advertisement

America's Cup

Bit of duct tape, she’ll be fine! Fantastic to see such great sportsmanship from the other teams. The race schedule for this weekend is TBA.

Looks like they're not going to be back next weekend, but targeting the semis. Seems a bit weird while the two others have to race. Would be ironic if they got to the final and beat Rita

ETNZ will be happy, as it cuts out a lot of on the water race practice for the challenger. But we should be in the final of Prada Cup at least

It will be interesting to see if the UK win race 1, whether the teams decide to carry on with race 2. I’d have thought the more time on the water, the better for both teams.

ETNZ will be happy, as it cuts out a lot of on the water race practice for the challenger. But we should be in the final of Prada Cup at least
I agree . Correct me if I’m wrong, but when Team Oracle were defending the Cup in San Francisco & Bermuda, didn’t they write the rules such that their boat was allowed to race in the Challenger series, to allow equal practice ?

Seems like a big advantage for the challengers in Aukland. And this time, with the slightly risky assumption that Patriot will not be able to get a rebuilt boat up to speed in time, it’s almost advantageous not to win this weekend, as it gives more race development time before the final challenger races... anywhichway, it should make for exciting racing !

Phew, that was exhausting. Best race of the series so far. I'm not sure I approve of Luna Rossa bearing off on starboard to put the frights up Ainslie. I'm glad the jury threw it out

Great race! Just 1 second difference at the start of the last leg.

Love watching this.

That's a nice touch.....

yandy306352.jpg

Fiercely competitive but true gents. It will be interesting to see how they do this weekend.

I’ve been rewatching some of the Volvo Ocean Race coverage on YouTube. The AC stuff is technologically incredible and an amazing spectacle but to me, the VOR is proper sailing. The southern ocean legs in particular are awesome.

Check out the Vendee Globe then. Should be finishing today with a potential photo finish. After 28,000 miles! Alone.

Looks like race practice is everything in this game. Assuming Patriot was put back together the same, and the software and systems were the same, Luna Rossa's margin was impressive. Patriot's batwing may be risky though

Wow, that was a beating. Not even close in the pre start and a very nervous looking boat with possibly the wrong sail on it. There had to be some issues they were not disclosing. Bear in mind they had the legs on Luna Rossa before they capsized in the round robins.

Their demeanour in the press conference was terrible as well, looked like the fight had gone from them.

Hard to understand how a former World Match Race champ like Dean B & top-flight crew could be so timid at the starts AND thereafter : must be that they were struggling with the boat handling ("nervous" is the right word: she was tracking all over the place). Quite inexplicable how LR didn't even need to cover Patriot as the Americans had already obliged by tacking or gybing underneath them every time. It'll be a miracle - or very light winds, causing the boats to come off their foils - if they're not out 0-4 by this time tomorrow. I feel sorry the Americans look like they will be going home soon - from "heroes to zeroes" in no time at all.

That said, Luna Rossa looked very improved, sailing smoothly, powerfully & fast, BUT under zero pressure as they were ahead and sailing rapidly away from both starts. It's completely different when the other boat is just as likely to climb all over you during the pre-start & then relentlessly harrass any lead you might have at any point of the race. The Prada Finals should be exciting.

The new foils on ETNZ might be a threat. Very different to the others, and if they are flying with them in the final, they must have found a performance advantage.

As an aside, here's a question for the team. If the Spitfire wing was so fecking brilliant, why wasn't it used on any subsequent planes, or even hydrofoils?

advertisement

Back