advertisement

Music’s greatest polymath?

Deniz Tek. Guitar player and leader of Radio Birdman and New Race with Ron Asheton. Subsequently a Navy flight surgeon with the US Marines, and flew back seat in F4 Phantoms in the squadrons VMFA212 and VMFA232. His callsign of "Iceman" was noticed by producers of the Top Gun film during a research visit to the squadron and likely appropriated for Val Kilmer's character in the film. He then served as emergency room doctor in Seattle until he retired. Funnily enough, another Radio Birdman member, Pip Hoyle, was also very successful in the field of medicine.

James Williamson. Guitar player and co writer of one of the greatest rock records ever made (Raw Power). Subsequently Sony's VP of technical standards and key in formalising what would subsequently be the blu ray standard.

In 2015, he was selected to receive ANSI's Ronald H. Brown Standards Leadership Award for his contributions to consumer electronics standards development. The award, named after late United States Secretary of Commerce Ron Brown, is presented as part of World Standards Day celebration.

Ok, I’m bored so time for a bit of fun.

I reckon Kris Kristofferson is perhaps the ultimate in this regard.

Actor as well - and I think he may have got an Oxford Blue for boxing. I’m struggling to think of anyone that tops this.

Borodin was a doctor, composed in his spare time and founded a School of Medicine for women where he also taught.

My old boss, Glen Hamilton. Vietnam fighter pilot, numerous electrical engineering patents, and a guitarist for a band that earned several platinum records. I think he earned the platinum records too, but not 100% sure. I was told by a colleague that the platinum records were on his home office wall.

Actor as well - and I think he may have got an Oxford Blue for boxing. I’m struggling to think of anyone that tops this.

Borodin was a doctor, composed in his spare time and founded a School of Medicine for women where he also taught.
Yes, a pretty decent actor. You get the impression he could do well at most things.

Bamber Gascoigne, the presenter of University Challenge, always embellished the answers with a bit of extra knowledge, wrote the musical Share My Lettuce, what a brain, what a name!

advertisement

Back