advertisement

neat ultimatum mfs , biamping with 4 mono exposure 3010s2

sergiox

pfm Member
Hi gents, i would like to ask you if could be a smart move to amplify the neat ultimatum mfs , with 2 pair of exposure 3010s2 monos , two for the hf and the other two for the lf , the preamp is an exposure XXIII,
the amount of watts per channel in this case are 200.
Thanks i advance for your suggestions.
Cheers
S.

Hi gents, i would like to ask you if could be a smart move to amplify the neat ultimatum mfs , with 2 pair of exposure 3010s2 monos , two for the hf and the other two for the lf , the preamp is an exposure XXIII,
the amount of watts per channel in this case are 200.
Thanks i advance for your suggestions.
Cheers
S.

Have you asked Neat directly? They're fantastic...

You have the 23 pre already ? Caution. The monos input sensitivity may be too high ?Check with Exposure. If ok what about the 5010 monos. 200 watts. Fancy a pair myself but all my current pre amps unsuitable due to the 5010 input sensitivity .

I would be inclined to get a single pair of the best monos I could and use jumpers rather that passively biamp. I see no advantages to deploying a second set of power amps to no great benefit.

Passive biamping does have its benefits but the OP will not get anything like a doubling of power... hardly any extra in fact, as the bass amps will be doing all the work and will clip when the treble amps are still "ticking over"... which is one of the benefits as such clipping should not harm the tweeters.

When I went from active sbl's to passive Reynaud Offrandes, I bi-amped the Offrandes with 2 4DR's since I had them. Subsequently, I replaced the 4DR's with a pair of mono 16's. A huge improvement, so, as others have suggested, a better amp usually is better than a pair of lesser amps.

the 5010 monos. 200 watts. Fancy a pair myself but all my current pre amps unsuitable due to the 5010 input sensitivity .

what is the problem? The 5010 monos has indeed a very high input impedance with 75kOhm, but if it is too high, it shouldn’t be a problem, just if it is too low. In this case all preamps have an easy load, even with 10m cables.

Its not the input impedance - 75k. Good.
Its the input sensitivity in volts. I think the 50 monos are higher than normal. 0.5v for full power onto 8 ohms ?
The older 23 pre amp puts out a higher voltage than more recent Exposure pre amps. You could find very loud indeed at 9 o'clock on volume pot. You may have to attenuate. Or it may not be an issue if speakers insensitive.
Exposure could advise. Old Exposure pre amp with new power amps.

I would be inclined to get a single pair of the best monos I could and use jumpers rather that passively biamp. I see no advantages to deploying a second set of power amps to no great benefit.
But it does benefit...if you can't hear it, either your ears or your gear isn't up to it.
Think I read somewhere that Neat are fans of biamping.
A pair of the best amps would beat biamping with something indifferent, but two pairs of the best amps biamped be better still.

advertisement

Back