advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... X

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an indictment on the last few decades of EU development tbh.
Nonsense. It's an indictment of the lies that have been told. In addition, what is the role of national government in regional development?

FOM is not really the same as free movement when the vast majority of people flow is East to West.
On that basis there is no FOM between London and the regions, on the basis that thousands travel to the SE for better paid work, and nobody is leaving London to come and work in Grimsby. I know, I have been one of the "economic migrants" travelling to London to get better paid work than I can get in Leeds. Christ, a mate of mine moved from Bradford to Leeds, a while 5 miles, because the same work in Leeds paid 25% better. Movement will always be asymmetric, if there were equal numbers of jobs and workers in every town nobody would ever move. Look at the 80s when UK brickies left behind 3M unemployed at home and went working in Germany. I don't remember very many Germans coming to the UK in 1983 to mend roads.

If you're an EU architect, you should really engineer conditions that allow ordinary folk in the forgotten regions to access work across the EU.
Yes, and they have. Short of holding them by the hand and taking them to work, what do you need other than FOM and access to local tax/healthcare/etc upon arrival? Go to Italy, it is full of Romanians working the holiday resorts in the summer, they go home in winter. Portugal supplies large numbers of skilled butchers for the UK meat industry at Christmas. Spain has provided thousands of vets. Mostly doing deeply unglamorous work in abattoirs, inspecting animals pre and post mortem, but essential work. By the same token nobody is (or was) stopping Brits from Hartlepool, Burnley or Bradford working the ski season in France, Italy, etc, or holiday resorts in Spain, or getting a factory job in Germany. I should know, I went and did it. Nobody held my hand, same as nobody held however many Polish people's hands when they came to Britain. It was made possible, the means was given, and guess what, people moved.

Nonsense. It's an indictment of the lies that have been told. In addition, what is the role of national government in regional development?

On that basis there is no FOM between London and the regions, on the basis that thousands travel to the SE for better paid work, and nobody is leaving London to come and work in Grimsby. I know, I have been one of the "economic migrants" travelling to London to get better paid work than I can get in Leeds. Christ, a mate of mine moved from Bradford to Leeds, a while 5 miles, because the same work in Leeds paid 25% better. Movement will always be asymmetric, if there were equal numbers of jobs and workers in every town nobody would ever move. Look at the 80s when UK brickies left behind 3M unemployed at home and went working in Germany. I don't remember very many Germans coming to the UK in 1983 to mend roads.

Yes, and they have. Short of holding them by the hand and taking them to work, what do you need other than FOM and access to local tax/healthcare/etc upon arrival? Go to Italy, it is full of Romanians working the holiday resorts in the summer, they go home in winter. Portugal supplies large numbers of skilled butchers for the UK meat industry at Christmas. Spain has provided thousands of vets. Mostly doing deeply unglamorous work in abattoirs, inspecting animals pre and post mortem, but essential work. By the same token nobody is (or was) stopping Brits from Hartlepool, Burnley or Bradford working the ski season in France, Italy, etc, or holiday resorts in Spain, or getting a factory job in Germany. I should know, I went and did it. Nobody held my hand, same as nobody held however many Polish people's hands when they came to Britain. It was made possible, the means was given, and guess what, people moved.
Actually the Tories did have a novel migration policy. As far back as Cameron, they introduced housing benefit restrictions for Londoners finding it increasingly difficult to rent affordable housing because Cameron’s mates were snapping up ex-local authority housing for BTL then rent gouging. The government’s response was was to transport Londoners out to areas hundreds of miles away with which they had no family, social or work connections.

Actually the Tories did have a novel migration policy. As far back as Cameron, they introduced housing benefit restrictions for Londoners finding it increasingly difficult to rent affordable housing because Cameron’s mates were snapping up ex-local authority housing for BTL then rent gouging. The government’s response was was to transport Londoners out to areas hundreds of miles away with which they had no family, social or work connections.
Yes, a member of my extended family, who is disabled, receiving benefits and lives in a flat near Goldhawk Road tube station was offered relocation to Sheffield some 5 or 6 years ago. I'm sure it would be much cheaper to pay rent in Attercliffe or Brightside than West London.

Tories have a lot to answer for, as to Brexit and handling of Covid crisis now over 100,000.00. deaths in UK (30,000 deaths since Christmas...!) Johnson admits full responsibility for the handling of the Covid crisis. I wonder what that actually means...? Will he take full responsibility for Brexit if it goes South? I use the word 'if' hoping that it may be an unexpected success in the near future but somehow my inner mind is telling me that such a result is unlikely.....

Nice idea but I doubt it will fly with the hard remainer folk here. Everything that goes wrong with anything has to be blamed on ‘brexiteers/racists’ and mentioned here, broken up by a post every few pages that a positive of brexit has not been posted yet. :)

Expect some relief from brexit in May when the SNP gets a landslide but the tories refuse a referendum on independence. There will be a lot of grief and angst...

Sorry to disappoint you Brian: I am what you label a hard remainer. Brexit is the worst decision the UK has made (the Iraq war is Blair alone) in my lifetime. But it is done. I just don't care anymore.

Sorry to disappoint you Brian: I am what you label a hard remainer. Brexit is the worst decision the UK has made (the Iraq war is Blair alone) in my lifetime. But it is done. I just don't care anymore.

You could condense this whole process by realizing the Tories identified what was needed to get them re-elected into power. This choice would galvanize enough votes under the FTP system to get them into power. The consequences are irrelevant to them and no though come the next election they will figure out the next ploy to convince enough voters to get them over the line and into power.

They have been consistently better at it for donkeys years with the exception of Blair who most seem to regard as Tory lite.

So immigrants from Belarus would be ok then?

You've lost me. You might well have lost yourself too. I was responding to a post from Stephen Bennett that had nothing whatseover to do with immigration, from Belarus or anywhere else.

This is how 'small is beautiful' works.
38536178-9191873-image-a-30_1611744056026.jpg

I was around at the time of the Suez crisis, though being under 1 at the time my memories of it are somewhat limited. I see Brexit in a similar light, it’s all part of the continuous decline of the UK since WWI.

That is not what Pascal Soriot, of Astrazeneca, was saying in The Times today; but then what does he know he is only chief executive.
I don't take The Times so I have no idea what he said. Did he say UK was able to buy vaccine more quickly because of Brexit? I bet he did not. Did he say we don't have the highest death rate too?

This is how 'small is beautiful' works.
38536178-9191873-image-a-30_1611744056026.jpg
Well we are certainly small and getting smaller all the time.

Vaccination is going pretty well here, perhaps it helps that the NHS is being used rather than funneling cash to a Tory start up with no experience. However I take no pleasure in the slower progress elsewhere in Europe not least because the problem isn't anywhere near being solved until we all bring it under control.

I don't take The Times so I have no idea what he said. Did he say UK was able to buy vaccine more quickly because of Brexit? I bet he did not. Did he say we don't have the highest death rate too?
''We basically signed an agreement with the UK three months before we did with Europe''
Germany and the Netherlands, France and Italy all secured their own contracts with Astrazeneca in June but were told to wait until the end of August for an EU deal to be signed after Brussels determined that negotiations could only take place between the entire bloc and the pharmaceutical giant.

Norway is faring very well and is planning to export vaccines to needy countries at the same time as vaccinating its own citizens. Can you imagine this country doing the same, or how it would be received if it did?
With the highest per capita death rate in the world, Britain needs every drop of vaccine it can get. The Brexit- vaccine lie is the stuff of Trump.

You've lost me. You might well have lost yourself too. I was responding to a post from Stephen Bennett that had nothing whatseover to do with immigration, from Belarus or anywhere else.
If I trace back the quoted thread, I end up at Stunsworth's post and "The government is offering financial incentives for EU citizens to leave the country", then a bit later Stephen's comment "Johnson's Government really, really hate Europeans." and you telling him to not mix up EU and Europe. It's very clearly immigration related, but perhaps you missed that?

I am questioning if the reasoning behind this policy really is to get EU citizens to move out, but other Europeans would be fine? I think probably not and that Stephen might be on to something..

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back