue (though there might be certain communities or parts of the UK where a focused pro-vaccine message is needed).

The 70% figure is speculative (could well be higher) and is an average for any kind of herd-immunity. As is well-known, there is a strong correlation between vaccine refusal and ethnicity. Where there are large communities of people within the same locality where vaccine take-up is markedly lower, then it is reasonable to expect this will result in islands of infection, widening the risk for all.

I agree that education, persuasion, countering ignorance & conspiracy b*ll*cks is likely to be more effective than ranting or bullying, but it is surely vital that as many take the vaccine as possible rather that be happy with an average figure as low as 70%.
The 70% figure is what worked for smallpox, which is more contagious and airborne. (As opposed to borne by the air). As with smallpox there will be geographical differences. I suspect the 70% will be limited by practical concerns and that anti-vax people will account for few of these. In practical terms I'm happy for anti-vax campaigners to sidestep it because at this stage it brings me up the queue and the risk is to the individuals. Once vax rates go beyond 30-40% then the sums shift a bit; at the moment it's safe for me to assume that everyone I see on the street is unvaccinated and therefore a risk. Up to 10% that doesn't affect my behaviour. To be honest, once vaccinated the presence of unvaccinated people around me is no biggie. I was inoculated for TB aged 14, as we all were until about 2000. TB is out there, in homeless people, people in very poor quality housing, and those who missed inoculation by bad luck, medical exemption, or being of other nationalities. However it is sufficiently low lying to not be worth inoculating the children who were born after about 1985-1990 or so. Would I administer first aid to someone injured who I knew had TB? Yes, no problem. I've had the jab. Same for CV-19.

I couldn’t get through all of this, and I agree that climate change is a major threat to civilisation. What I don’t get is acceptance of that as a threat and wanting to do something about it but not accepting the - more imminent - threat to civilisation of COVID but not wanting to be part of the treatment (getting vaccinated) when the risk:benefit balance is very much in favour of vaccination.

Not true. The UK has one of the highest vaccine compliance rates in the world:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...e-covid-19-vaccines-will-people-have-the-jabs

The herd immunity threshold is debatable but most of the stuff I've read puts it at around 70% of the population vaccinated.

That's why I think non-compliance is a non-issue (though there might be certain communities or parts of the UK where a focused pro-vaccine message is needed).

That is reassuring. Hopefully it is a non-issue. Messaging is certainly a key issue. I’m just a bit shocked by some of the denial I’ve seen here and especially elsewhere in the audio community. There is some proper Q Anon/InfoWars-grade shite out there and it is closer than you may think!

advertisement

Back