advertisement

5G

The complaints about phone transmitter antennas are especially stupid. If you have less masts the phone will crank up signal to reach more remote masts. As the phone is against your head this will cause you to receive more radiation.

It is correct that shorter wavelengths (higher frequencies) use smaller antennas. However, that is not the reason phones no longer have protruding (or pull-out, even) antennas. That transition happened while everything was still plain old GSM in the 900 MHz band. What changed was that antenna design improved by cleverly folding up what had previously been essentially a straight wire. Better simulation software probably helped make this possible.

For a time phones carried dummy antennas because people wouldn’t believe that would function perfectly well with just an internal one.

Once again this topic has shown up the poor state of science education at school. A brief introduction to the electromagnetic spectrum would put welfare concerns into perspective - there aren't any. 5G occupies a low energy band in the ems and is none ionising with far less energy than that of light with which we need in order to see.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/2682/production/_107885890_5ggraphic-nc.png

Cheers,

DV

Well 5G about the same frequency or higher than a microwave oven, so would you be happy jumping the interlocks putting your head in and switching it on?

Well 5G about the same frequency or higher than a microwave oven, so would you be happy jumping the interlocks putting your head in and switching it on?

Did you not peruse the article I posted for Darth V?

Re microwave ovens v smartphones, tis all about power o/p.

The discovery was made just before WW11, birds flying nearby radiating and detecting arrays cooked them mid flight.

:(

PS: If they could have upped the MW power o/p, they could have cooked the German airmen incoming over the channel!

It's probably not a good idea to be right next to the base station antenna - you might be warmed by the microwave radiation, but as soon as you're any distance from the antenna the effective power is very low. The inverse square law is nothing to do with attenuation by air - imagine the radiation spread across the surface of an expanding sphere - the surface area of that sphere is proportional to the square of the distance from the tower, hence the power density of the radio signal is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. Absorption by air / water vapour, and signal scattering and interference means the inverse square law is actually closer to inverse 3.5 power law - so even less power density than inverse square would predict.

My favorite ignorance scare is folks who are afraid of having high tension electric wires buried in the street in front of their houses (hint - the Earth is a good insulator) while they spend all day with their cellphones glued to their heads.

My favorite ignorance scare is folks who are afraid of having high tension electric wires buried in the street in front of their houses (hint - the Earth is a good insulator) while they spend all day with their cellphones glued to their heads.
If you bury the cables in the Earth, where does the earth go to? ;)

... Secondly, what are peoples thoughts on this and how safe is it really? I know we are all exposed via Bluetooth and 4G and WiFi and other existing tech but the lack of testing around 5G is something that concerns me.

Discuss!
The GSM Association summary of EMF exposure guidelines, from 2020 (including 5G) is here for anyone who wants details.
But beware of attributing what can happen by random chance to a particular cause.

I looked at this a very long time ago when data was scarce. An early cell-phone user was claiming in a US court that the 'phone manufacturer was responsible for a cancer that had appeared in the vicinity of the ear he habitually used for mobile 'phone conversations.

However a quick bit of research I did showed that purely by chance quite a few US citizens would develop cancers in this location independently of mobile 'phone usage. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but random chance from other causes could not be dismissed in this case to establish causation as claimed.

Do you understand how a microwave oven actually works? The answer I think is a no.

First thing what makes something hot? No not the attractive scantily dressed type but stuff in general. Well its vibrating molecules, ions etc. The more vibration the hotter things are. We even have zero point energy at absolute zero. Also matter can be neutral or charged.

Coming back to microwave ovens the microwaves interact with charged matter and give it a good shake i.e. it starts to heat up. The oven works by giving water molecules a good shake. Now water is very common stuff so we tend to ignore it but it is a very unusual substance in many ways. Due to the electronegativity of the oxygen atom the water molecule rather than being neutral as you would expect for a covalent bond is in fact polarised so that the oxygen atom has a slight negative charge whilst the hydrogen atoms have a slight positive charge. If it wasn't for this a microwave oven wouldn't work also there wouldn't be any life on this planet to make uneducated comments.

Now some more science. It takes 1 calorie to heat 1 gram of water by 1 degree C thats just under 4.2 joules or 4.2Watts for 1 second. You can play with the figures but what is the power output of a phone? Next not all that energy from the phone gets through the skin and most of the energy is dissipated in all directions so only a fraction enters the body.

Science is a fascinating subject once it has been studied - the above calculations were within the capabilities of 15 yo 'O' Level students when I taught science many years ago.

Feel free to do the maths and reach your own conclusions.

Cheers,

DV

Do you understand how a microwave oven actually works? The answer I think is a no.

First thing what makes something hot? No not the attractive scantily dressed type but stuff in general. Well its vibrating molecules, ions etc. The more vibration the hotter things are. We even have zero point energy at absolute zero. Also matter can be neutral or charged.

Coming back to microwave ovens the microwaves interact with charged matter and give it a good shake i.e. it starts to heat up. The oven works by giving water molecules a good shake. Now water is very common stuff so we tend to ignore it but it is a very unusual substance in many ways. Due to the electronegativity of the oxygen atom the water molecule rather than being neutral as you would expect for a covalent bond is in fact polarised so that the oxygen atom has a slight negative charge whilst the hydrogen atoms have a slight positive charge. If it wasn't for this a microwave oven wouldn't work also there wouldn't be any life on this planet.

Now some more science. It takes 1 calorie to heat 1 gram of water by 1 degree C thats just under 4.2 joules or 4.2Watts for 1 second. You can play with the figures but what is the power output of a phone? Next not all that energy from the phone gets through the skin and most of the energy is dissipated in all directions so only a fraction enters the body.

Science is a fascinating subject once it has been studied - the above calculations were within the capabilities of 15 yo 'O' Level students when I taught science many years ago.

Feel free to do the maths and reach your own conclusions.

Cheers,

DV

Er yes, as a matter of fact I have a post graduate degree in physics and I also spent three years working on a 5G base station design, although the baseband side not RF. I was just pointing out that the danger from electromagnetic waves does not have to be from ionising radiation as your post seemed to imply. Just stop trying to be so pompous.

advertisement

Back