advertisement

The Chord DAC bandwagon

Would folk say the QBD is still competitive, would it better a Hugo TT?
I compared them many moons ago and the TT won out. It sounded more punchy and dynamic IIRC. As I recall, the QBD76 is a pain in the arse ergonomically unless you can place it on top of the rack.

Would folk say the QBD is still competitive, would it better a Hugo TT?
There's the QBD76, and the QBD76HDSD. I had the latter, but having never heard the former I can't comment on the difference. However, in my system I compared Hugo Mk I, TT, and Dave against the QBD. After extensive listening my order of preference was Dave, QBD, Hugo, TT. The difference between Dave & QBD was relatively small - I ended up borrowing Dave three times from my ever-helpful dealer, Signals, before I was convinced the extra outlay was worth it.

So, any other DACs that might give the Chord a good beating (I guess it's down to taste)?

Any Audio Note vs Chord experiences here? Or even Mojo Audio and Lampizator DACs?

Having faffed around with DACs, my advice is to figure out if you prefer transparency or a warmer, more euphonic sound. If you want a transparent DAC, there are many around that will do the job for not much dough. (A Topping D10 at $80 sounded more or less the same as my Hugo 2. It was an eye-opening experience.) I now have an RME ADI-2 and it does the job well.

If you want a warmer-sounding DAC, then you'll have to do some auditioning or buy a few s/h and compare and contrast. I'm afraid that in this case you'll have to spend more to get a device that measures worse than cheaper DACs, but is more to your taste.

I’ve tried hard to like Chord gear on a number of occasions over the years but always found something else I preferred. Guess I’m the odd one out.....

Nope, me too. I practically had an allergic reaction to the Qutest, Completely synthetic sounding to my ears. Perhaps the pricier DACs are better, but they're so ugly I'll never find out :confused:

I really loved the (sound, not the design of the) original Hugo, and the pimped Hugo, the TT. After that the Hugo 2 and the TT2 both left me feeling like the music was being ‘processed’ in some way, subjectively. Went through two TT2s to crystallise my feelings. Using a lesser Quad Artera Play+ for the time being, and no it doesn’t gave the uncanny inner detail of the Chords, but it seems more even handed over a greater variety of good to badly mastered albums. I’ll likely pick up a used TT again later in the year, and would be curious by a Hugo 3 if they made the batteries easier to remove and sorted out some of the questionable industrial design quirks. They’ve kind of backed themselves into corners with their line-up and the whole taps business. Update one of the models now, and it then impinges on the next level up now.

This mirrors my feeling with the Qutest, it was 'better' at everything than the DAC I had at the time, but completely unconvincing. I was always aware of it...

Try a Metrum. As good or better, resolution-wise, but effortless and natural.

There's the QBD76, and the QBD76HDSD. I had the latter, but having never heard the former I can't comment on the difference. However, in my system I compared Hugo Mk I, TT, and Dave against the QBD. After extensive listening my order of preference was Dave, QBD, Hugo, TT. The difference between Dave & QBD was relatively small - I ended up borrowing Dave three times from my ever-helpful dealer, Signals, before I was convinced the extra outlay was worth it.
Now that’s interesting! It says something about the engineering of the QBD HDSD. There’s not many in circulation on the S/h market which possibly has an explanation. I see it has pairs of BNC and AES inputs but I found nothing about dual data capability in the manual ( got excited for a moment that it might have taken an m-scaler).

A second hand Metrum Octave perhaps? Do you own a Metrum?

I got a second hand Musette recently and knew within 24h that I had to get one of the current line up, which have the latest iteration of their in-house FPGA chip. So I’ve sold the Musette and ordered an Amethyst.

From what I’ve read the Octave suffered a bit at the frequency extremes but the newer models have overcome that. The Musette had startling detail and control in the lower registers.

So does a Mojo give you a hi-end flavour of Chord, or should a Qutest be a minimum as reference?

I tried a mojo but it sounded no better to my ears than a cheap Chinese USB powered ESS DAC I was using at the time, in fact I still have that lying around somewhere!

I found the UI of the mojo a bit daft as well so it didn't last long.

I have a qbd76HDSD and I have often felt lost / left behind after investing in the top of the range DAC at the time and then looking on as the "Taps" count was started with the launch of various mojo/ Hugo / TT/ DAVE dac's.
I never had the pleasure of listening to all the new alternatives but I value your opinion regarding the order of merit of the various DACS.

Now that’s interesting! It says something about the engineering of the QBD HDSD. There’s not many in circulation on the S/h market which possibly has an explanation. I see it has pairs of BNC and AES inputs but I found nothing about dual data capability in the manual ( got excited for a moment that it might have taken an m-scaler).
No, the QBD can't accept the scaler (I don't think it was even a gleam in Mr Watts' eye when he designed it), & you need drivers for a Mac as well as a PC. IIRC, the USB isn't isolated either, but it's easy enough to achieve this, should you want to use that input. Very quirky indeed, but who cares when it's up and running so well? Here's the QBD and DAVE side by side during my many home trials -

Uu2fJ31.jpg

No, the QBD can't accept the scaler (I don't think it was even a gleam in Mr Watts' eye when he designed it), & you need drivers for a Mac as well as a PC. IIRC, the USB isn't isolated either, but it's easy enough to achieve this, should you want to use that input. Very quirky indeed, but who cares when it's up and running so well? Here's the QBD and DAVE side by side during my many home trials -

Uu2fJ31.jpg

I know almost nothing about Chord and probably less about DAC’s but I love the ‘Jules Verne’ look those devices have.

From my own experience a TT2/ Focal Utopia combo sounds really good. There seems to be a synergy between the two which emphasises the strengths and plays down the weaknesses of each component. YMMV of course.

Switched off?

Switched off and ideally not plugged in :). It was intended a little bit of humour.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy either of the Chord DAC's I owned. As you say though it is subjective and I could certainly see why it would be right for someone else.

System balance is essential too as you have pointed out.

Glad you enjoy yours.

The 2Qute has brought to me a weird (good) new dimensionality and palpable (believable) presence to digital. The same qualities that had always just separated digital from analogue in my set up. Also found it with the Mojo before, just less so. Haven't heard any higher end ones.

What’s interesting is how some find pretty much the opposite with them – sounding more digital.

There’s a front-to-back depth and imaging with the 2Qute that previous DACs/CDPs lacked. This might help my own set up as the speakers are tucked away in the corners, which is bound (I’d guess) to inhibit image depth. Could also be why some seem to find the Chords a bit ‘in your face’, as in too pushed forward if they already had that image depth. Again just a guess. I’ve had it before when auditioning speakers – some were too projective and it felt uncomfortable.

As above - subjective, and system-dependent, etc.

Previous digital used was mainly Quad Artera Play (used just as DAC towards the end), Audio Note One 1x, Rega DAC, and Cambridge 840C. All very nice in their own way.

advertisement

Back