advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NHS has lost track of those who missed vaccination slots - meaning they will never be called up unless their GP has the timer/energy to do it...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/31/nhs-covid-vaccinations-no-show-data

On the other hand a friend of mine whose in her early 80s told me she’s been flooded with invitations to get vaccinated - she had Jab 1 mid December, but that doesn’t stop her GP sending her texts all the time encouraging her to come. The latest one was from a hospital where she had some treatment more than 5 years ago.

On the other hand no one can tell her when she’ll get her second jab . . .

The NHS may well have gone text mad. I get them all the time now, with reminders about numbers for out of hours services, requests for me to rate the service at my appointment, that sort of thing.

Fake News time:
First, best wishes to Capt Sir Tom Moore.
Second, I'm sure I read in the meeja a while ago that he'd been vaccinated. Now we're told he's caught Covid, and today I've winkled out the info that he wasn't given the Covid jab because of pneumonia medication already on board. This may seem intrusive, but surely relevant facts for us to be given the correct version of. Sorry about that clumsy sentence.

The NHS may well have gone text mad. I get them all the time now, with reminders about numbers for out of hours services, requests for me to rate the service at my appointment, that sort of thing.
I suppose it depends on your local Trust. Here in Glos they're doing an excellent job. Or jab.

Just read a dozen posts on there at random. It will take days for my eyebrows to return to their usual resting place from close to my (receding) hairline! So much dangerous errant nonsense and wilful misinterpretation...
Well, I leapt in at page 501 (where to start on a thread that's >600 pages long) and it didn't take me long to lose the will to continue reading. I didn't find any specifics, just a general undertone of distrust by some posters, but based on nonsense. Seemingly firmly supported by the site owner whose argument (in the couple of pages I read) was that we can't trust the covid vaccine as we already have a flu vaccine and some people still die of flu, so it must all be a lie. Or something. I gave up after that.

Just read a dozen posts on there at random. It will take days for my eyebrows to return to their usual resting place from close to my (receding) hairline! So much dangerous errant nonsense and wilful misinterpretation...

And yet compared to Facebook and You Tube, comments on that thread seem like the written works of the world's leading experts.

Honestly, if you value your sanity do not venture into conversation with these people, they're truly scary.

Their fears are entirely irrational, based on a) misunderstandings of what vaccines are and what they do, and b) wacko notions about vaccines being used to 'control' people with Bill Gates being part of some evil plot. In some people, there's more of a quasi-religious opposition to the idea of introducing vaccines into the body per se, and they argue (mistakenly) that Covid-19 is 'just flu' and that enough vitamin D will protect you against infection.

There's a long thread on AoS where many of these wacky ideas are explored, usually 'backed up' by hour-long YouTube videos:

https://theartofsound.net/forum/sho...re-World-Coronavirus-infection-Map-by-Country
There’s also widespread distrust in the institutions that are supposed to protect us, and that isn’t always coming from an irrational place, especially if you’re from a minority group.

As well as this, many Baby Boomers have been hosed with paranoia-inducing disinformation their entire adult lives (not least with regard to vaccines) and this has intensified greatly over the last 5 or 10 years.

A climate of irrationality and mistrust has been deliberately cultivated in this country by mainstream players and really the wonder is that more people aren’t opting out of the vaccine.

Well, I leapt in at page 501 (where to start on a thread that's >600 pages long) and it didn't take me long to lose the will to continue reading. I didn't find any specifics, just a general undertone of distrust by some posters, but based on nonsense. Seemingly firmly supported by the site owner whose argument (in the couple of pages I read) was that we can't trust the covid vaccine as we already have a flu vaccine and some people still die of flu, so it must all be a lie. Or something. I gave up after that.

One of the mods has a series of posts suggesting we can’t trust science because a german doctor won a legal case about a bet that the measles virus doesn’t exist. He won the case because the courts agreed that he could set the rules as he liked, not because anyone had/hadn’t proved anything about measles....

A climate of irrationality and mistrust has been deliberately cultivated in this country by mainstream players and really the wonder is that more people aren’t opting out of the vaccine.

Agreed. 'Don't trust the experts' was a major element in the Brexit argument, for example. Now, suddenly, we must 'follow the science'.

One of the mods has a series of posts suggesting we can’t trust science because a german doctor won a legal case about a bet that the measles virus doesn’t exist. He won the case because the courts agreed that he could set the rules as he liked, not because anyone had/hadn’t proved anything about measles....

First thing to learn about these folk is that nothing is based on any facts, they don't like facts. You can't win, every time you point them to evidence or facts they just change the argument to something else like lizard people or Bill Gates injecting people with a mind control chip.

'I just want to say that Boris’s government do seem to be doing a splendid job of the vaccinations, or have I missed something? I’m impressed.' mandryka

Whilst the UK has done better than some do remember in your gushing eulogy of Boris that these are the same politicians who set up a world beating Track and Trace system and failed to negotiate a satisfactory trading arrangement with our near and largest trading partners. It's not the politicians who deserve the credit but everyone involved in putting the whole operation together. Maybe keeping Dido Harding and Lordy Lordy Frost away from this helped too.

The politicians were consistant in handing over trucks full of our money to get things going and build infrastructure which does deserve some credit and which the EU didn't do anywhere near enough. This time the recipients of the dosh knew what to do with it.
I think this article shows that there were calculated mistakes in the things the government invested in....a 'no regrets' policy meant they were going to seize everything and anything that might help. And that they knew not everything would work. But they did not know what. I can't criticise that. I dont really like the tories but this makes sense to me, when it is clear noone really knew shit, apart from the writer of the film Contagious. And it would appear this film was a key influencer in the UK's recent success, following its stupid gung-ho attitude at the beginning of last year.

I also raised an eyebrow in this article to learn that Germany had earlier in the year banned the export of PPE clothing.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...uck-deal-to-guarantee-vaccine-supply-12204044

Yeah, the johnson really didn't get it at first.
He's slightly less useless now, and his understanding seems to almost have reached rudimentary level.
If you say it took the Contagious, who am I to disagree?

On the other hand a friend of mine whose in her early 80s told me she’s been flooded with invitations to get vaccinated - she had Jab 1 mid December, but that doesn’t stop her GP sending her texts all the time encouraging her to come. The latest one was from a hospital where she had some treatment more than 5 years ago.

On the other hand no one can tell her when she’ll get her second jab . . .

"Jeanelle de Gruchy, the president of the Association of Directors of Public Health, which brings together all local authority public health leads, said the NHS had a duty to collect data on those who are not taking up the offer."

It's the failure to collect the data that can lead to all sorts of problems, including the failure to recognise race discrimination as mentioned in the article, but also age and disability discrimination, as I have been arguing here. It will hide clusters of low takeup too, which will be a source of new infections. No data, no problem for the Government...

I just read one of my own posts from last February and wanted to check on how it stood up:

Even if this turns into a pandemic, while it for sure will have tragic consequences, even the five million deaths per year number from some posts ago is the the same as the number of deaths to stroke yearly. Where is the panic about the stroke pandemic?

There was just a press conference by the Finnish government, where they estimated that if this does turn into a pandemic, an estimated 10% of Finland's population would be affected and around 15% of those would need care in a hospital. It was stated that the plans and resources available are able to deal with that.

Eventually this flu will become one of the multitude of viruses that tour the world as part of the seasonal flu strains, just as the swine flu did.
Well it did turn into a pandemic. Finland has done very well compared to other countries but even here some estimations were off the mark.

Today, assuming an uncertain number of undiscovered cases, especially in spring when the testing capacity was not yet available, we have probably passed the 10% mark of the Finnish population infected somewhere around the holiday season. I could not find any hospitalisation statistics, but my gut feeling is that 15% of the infected needing to be hospitalised was overestimated. I also wrote affected, not infected, obviously just about everyone has been affected due to lockdown policies.

If we had not had the lockdown measures, the number of people infected would obviously have been far greater, so I definitely underestimated how dangerous the virus was. Another unknown at the time factor are that some of the infected get long-term side-effects which one does normally get from a seasonal influenza.

Experts are still saying that we will probably never completely rid ourselves of the virus, so it seems likely that it will indeed tour the world for the foreseeable future and as successful viruses do, end up evolving into something less dangerous as time goes along.

Looking at world-wide deaths at this time and assuming we will get it under control via vaccinations during 2021, the coronavirus pandemic looks to end up about as serious as the Asian and Hong-Kong flus of the 50s and 60s. They both killed something like 1-4 million people, but obviously out of a total population that was less than half of what we have today. Also today the case fatality rate would be lower due to improvements in health care, but on the other hand the world today is much more connected and the virus could spread a lot faster than back then. I guess that if the coronavirus pandemic had happened in the 50s it would have been the worst pandemic we would have experienced since the 1918 Spanish Flu.

EDIT: When I talk about seriousness, I just consider deaths. We can still mess it up and not manage to vaccinate the population of poor countries and have COVID still be killing people in large numbers in 2022, in which case it will clearly end up more serious than the 50s and 60s flus.

EDIT 2: Math is hard, we are at 0.8% of the population having had confirmed COVID, not 8%.. that means we probably crossed 1% actually somewhere around the holidays or a bit before.

Last edited:
Agreed. 'Don't trust the experts' was a major element in the Brexit argument, for example. Now, suddenly, we must 'follow the science'.
The message came straight from the mouth of then Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain and Secretary of State for Justice.

pyRsFGf.jpg

TEDtxMj.jpg

People had had enough of experts.
-Govidus 2016 AD

There’s also widespread distrust in the institutions that are supposed to protect us, and that isn’t always coming from an irrational place, especially if you’re from a minority group.

As well as this, many Baby Boomers have been hosed with paranoia-inducing disinformation their entire adult lives (not least with regard to vaccines) and this has intensified greatly over the last 5 or 10 years.

As a baby boomer I can tell you that is crap.
We couldn’t wait to get our polio jabs early on, later sugar cubes, or our TB vaccinations.

This Lowry is 'The Fever Van', which used to collect up people with scarlet fever or diphtheria. It was a common sight in Northern cities in the 1930s and beyond, before the nhs ambulance service. Both of these killer diseases have been eradicated - just in my parents' lifetime. I think we sometimes forget the advances in public health that we take for granted today...

laurence-stephen-lowry-the-fever-van_a-l-843189-0.jpg

Last edited:
So it seems we now have community transmission cases of the SA variant in Surrey so a surge testing program is being rolled out. Utterly pointless unless they restrict movement to and from the areas in question. It’s another complete car crash happening in front of us. They have learnt nothing in 12 months!!!!

It appears only Ursula had anything to do with the vaccine fiasco which sounds a little far fetched even for the EU. Michael was quick out of the traps to tell us 'nothing to do with me' and turn the knife. He appears to be back in the media at the moment and Ursula's job would top his pension up nicely.

It appears only Ursula had anything to do with the vaccine fiasco which sounds a little far fetched even for the EU. Michael was quick out of the traps to tell us 'nothing to do with me' and turn the knife. He appears to be back in the media at the moment and Ursula's job would top his pension up nicely.
Decades of 'good work' unravelling before our eyes. The one job they needed to get right that matters about as much as everything else the EU has done put together. And they fvcked it up.

Is Covid Europe's Apollo 13?

Even remainer fishies are lobbing rotten veg now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back