advertisement

Linn Akurate Katalyst alternatives?

jonnypsvinyl

pfm Member
I had a KDS3, which I loved, but over stretched myself to get, soi t had to go. I now have a KDS0 renew, which is superb for the money...but I've an itch to upgrade. I can't stretch to a KDS3 again, but £3-4k is do-able, accounting for the value of the KDS0. And the obvious option is a ADS3.

I don't have any other Linn kit - not a fan of the amps or speakers. But I do love the streamers, so the ADS is the safe option. However there are so many options out there now its pretty bewildering, and I wonder whether there might be better for the money from other manufacturers.

Anything else I might consider? I have a Innuos Zenith which I use as a Roon Core and can be used as the Roon player too, and I use a pre. So a stand-alone DAC is another option, I guess.

Before I spend any money, ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can't see any reason to replicate the streaming function you already have, so go with a nice DAC. I use the RME ADI-2, which is great. There are plenty of others that have been favorably measured on Audio Science Review and elsewhere, including options from Matrix Audio if you feel like splashing some cash -- but this isn't really necessary. An RME or Topping DAC would be excellent. The latest DACs are measurably distortion- and noise-free within the threshold of human hearing and you don't have to spend a lot to get this level of performance.

Rocking horse poo. The consensus seems to be the ADS3 is better anyway.
and it seems there is no upgrade path with Renew as opposed to Akurate or Klimax ,
I have not much experience with streamers , I owned Akurate DS0 which was a bit disappointing , sold it after couple of months then I bought DS2 with Katalyst and is much better . Another option if you want one box streamer/DAC would be Esoteric N05 which I am tempted to try but at current climate audition isn't possible , if you are patient s/h N05 could be found below 4k .
I am also not a Linn person but I like their digital sources , owned quite few cd/sacd players in the past and I have to say their built in DACs are very good and represent very good quality single box digital replay .

I loved the Akurate, but couldn’t quite stretch to it. I went for a MiniDSP SHD, and it works very well. I’ve paired it with an Innuos Zenith.

What did you decide? I'm in the same situation, have a KDS0 Renew for 10 years, it's absolutely fine ... but considering an "upgrade".

advertisement

Back