advertisement

Royd Eden ?

spamnap

pfm Member
Hi,
Can someone please help me with some info re Royd Edens? Firstly were they made in 2 versions? possibly 7litre and 14litre.
I have just bought some which do have Eden printed on the label but they are unlike any that I can find pictures of online. They are Kan sized approx and have a small main driver (90mm)

https://imgur.com/L6PtedC
https://imgur.com/FNGdioh

Thanks

Thanks Tony, wasn't sure and even more confusing is the different drive unit fixing screw placement. All the images I can find show 8 screws on main driver and 4 on tweeter and a different centre arrangement on mid/base too. Anyway they sound very nice so I'm happy, was just curious lol

My Edens had the same triangulated border as yours but were shorter and wider, as shown in this pic:

36f7d94e451f2c9c49ad191923d32b21.jpg

But for a few mm difference in cabinet depth, all of the Royd 7L models have the same external dimensions. Typically these were 203mm (W) x 305mm (H) x 185 to 190mm (D).

@spamnap,

If you have a read of Adam Merideth's Hi-Fi Review, August 1988 review of Eden, there is mention of early tests having led to some changes, including from stamped steel to cast alloy driver chassis, 8-screw fastening, plus internal walls being clad with steel plate; all quite new for Royd at the time. Perhaps yours are an early variant.

Craig

Hi Craig, Thanks for the info, looks like you are right about them being early version as it mentions in the article that 8 screw version was later.

Hi Craig, Thanks for the info, looks like you are right about them being early version as it mentions in the article that 8 screw version was later.
You're welcome.

From the look of the flange in your first picture, they do appear to be alloy baskets. The cone certainly appears to be period correct, too. What I find harder to make out is the suspension surround; is it foam?

Hi, I think there’s a couple of causes for concern. 1. I’ve never seen an Eden without the 8 screw fixing and I saw them a month after they came out. 2. The Royd label on the back uses a phone number whose format was not in existence until 1995 (long after the Eden was end of line).

Hi, I think there’s a couple of causes for concern. 1. I’ve never seen an Eden without the 8 screw fixing and I saw them a month after they came out. 2. The Royd label on the back uses a phone number whose format was not in existence until 1995 (long after the Eden was end of line).
That is interesting, Martin.

This pic of the back label from Eden (from roydeaudio.org) shows a much later serial number. The other shots show the usual 8 fasteners round the bass/mid, and 6 for the tweeter.

roydeden_backdetails.jpg

The surround looks more like some kind of rubber, so I am thinking they are a pair that has been tinkered with.

Interestingly this pair sold recently on PFM. They are very near serial numbers to mine and look identical apart from the cable terminals which look like replacements :)

The surround looks more like some kind of rubber, so I am thinking they are a pair that has been tinkered with.
Butyl rubber is typical for the period. The early Royd models Seven, A7, etc. had foam surrounds; not many around that haven't been re-foamed, or are past due for surround replacement. Most of these drivers had 3-screw mount stamped metal baskets.

I was just curious, as I couldn't quite make out what was what from the posted picture.

Hi,
Can someone please help me with some info re Royd Edens? Firstly were they made in 2 versions? possibly 7litre and 14litre.

Joe did some 14 Ltr cabinets, not sure what name they had but not Eden, guess limited numbers

They were mentioned on the old Royd website which seem to be closed.

I know Adam ceased trading, maybe that's the reason for web closure ?

Otherwise Mike Hanson did that old website me thinks.

Joe did some 14 Ltr cabinets, not sure what name they had but not Eden, guess limited numbers

They were mentioned on the old Royd website which seem to be closed.

I know Adam ceased trading, maybe that's the reason for web closure ?

Otherwise Mike Hanson did that old website me thinks.
Yes, those were A14, successor to the Akroyd Rydal 14. These were originally under the Akroyd brand and initially featured the 'purple nurple' Wharfedale tweeter with 6.5" bass/mid.

Yes, those were A14, successor to the Akroyd Rydal 14. These were originally under the Akroyd brand and initially featured the 'purple nurple' Wharfedale tweeter with 6.5" bass/mid.
I had a pair of A14 for a while and regretted moving them on. They were great. I’ve never known of any other 14l Royds though and was unaware of the Rydals.

advertisement

Back