advertisement

Screened Speaker Cable

ntom

pfm Member
So, I've been re-jigging my system and moving things around & my speaker cables are 0.5m too short....

So I was digging around the spares box and found some Chord Shawline X speaker cable that someone had thrown in as a freebie when I bounght my last amp. I have to say that I am not given to paying serious money for cables, rather I prefer the well engineered, decent gauge & well terminated approach. Not even sure what the last cables were.

Having looked at the Shawline, it is shielded. I really can't see the point of shielded cable for speaker cable, however given I've got it....

The thing is, it's reasonably made up, decent plugs etc. But the screen is not connected. What on earth is the point of that? Not connecting the shield to ground surely means its likely to act as an aerial and increase noise rather than reduce it (not that I would normally expect a speaker level signal to be affected by electrical noise under normal conditions).

Looking on-line, none of the images of this cable seem to imply a ground connection so where / what the heck is the benefit to having a screen?

I'm using Cambridge 851W power amps with balanced signal input. These have a mains earthed chassis & signal ground is decoupled from mains earth by 50ohm resistor + capacitor. Speaker cable length is only 2.5m.

Anyways I guess there are two options:

1. Connect the shield to the negative signal plug at the amp (only)
2. Connect the speaker cable shield to the case of the power amp, & ensuring no connection between signal lines & screen.

Seems to me to make more sense to couple directly to the case effectively extending the screening of the casework.

[Its either that or flog the Shawline & just use some 2.5mm stranded mains cable for now!]

Can it increase capacitance even when not connected ? And also can it still act as a Faraday cage when not connected ?

As usual with everything there is little that is black and white, the use of ground in a Faraday Cage can be debated.

Gary

Seems no consensus!!

(well other than for speaker cables its not worth paying for)

Given I've got the cables to use though, I'll wire the the screen to ground at the amp end & see if i can hear any difference with them connected / disconnected!

As usual with everything there is little that is black and white, the use of ground in a Faraday Cage can be debated.

Gary
Not really, a proper Faraday cage is a fill 360, gap free shield, and absolutely 100% not earthed. Earth it and its not a Faraday cage,bits something else.

Lazy taxonomy.

“There are two cases where grounding for EMP is useful. One is in making the ground connection for large surge suppressors (such as for whole-house or standby generator protection) if the surge suppressors are fast enough for EMP. The other is for the outer shield on faraday cages that have conductors penetrating into the faraday cage. Small faraday cages with no conductors penetrating the shield do NOT need to be grounded. Large shields that do have conductors penetrating the shield need careful filtering and transient protection (surge suppression) to insure that electromagnetic fields are not re-radiated into the interior of the shielded volume.”

Not my words

Gary

advertisement

Back