advertisement

What are you going to do whilst in lockdown II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s very kind. Thank you.

I guess I’ve just found out (the thing we all know but don’t want to acknowledge): our parents aren’t invincible.

He’s 72 and still working. Am hoping this gives him a bit of a reset - though that said, compared with my very retired in-laws, I think working has done him the power of mental good during lockdown.

But keeling over and being whisked off to hospital is less good. Silly bugger..!
My dad still works 2 days a week. He’s 85. He’s quite certain it keeps him younger and fitter than he’d be otherwise. If your dad wants to keep working and is up to it, I’d say good on him.

My dad still works 2 days a week. He’s 85. He’s quite certain it keeps him younger and fitter than he’d be otherwise. If your dad wants to keep working and is up to it, I’d say good on him.

My observations would tend to agree. My FIL is the same age but retired at 56 (final salary pension etc). He enjoys pretty good health but has basically done nothing with 15 useful years of his life. Seems a waste to me.

I belong to the rubbish pension, retirement in my late 60s generation. In fact I was only thinking that, while I’ve got 20 or so years of work, I will probably do as much as I can. But I’m not sure I can do 60 hours a week for the rest of that time.!

You lot sounds like you’ve been having a good time.

All I’ve been doing is working and home schooling. Sadly can’t see my father who collapsed a few days ago and gone to hospital with a pulmonary embolism.

Anything is a good time I suppose compared to seeing someone who you care about in a worrying situation.

I hope your Dad recovers quickly.

Anything is a good time I suppose compared to seeing someone who you care about in a worrying situation.

I hope your Dad recovers quickly.

Thank you.

It is worrying, but I don’t begrudge you lot living life as best as possible - I’m doing the same (within the confines of working and schooling!).

I’ve taken to 30 mins walking the lanes near home each lunchtime. The birds are starting to tweet in the trees - spring is on its way..!

I don’t begrudge you lot living life as best as possible - I’m doing the same (within the confines of working and schooling!).

I would rather be working and schooling compared to being retired due to disability from a vocation I loved.
Also unable to participate in any of the long term sports, hobbies and pastimes that I lived for.

I’ve taken to 30 mins walking the lanes near home each lunchtime. The birds are starting to tweet in the trees - spring is on its way..!
I started taking a daily walk around sunset a couple of weeks ago. I now really look forward to it and am not keen on getting back home until I’ve covered five miles. I even enjoyed strolling in the light rain yesterday.

Bit warmer today.

Had a wander around the very muddy field. The few water springs that are always there are more like little streams. They feed a bigger stream that I could hear pouring over the rocks.

Today I am wearing pea green shorts. Couldn’t find my regular shorts. Started walking with hat and gloves as I thought it was colder than it is. Soon took hat and gloves off.
Found a long iron pole in a hawthorn bush. Looks like it was something to do with railways. It has been painted many times, but rust is overtaking the paint. Yanked it out of the hedge, drew blood on the thorns, then used it like a walking stick to walk it home. Wife not impressed, but I will find a use for it. (outside)

No cooking today. Wife decided it is eat-what-you-find day, so I found a jar of German bockwurst hotdog sausages in the pantry.
Boiled a few chopped onions. Then fried onions and warmed hotdogs, stuck in a slice of folded over white bread. Twice.
I am going to have exactly the same thing later. Slew. mustard and ketchup. Slurp.

Going to try playing Red Dead Redemption on the PS3. Never played it, but had the game for 3 years. The Wife had a go at playing it last week, but couldn’t figure the controls. Not sure I am going to do any better. I know my dad has the game and used to play it a lot. Might phone him later on for tips.

Still playing with the new kitchen hifi. Internet radio is fun, and enjoying VOB (Voice of Barbados) most of this morning. (was surprised to find that Barbados is only 4 hrs. behind U.K. time - thought it was more like 5 or 6 hrs -)
Sprayed the hifi power lead black, and the bit of wood it sits on as well. (it is balanced on a 4’ iron candlestick thing) Also put the unit on felt pads.

The motor home thread has got me thinking about getting one again. Not sure Wife is that interested at the moment.
Wife has decided to move her office from one spare room to another spare room. This means a lot of heavy lifting that I cannot do. It also means shifting my spare room records. Pah!
It looks like it will take 2 months, given that The Wife wants to redecorate and get new carpets etc. I have no idea how she is going to get the huge desk in the desired room, it was bad enough getting it in the current office. (horrible piece of furniture, hopefully Wife will get rid of it.)

Rat trap caught Billy :) Got a big ‘un as well. Scores me many points with The Wife.

Trying to make Madhur Jaffrey chicken tikka masala. Found stainless steel skewers in Sainsbury’s, replaced old rusty skewers which I never liked.
Chicken bits marinading in bowl of ingredients since early morning. Put less lemon juice and cream in the marinade than Madhur indicated, 6 tablespoons of cream seemed excessive and juice of one lemon looked like enough. Also going to use tinned tomatoes rather than fresh.
Looking forward to skewering the chicken and trying to char it under the grill.

Also made a freestyle red lentil dahl. Chucked in leftover green beans, couple of manky looking sweet potatoes and a ton of onions. Tastes edible.

Got my best mate a half-price (in the sale) blue corduroy shirt for his upcoming birthday.
We texted each other yesterday and thought it would be unlikely to have a session for at least 6 months. (probably a year)

very thrifty you know

We are not destitute.

But,

many a mickle macs a muckle.

I am blessed that I come from dirt poor, so I am not keen on blowing cash unnecessarily.

If I was desperate, there are plenty of wood pigeons around here and I would be out with my air-rifle.

After weeks of scrubs at work and PJs at home. Today I am wearing clothes.
My goodness those button things are clever. Not sure I trust zips yet.

Loads of curry left from yesterday, so a leftovers day. Didn’t have a bad tummy in the night, therefore the curry was successful.

The Wife tells me that I need a haircut. Also the purple dye colour is reduced to a faded pink, so I will do that again.

I will set up the Rat Trap (Billy) again. I did express my concerns over dispatching rats to The Wife, but she reassured me that it is the right thing to do.

More ‘Voice Of Barbados’ internet radio again today.
There was a fantastic discussion on the monkey problem and also the growing of medicinal ’ganja.’
The Bajan folk have a lovely accent, I could listen to it all day. (that is what I am doing this week)

Currently listening to The Best Rare Groove Cuban album on c.d.

Coffee time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back