advertisement

Am I mad to be considering a 80kg Krell monster (fbp600)?

I loved my ksa100 with a valve pre for only £950 it was a stunning bargain, they have gone up recently I think to pushing double that but still fab value and look/sound fantastic. The fan can be easily changed for a quieter one

It’s a lovely amp but is over 20 years old now so might need a substantial service.
Personally I’d much rather have the Karan 400 in the classifieds on here.

I’ve never heard a krell but isn’t the consensus view amongst those in the know (including Mr Agostino) that the original KSA 50 and 100 are the best ones?

What did you think of the 100? I have an agreed purchase on one to be picked up after lockdown

Where from, Ali? I've seen a 100 and 200 on sale in the past few weeks.

As I've been considering a class A s/s amp to either replace my EAR mono's or have as a stand-by, lots of suggestions and possibilities have come up, incl. the Quad 405/2, which, although not class A, is cheap used and would suit my big ESLs. Jez is a Krell aficionado, but so are others, and reading comments about these (and having them come up locally on occasion), my appetite is whetted.

Which Krells (of 100 w.p.c. or under) are the recommended ones (for Quad 2905 ESLs, which could cope with 50+ w.p.c., I guess). I have the 912 active EAR pre, which shunts out 5V to a power amp.

Another contender I've found would be the Mark Levison (Madrigal era) nineties models; not dissimilar to Krells in many ways, I read

Last edited:
The levinson 2x series amps would be on my list. I've not heard a krell with quads though I've owned both
Actually I still own quads, though I don't use them.

The levinson 2x series amps would be on my list. I've not heard a krell with quads though I've owned both
Actually I still own quads, though I don't use them.

The sweet little no29 or the Krell KSA80? Tough choice

advertisement

Back