advertisement

Spendor SP2/3e Thoughts

greg788

pfm Member
Considering buying a pair of these, found some in solid condition at a great price. What are your thoughts on them? Which amplifier did you use with them?

I've found old threads claiming Harbeth's Compact 7 version is preferable, so please don't comment in that vein since the price on this is stupidly good and I'll never find Compact 7's anywhere near that price.

Also, for moderate volume listening, do you think a PP EL84 amp of 12-15 watts is adequate? These are a benign 8 ohm impedance and 88dB (claimed) efficiency, seemingly very tube friendly

SP2/3 are fine speakers and should work ok with a EL84 amp, indeed for moderate volume.

If your offer is great as indicated, I'd go for them, won't loose much value.

DO it!!

2/3's are clearly superior transducers to C7's, in my opinion. And even if your EL84 device doesn't give you enough volume, there's any number of affordable devices that will. (You'll want to keep the 2/3's!) Rega iO ...

SP2/3 are great speakers, as were Rogers LS7. Too bad there are very few 8 inch 2 ways left with an easy 8ohm impedance.

Been a long time since I heard them, but I do remember thinking and feeling that they were great. Go for them!

I'd love to try a pair of 1/2 or S100s in my room . . .

advertisement

Back