advertisement

Supernait 3 vs Hegel 190

VVV

pfm Member
Hi
Any recommendation between the two?
Both are integrated amp, except one has built in phono stage.
Thank you

would have thought the 360 was more comparable in price . that really does have huge praise with many . built in dac of course

both very good amps . sn3 very popular , very well known , keeps its price reasonably well

not heard the hegel but have a week old sn3 and its fab.. way better than the 2 that preceded it.

You upgraded from the 2 ? I'm not sure to go with a 2nd hand sn2, get a decent phono stage and save a decent amount of money, or just hell with it and go with a sn3. I've currently got a roksan k2 so think either will be a decent step up.

I’m another who has heard the SNait 3 vs 2, but not the Hegel.
I thought there was a fair step up from SNait 2-3. More of everything, but still with the Naim character. The internal phono stage is a welcome addition even if it is only MM. Maybe people buying an amp at this level would be running a fairly decent tt with an MC cart?
I’d be interested to hear people’s views on the Hegel gear.

Having owned a large stack of Naim equipment as my last system, I have to acknowledge my opinion is somewhat biased, but for what it is worth, I did audition both the Supernait 3, the Hegel 190 and the Hegel 320 late last year and have some thoughts on them as follows:

I much preferred the Hegel integrateds to the Supernait but it's very much a stylistic preference. I'm not sure either is objectively or measurably better.

The Supernait is JANA - just another Naim amp - where all Naim amps do the same thing but to a greater degree the more you spend. So, great leading edge dynamics, effortless transients and reasonable detail but with the tendency to make your ears bleed and sound 'ugly' and harsh, especially the higher up you go (I experienced this - a good friend got as far as a ND555, 2x 555PS, NAC252 and active S600s driven by SNAXO and NAP300s before he finally bled out. He chopped it all in and has built a vastly different sytem. When I heard his final Naim set up I didn't have the heart to tell him it sounded utterly ghastly. Fortunately he reached that decision for himself.

But a lot of people like it (and at one time so did I) and as correctly pointed out, you rarely lose much money when you do finally bleed out and decide to take a different direction. It's also possible to get hefty discounts on Naim kit as the way Naim require their dealers to operate means they always have rotation demo stock they need to off load.

The Hegel amps in comparrison sound very musical; fluid, detailed and engaging. They had enough PRAT to be hugely entertaining but leading edfges weren't quite so brutal and the experience much more relaxing as a result. They were very similar to the T&A integrateds I also listened to at the same time, which were similarly impressive.

You upgraded from the 2 ? I'm not sure to go with a 2nd hand sn2, get a decent phono stage and save a decent amount of money, or just hell with it and go with a sn3. I've currently got a roksan k2 so think either will be a decent step up.
Yep and the three is more open and articulate than the 2. I was using my 2 with Avondale tpx and the bare 3 is as good if not better..

To me, the Naim is doing a better job on rock and fast pace music while the Hegel is sweeter on acoustic guitars and female voices as well as soundstage.
I would go with Naim anyway as it’s generally more involving.

The SN3 is a definitely better than the SN2 - but the Hegels are more 'even handed' and have a built-in dac / streamer ..

I know the OP post is Naim/Hegel, I would be curious about Heed's Lagrange integrated. Off the radar a bit for sure, but....

You cannot go far wrong with a Supernait, will always be able to sell it on.

Totally agreed. Naim has a polarising presentation and I have to say, bullet-proof residuals. This makes it really easy to try the Naim first and shift it on if not quite for you (especially 2nd hand!)

Totally agreed. Naim has a polarising presentation and I have to say, bullet-proof residuals. This makes it really easy to try the Naim first and shift it on if not quite for you (especially 2nd hand!)
Or you could just audition them both and make a mistake that costs you £1000, which is about what you’ll at least lose if you buy a Supernait and change your mind.

advertisement

Back