advertisement

Best Of Flaming Lips....

ex brickie

pfm Member
At the risk of creating heresy (following my Kraftwerk thread) I’d like to know if there’s a Flaming Lips Best Of CD. I’d not really heard their music until a couple of nights ago and heard a track on the radio.

I’m expecting aficionados on here to to tell me to buy the full catalogue..... but if you can help me on my way that would be helpful

Being a Flaming Lips completeist would be an exercise in futility. I'm not aware of a compilation. There are some odd things in their catalog, such as an album that came on a thumb drive imbedded in a full size gummi skull. Or a set of four CDs that are meant to be played simultaneously. Or the 24 hour song. I'm of the opinion that a large part of their work is a huge put-on. With moments of brilliance.

Maybe start with "Soft Bulletin" and "Yoshi Battles the Pink Robots" and go from there if you can still stand any more of Wayne Coyne's voice.

Also be warned that much of it is not well recorded, and the mastering is loud and obnoxious.

I'd agree with the above and add their latest album 'American Head' as another good place to start.

...and it’s available on ridiculous vinyl:

50375077491_51e8b0a832_b.jpg

I echo the above recommendations, but A Priest Driven Ambulance pushes my buttons in all the right ways. I’m probably in a minority of one on this.

As others have said, Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin, At war with the mystics and American Head are probably their best. I’m very fond of Priest driven ambulance as well. Don’t forget their rather brilliant take on Dark side of the moon!

Music Magpie has Yoshimi and The Soft Bulletin, both under £3 but also in (different) deals if buying more than one. Probably cheaper to grab a few albums than search out the hits, plus you'll get more tracks.

Flaming Lips are one of the most amazing live bands I’ve ever seen. I realise this is of minimal help.

I've grabbed 2 from MusicMagpie - and a discount to boot (2 for under a fiver inc postage).

Now thinking about whether to get the 3CD Greatest Hits..........

advertisement

Back