advertisement

High End MC Cartidge purchase.

I hasten to be one of those 'have you considered' chaps and throw ANOTHER option in, but have you considered any of the Audio Note MC Carts? You mention that what you look for is 'tonality, texture, emotion' with a 'detailed upper' (me too, by the way!) and that's literally AN's raison d'etre. They excel in those areas. Since I switched over to some decent AN components, I haven't looked back.

Interesting............ will dig deeper!

Another one to add to your list is the AudioTechnica ART-1000. It's like a moving coil version of the Decca cartridges, with the coils on the stylus end of the cantilever. Worth a listen as it is taking a totally different approach to everything else on the market, and its made by a pretty sensible and well regarded company...
https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/audio-technica-art1000-moving-coil-cartridge
That's the cart I'm aiming for on SL-1000R some ways in the future

Miyajima Labs Madake! You know you want too... :)

Top Wing Red Sparrow is basically a low output MM design but needs a special phono stage, certainly if you use valves/tubes. It requires a 47K load and a gain of about 70-72dB.

If you want better then there isn't a lot of choice. If you want different then there is quite a bit of choice.

For a man of limited funds such as myself it’s also important to factor in the cost of replacement.

A Lyra can be rebuilt at reasonable cost. Others on this list cannot, so the value of the dead cartridge for exchange is worth taking into account.

Another one to add to your list is the AudioTechnica ART-1000. It's like a moving coil version of the Decca cartridges, with the coils on the stylus end of the cantilever. Worth a listen as it is taking a totally different approach to everything else on the market, and its made by a pretty sensible and well regarded company...
https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/audio-technica-art1000-moving-coil-cartridge

Not a new idea at all, but one first used by JVC in the early 1980s, with the MC-10
http://www.thevintageknob.org/jvc-MC-L10.html

That AT Art 1000 cartridge looks a little fragile to me with the thin wires extending along side the cantilever. I wonder if you might get any induced noise with that design? I bet it's a bit of a dust magnet too. Interesting design, I must say.

AT outside coils been done before Ikeda / Neumann
DST62 from Neumann in the 1960s they only made 900 & only supplied with a cutting lathe to check lacquers
modern new versions are $10,000
unnamed2.jpg

02150143_5c6697e49f141.jpg

I ran a DV XV1s for a while. Always regretted selling it . Must have been mad actually .

Whatever other adjective I would have used to describe it, polite would not have been my choice. I don’t know anything about the rest of your kit so maybe that’s a factor?

I found it magnificent and frankly nigh on perfect. Incredible attack, detail and soundstage . Impossibly good tracking.

The only time I ever ran a Lyra I found it a bit thin sounding, but to be fair I was using Naim amplification at the time .

I guess there’s only one way to find out ! Enjoy

I ran a DV XV1s for a while. Always regretted selling it . Must have been mad actually .

Whatever other adjective I would have used to describe it, polite would not have been my choice. I don’t know anything about the rest of your kit so maybe that’s a factor?

I found it magnificent and frankly nigh on perfect. Incredible attack, detail and soundstage . Impossibly good tracking.

The only time I ever ran a Lyra I found it a bit thin sounding, but to be fair I was using Naim amplification at the time.

I used an XV1-s back in the late 2000s and on a Thales Simplicity tonearm. It was a very good combination but when you compare the cartridge with an Ortofon A95, a Miyajima Labs Madake or a Transfiguration Proteus, the XV-1s does sound a little polite. It's not that the XV-1s isn't good, its a great cartridge but the others mentioned just bring a little more excitement to the party. Transfiguration: one of the biggest tragedies in Audio IMO...

Another one to add to your list is the AudioTechnica ART-1000

Someone beat me to it. What I can add is that I have one of these on the end of a Bergmann Sindre turntable wand/ linear arm. It replaced a Lyra Titan i and was chosen after listening to ZYX and a few other flagship carts that were appropriate to the compliance of the arm.

First thing to say is that the music it produces is quite fabulous and has dynamics to die for. It is the best cartridge I've had and heard by a reasonable enough margin to be sure.

Is it fragile? - not that I know of. The Sindre's arm is not damped so you have to control the rate of descent manually with a dial, but its certainly shown no signs of wear or being any more fragile or easy to damage than many other carts I've owned (the naked cantilever on the Lyra can be risky in some settings like any other).

Is it a dust magnet? - err no. I don't have a dust cover for the Bergmann and I live in a house with dogs and cats who aren't totally excluded from my listening room.I do clean my records regularly and wouldn't put a dirty/ dusty record on (that deck anyway!).

If you're in the market for an end game cartridge I can only recommend you get a listen for yourself. It is incredibly capable, but whether it matches your kit and suits your listening tastes only you can decide. Nice problem to have.

No offence, but I'm deliberating top end cartridges at £6k-£8k here, so unlikely to jump to one £750 given the nature of my system as I outlined.

I'd like to diverge a bit on this if you don't mind? It's just is something I've seen often, something I've been guilty of and I'm not sure it makes sense.

I'm not commenting on or criticizing your choice of spending that much on a cartridge. Cost and value is relative and many people could just as easily criticize spending a tenth of that on a record player part.

It's setting a price range for components and behaving as though there are reasons to believe that components in that price range are of comparative performance. And can be assumed to be superior to cheaper components of the same type. Logically, I can't see any foundation for this.

Cartridges for instance. There are different technologies used in different cartridge designs. The companies making them will differ in how efficient their production is, the profit margins they apply and how effectively their chosen design works.

In any technology, there is also going to be a limit to what is possible. Many super-expensive cartridges boast exotic materials in their bodies or working parts when their is little technical reason to believe they should perform better than...plastic and aluminium.

You rarely see comparisons of cartridges at wildly differing price points and Hi-Fi shops tend to be careful in limiting options offered to those within your stated budget. But I've seen many forum threads, have enough experience and know friends with turntables and in the real world there is often little correlation between cartridge cost and preference.

I think we often impute higher price components with exaggerated virtues straight out of the box. I know a guy who doesn't use his Koetsu because he prefers a cartridge that cost a lot less. But how many people do that honest comparison?

Someone beat me to it. What I can add is that I have one of these on the end of a Bergmann Sindre turntable wand/ linear arm. It replaced a Lyra Titan i and was chosen after listening to ZYX and a few other flagship carts that were appropriate to the compliance of the arm.

First thing to say is that the music it produces is quite fabulous and has dynamics to die for. It is the best cartridge I've had and heard by a reasonable enough margin to be sure.

Is it fragile? - not that I know of. The Sindre's arm is not damped so you have to control the rate of descent manually with a dial, but its certainly shown no signs of wear or being any more fragile or easy to damage than many other carts I've owned (the naked cantilever on the Lyra can be risky in some settings like any other).

Is it a dust magnet? - err no. I don't have a dust cover for the Bergmann and I live in a house with dogs and cats who aren't totally excluded from my listening room.I do clean my records regularly and wouldn't put a dirty/ dusty record on (that deck anyway!).

If you're in the market for an end game cartridge I can only recommend you get a listen for yourself. It is incredibly capable, but whether it matches your kit and suits your listening tastes only you can decide. Nice problem to have.
Thanks for posting your thoughts, with a bit of luck I'll be able to hear one myself in the not to distant future.

advertisement

Back