advertisement

need a new dog - can I travel to collect one?

could you reasonably be expected to wait?
I think more and more people can’t wait nowadays. This is strange for me because throughout lockdown I’ve been consciously stringing projects out so that I’ve got things to do later. Ive found it to be beneficial because i do things in a more measured and careful way leading to better quality results (or maybe I’m just getting old)

I think more and more people can’t wait nowadays. This is strange for me because throughout lockdown I’ve been consciously stringing projects out so that I’ve got things to do later. Ive found it to be beneficial because i do things in a more measured and careful way leading to better quality results (or maybe I’m just getting old)

Yes, there are things I want to do but they'll have to wait. I make no comparisons with the OP when I say this, just to be clear.

I also want to go into work. I'm conflicted about that because I can and should sit out but I'm manager to a good number of people who are still there, so on the one hand I'm demonstrating compliance with the rules, on the other it perhaps says: 'I'm alright Jack.' If I go in I simply increase the risks to those at work and back to myself and my family. Very tempting to go in and see familiar faces and support them and their work though.

The government is discouraging (note, not banning) non-essential travel. So it’s not clear that non-essential travel would actually be against the rules, even if it is not advised. But the other consideration is that the OP and their family has just lost their dog (and OP, my best wishes, it’s an awful thing), and getting a new dog will surely help deal with the loss. We’ve heard an awful lot about coping with loss, and the importance of looking after your mental health during this crisis, so there’s an arguable case to be made that this journey could be essential, in terms of maintaining good mental health.

Well said.

We’ve heard an awful lot about coping with loss, and the importance of looking after your mental health during this crisis, so there’s an arguable case to be made that this journey could be essential, in terms of maintaining good mental health.
Trouble is if you follow this line of argument you’re off into a wormhole that leads to going to raves in railway arches

According to The Dog's Trust, 31 out of the 32 dogs they have available for rescue in Liverpool and Manchester cannot live with other dogs. Some of the rescue centres have to be a bit less rigid or dogs will remain 'in care' for a long, long time. Unfortunately, I now know of people turning to rescue centres abroad and who are now offering lovely homes to dogs having been unable to rescue in the UK.
I often see that.
May be true for some.

When we added 2 into our pack we met them at the kennels they were in. Spent time with them and walked up and down a lane with 2 from our pack. All fine.
Coming out of the car at home we had war.
Looked very bad. Calmed them down.
All is fine now 3-4 years later

Another thing I see is "bonded pair".
May be true, but I think most live in the moment and a short while after they have moved on

We have a 6 pack. Not perfect, but stable

from gov.uk
Buying or adopting a pet
You must follow social distancing rules when buying or adopting a pet.

You should not visit a breeder or rescue centre in person to view an animal before buying or adopting it. This is not a reasonable excuse to leave your home.

You should ask for a virtual tour instead. Take extra care to make sure that the seller is legitimate by following government guidance on how to get pets responsibly

Breeders and rescue centres should make arrangements to deliver your pet to you when it is ready to be rehomed. Where this is not possible, and it is reasonably necessary for the pet’s welfare, you may collect the animal. You should collect your pet by appointment only.

You must collect the pet without entering the premises where this is a private home.

I often see that.
May be true for some.

When we added 2 into our pack we met them at the kennels they were in. Spent time with them and walked up and down a lane with 2 from our pack. All fine.
Coming out of the car at home we had war.
Looked very bad. Calmed them down.
All is fine now 3-4 years later

Another thing I see is "bonded pair".
May be true, but I think most live in the moment and a short while after they have moved on

We have a 6 pack. Not perfect, but stable

When we tried to adopt a rescue initially we thought the rescue places would be pretty keen to let us have a dog - both in our early 50's, detached house with a decent garden and a 6ft fence, my wife at home all the time as she'd retired, on the edge of the Pentland Hills with excellent dog walking from the door, no kids at home etc. Unfortunately we hadn't owned a dog before so weren't of interest (and the Dogs Trust were very dismissive, despite having loads of dogs in) although I thought it was mental of them not to at least give us a chance.

We finally got a dog from one of the smaller rehoming places but in future I'd probably look at one of the places that brings dogs into the UK from Romania - although given we've now had our dog for a couple of years I don't think we'd have an issue with the Dogs Trust etc. this time.

Thank you all for your input, comments and help.

We have been on touch with the Dogs Trust in Loughborough but they arn't allowing any purchases or pick ups until April. Considering they are 20 mins from here that's a bit frustrating. I'm working full time from home so am at least busy - that reduces the (admittedly diminishing) feelings of loss. I do agree that this is not essential but I'm not the only on one the house!! Number 1 is going insane - as she is off work and bored too.

Regards and thanks again

Mike

from gov.uk
Buying or adopting a pet
You must follow social distancing rules when buying or adopting a pet.

You should not visit a breeder or rescue centre in person to view an animal before buying or adopting it. This is not a reasonable excuse to leave your home.

You should ask for a virtual tour instead. Take extra care to make sure that the seller is legitimate by following government guidance on how to get pets responsibly

Breeders and rescue centres should make arrangements to deliver your pet to you when it is ready to be rehomed. Where this is not possible, and it is reasonably necessary for the pet’s welfare, you may collect the animal. You should collect your pet by appointment only.

You must collect the pet without entering the premises where this is a private home.
That’s useful. I did notice that in the guidance, essential businesses that can stay open include animal rescue centres. Obviously if they then can’t rehome the animals, they’ll fill up and be unable to continue to offer rescue services, so implicit in the rules is an ability to rehome the dogs. But I note the above re travel - it’ll require them to bring the dog to you, apparently.

Have you tried going outside into the garden and shouting LASSIE!

(pretend to be stuck down a well when the dog arrives otherwise he'll be annoyed).

Alternatively you could tie a black bin liner to a piece of string and take that for walks, easy to look after and a lovely glossy coat.

iu

We finally got a dog from one of the smaller rehoming places but in future I'd probably look at one of the places that brings dogs into the UK from Romania - although given we've now had our dog for a couple of years I don't think we'd have an issue with the Dogs Trust etc. this time.

A friend of mine went down this route 3 years ago for their first ever dog and was rejected by all the local dog rehoming places and we have loads round here, not interested in first time dog owners at all. Got a "so called puppy" from Romania. Supposed to be 6 months old, probably closer to 3 years. However quite well behaved Lab, a bit neurotic for the first year or so but is now a settled family pet.

there was a charity in Cyprus rehoming dogs in the UK featured on our local news a few days back.

Don't recall which one though, I'd imagine there are a few

Thank you all for your input, comments and help.

We have been on touch with the Dogs Trust in Loughborough but they arn't allowing any purchases or pick ups until April. Considering they are 20 mins from here that's a bit frustrating. I'm working full time from home so am at least busy - that reduces the (admittedly diminishing) feelings of loss. I do agree that this is not essential but I'm not the only on one the house!! Number 1 is going insane - as she is off work and bored too.

Regards and thanks again

Mike

Op, sorry for your loss, why not take a neighbour’s dog out on walks, I’ve a sprocker who needs at least a two hours walk in the morning otherwise he goes mental, well he is mental anyway but you know what I mean anyway the point is if someone wanted to take him out occasionally I’d be all for it provided I knew them etc.

A friend of mine went down this route 3 years ago for their first ever dog and was rejected by all the local dog rehoming places and we have loads round here, not interested in first time dog owners at all. Got a "so called puppy" from Romania. Supposed to be 6 months old, probably closer to 3 years. However quite well behaved Lab, a bit neurotic for the first year or so but is now a settled family pet.

I’ve a customer who got a dog from Spain, one of those podenco hunting dogs, it is totally off it’s head it was worse when he got it about three ago but it’s still mental ie neurotic but he got a lurcher subsequently and that has helped I think but still a huge task to take on, for the first six months he couldn’t go near other dogs or humans.

there was a charity in Cyprus rehoming dogs in the UK featured on our local news a few days back.

Don't recall which one though, I'd imagine there are a few

A friend of mine in Cyprus works for that charity (or a charity in Cyprus) that rehomes cats and dogs.
PM me if anyone wants contact details.

A friend of mine in Cyprus works for that charity (or a charity in Cyprus) that rehomes cats and dogs.
PM me if anyone wants contact details.
A good friend of ours got a stray dog from Cyprus last year. Lovely little thing.

I suspect that most of those 'rescue dogs' are up here.. in the Grand Duchy. I used to live in a quiet cul de sac which led to a small strip of public open space. It seems I have now moved to the Canine equivalent of the M25. Thousands of folks dragging dogs down our street and many of them shitting.. (the dogs that is.. though probably only a matter of time for the owners..) on pavements and open plan gardens. We have people driving down our cul de sac then parking in the turnaround at the bottom while their poor little pooches have to walk all of five yards for a shit on the open space before being bundled back into cars.

On the other hand, it seems that many local dogs which formerly got a walk once a week if they were lucky.. are now being dragged around day in day out
to justify their owners' desperation to get out of the house. They all look shagged out and thoroughly pissed off. A Dog's Life eh?

I know.. and am on at least nodding terms with all of our local dog owners. You could almost set your watch by them. This lot are new.. It's terrifying..

advertisement

Back