advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's homework for Art - a picture of sweets. Just taken ....

lucja-cuk-s.jpg

That's quite amazing, I'd have expected to see some noise at 1000 iso...I like the f2 aperture too blurring out the music score and the brass hinge...another smashing camera/lens combination

The Pen's ISO performance is actually pretty good, and entirely useable to at least 1600. The Oly sensor is also very good at recovering highlight detail (obviously within the bounds of clipping) so one of the tricks is to over-expose by 1 stop by raising the ISO setting, then bring it back to 1 stop under in PP. Of course with the Olympus IBIS, providing the target is static, hand-held shots at 0.5 sec or longer are very easy.

This was at 6400:

Sunlit by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

3200:

Church Corner by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

No it isn't full frame clean, but it's not bad for a tiny camera.

The Pen's ISO performance is actually pretty good, and entirely useable to at least 1600. The Oly sensor is also very good at recovering highlight detail (obviously within the bounds of clipping) so one of the tricks is to over-expose by 1 stop by raising the ISO setting, then bring it back to 1 stop under in PP. Of course with the Olympus IBIS, providing the target is static, hand-held shots at 0.5 sec or longer are very easy.

When I shot the OMD1 MkII and Fuji X-T2 side by side, I found their histograms were different representations - at first I thought the Olympus has significantly less dynamic range, but it transpired that you could quite happily go off the end of the histogram on Olympus (into the red) and still recover, whereas on the Fujifilm, the right hand side of the histogram is where the clipping starts. This brought the DR of the sensors into line, which is what I would expect. The only problem is that with the Olympus, you don't actually know how far you've gone over the end of the histogram, is it a recoverable bit or a clipped mess !?!

But any camera in @Gromit's hands is capable of producing superb images........................... :)

When I shot the OMD1 MkII and Fuji X-T2 side by side, I found their histograms were different representations - at first I thought the Olympus has significantly less dynamic range, but it transpired that you could quite happily go off the end of the histogram on Olympus (into the red) and still recover, whereas on the Fujifilm, the right hand side of the histogram is where the clipping starts. This brought the DR of the sensors into line, which is what I would expect. The only problem is that with the Olympus, you don't actually know how far you've gone over the end of the histogram, is it a recoverable bit or a clipped mess !?!

But any camera in @Gromit's hands is capable of producing superb images........................... :)

The displayed histogram is (on Nikon at least) representative of the JPEG mode that is selected. (I.e. if you choose a JPEG mode such as 'vivid' which is naturally more contrasty, then the apparent dynamic range as indicated by the histogram in live view, will appear to be reduced. However, the RAW will have more dynamic range).

Could it be that the JPEG mode selected on the Olympus was more contrasty than that selected on the Fuji?

Oh, and I agree on the last point. @Gromit can make any camera sing :)

Lefty

The displayed histogram is (on Nikon at least) representative of the JPEG mode that is selected. (I.e. if you choose a JPEG mode such as 'vivid' which is naturally more contrasty, then the apparent dynamic range as indicated by the histogram in live view, will appear to be reduced. However, the RAW will have more dynamic range).

Could it be that the JPEG mode selected on the Olympus was more contrasty than that selected on the Fuji?

Oh, and I agree on the last point. @Gromit can make any camera sing :)

Lefty

It's possible, but both were in basic colour modes Natural and Provia respectively.

I have consistently found very little recoverable on a a Fujifilm camera if you venture off the RHS of the histogram - in my mind Fuji's shadow recovery is far better than the highlight recovery.

BTW you don't do badly in the camera singing stakes either :)

You found a dog walking camera yet???

It's possible, but both were in basic colour modes Natural and Provia respectively.

I have consistently found very little recoverable on a a Fujifilm camera if you venture off the RHS of the histogram - in my mind Fuji's shadow recovery is far better than the highlight recovery.

BTW you don't do badly in the camera singing stakes either :)

You found a dog walking camera yet???

Thank you! :)

Not yet I'm afraid. Slowly coming to the conclusion that anything other than a point and shoot when out with the dog is pointless. Trying to adjust settings with one hand while the dog is trying to pull me with the lead on the other hand is not conducive to taking good photos!

I almost bought an X100F on ebay for £600 yesterday but managed to resist. Not sure how much longer I can hold out!

Lefty

Thank you! :)

Not yet I'm afraid. Slowly coming to the conclusion that anything other than a point and shoot when out with the dog is pointless. Trying to adjust settings with one hand while the dog is trying to pull me with the lead on the other hand is not conducive to taking good photos!

I almost bought an X100F on ebay for £600 yesterday but managed to resist. Not sure how much longer I can hold out!

Lefty

Buy a GA645, the best point and shoot, I bought one late last year - love it

You're way too kind, chaps - of course, thanks to your good selves, and several others, the standard of photography within this small part of PFM is very high. And it's a great place to hang out. :)

I do believe there's somewhere to talk about record players and stuff as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back