advertisement

Post-Trump: Biden President Elect II (Trump tantrums, riots etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends in California today said they feel like a weight has been lifted off them. The contrast between today’s inauguration speech and the last could not be starker.
I've heard it feels like someone just dropped an evil ring of power into Mt. Doom. And the Dark Lord just sort of vanishes into the air....

What do I win? :D

One of these!

2-550x550-Front-Color-White.jpg

AMANDA GORMAN WAS BORN IN 1998.

Awful, isn’t it? (The realisation I mean, not her, she was great).

I bought the only suit I own the year after that.

Pretty sure I’ve got underwear that predates her birth.

And I’m towards the younger end of the pfm spectrum!

I feel like a weight has been lifted off me and I am not even American. So goodness knows how bad it must have been for those non Trumpists who that live there. An order of magnitude worse.
Likewise, but I still fear for the future. It seems to me that Trump has opened an American version of Pandora's Box, and, to mix metaphors thoroughly, I'm not sure how the genie gets put back in the bottle. Nazi comparisons can be overdone, but it needs to remembered that Hitler's failed 1923 Munich putsch was succeeded by his being elected to power only 10 years later. Now Trump at 72 and in, one suspects, not exactly perfect health, may not have 10 years, or even the necessary 4, but there are other potential demagogues out there, smarter and more competent than he and just as ruthless and ambitious and only too happy to acquire Trump's mantle. One thinks of the likes of Ted Cruz. I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said that the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. Given the dark forces that Trump has unleashed and even made almost respectable, considerable vigilance is called for.

Likewise, but I still fear for the future. It seems to me that Trump has opened an American version of Pandora's Box, and, to mix metaphors thoroughly, I'm not sure how the genie gets put back in the bottle. Nazi comparisons can be overdone, but it needs to remembered that Hitler's failed 1923 Munich putsch was succeeded by his being elected to power only 10 years later. Now Trump at 72 and in, one suspects, not exactly perfect health, may not have 10 years, or even the necessary 4, but there are other potential demagogues out there, smarter and more competent than he and just as ruthless and ambitious and only too happy to acquire Trump's mantle. One thinks of the likes of Ted Cruz. I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said that the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. Given the dark forces that Trump has unleashed and even made almost respectable, considerable vigilance is called for.

Good ol' Ted may not be off to his best start in 2021...

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1352090862121959424

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back