advertisement

Post-Trump: Biden President Elect II (Trump tantrums, riots etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whips is his speech writer? Impressive stuff.Saw the bill horned nutcase flaunting his bonkers ego on TV.What did trump dig up?

One thing Trump got right - he recognized that Biden was the biggest threat to him staying in office, so he took steps to target Biden starting in 2018. Good thing it didn't work.

Good riddance to a miserable twunt.

I thought that Amanda Gorman's poem The Hill We Climb and her reading of it was amazing, she actually has a speech impediment.

I was in tears watching her deliver the poem.

She's in great company: Robert Frost The Gift Outright (JFK), Maya Angelou On Pulse of Morning (Clinton 1), Miller Williams Of History and Hope (Clinton 2), Elizabeth Alexander Praise Song For Day (Obama 1) & Ricardo Blanco One Today (Obama 2).

Eh any chance they might have received the vaccine??
Didn’t see much in the way of social distancing at the ceremony. Much hand shaking and hugging, certainly. Even if they’ve all been tested on the way in (?) it’s not a good example to set whilst making covid a key topic of the speech. You can see why they’ve got such problems.

I thought that Amanda Gorman's poem The Hill We Climb and her reading of it was amazing, she actually has a speech impediment.

I was in tears watching her deliver the poem.

She's in great company: Robert Frost The Gift Outright (JFK), Maya Angelou On Pulse of Morning (Clinton 1), Miller Williams Of History and Hope (Clinton 2), Elizabeth Alexander Praise Song For Day (Obama 1) & Ricardo Blanco One Today (Obama 2).
She was the star of the show for me. Whenever I feel glum about the future I think of the thousands of inspiring young activists out there, for whom social justice, anti-racism and tackling the climate crisis are second nature.

I thought Biden made a good speech though - not just full of platitudes (though, God knows, even platitudes would have been a welcome relief after four years of *****), but also sober, and showing some awareness of the huge challenges ahead (COVID, racial justice, climate change). He might just be paying lip-service to the urgent need for change, but I hope and pray that is not the case.

She was the star of the show for me. Whenever I feel glum about the future I think of the thousands of inspiring young activists out there, for whom social justice, anti-racism and tackling the climate crisis are second nature.

I thought Biden made a good speech though - not just full of platitudes (though, God knows, even platitudes would have been a welcome relief after four years of *****), but also sober, and showing some awareness of the huge challenges ahead (COVID, racial justice, climate change). He might just be paying lip-service to the urgent need for change, but I hope and pray that is not the case.
I normally find inaugurations a bit bland but I was moved by the whole thing today. It’s the best I’ve felt in months- some expression of ordinary decent humanity shining through.

I normally find inaugurations a bit bland but I was moved by the whole thing today. It’s the best I’ve felt in months- some expression of ordinary decent humanity shining through.
I watched it with my partner and, despite my scepticism, I too was moved. I think it's good to allow ourselves a day or two of optimism, before getting back to the job of critical analysis.

Yeah Dec, same.

Biden's was an extremely hard hitting speech though - Trump would have been mad to even contemplate turning up: hung, drawn quartered (and then quartered some several times more for good measure :))

The whole event was very cleverly designed to be as inclusive as possible - even for goodness sake down to the POW/MIA flag hanging below the Stars and Bars on the centrepiece flagpole. I think he hit this one right out of the park. Fair dues, I like him.

T***P’s reign began and ended with lies. It started with a silly lie - the “biggest” crowd ever to attend an inauguration. It ended with a very serious lie, denying the outcome of the election. Perfect bookends for a completely failed presidency.

Biden began his presidency with a moving call for peace and unity. He has a solid plan, and he will be surrounded by competent advisors. He will erase T***p‘s executive orders ASAP, but it is not clear how much new legislation will get passed. The filibuster is alive and well in the Senate, so it would take 60 votes to end Republican obstruction. As of now, there is at least one, and maybe two Democratic Senators who are not in favor of ending the filibuster. IMO, their opinion might change after a few months of frustration. If there is a vote, it would take only a simple majority (50 Dems with VP Harris as tie-breaker) to end it.

this whole Donald Trump saga leads me to wish there was a was to check that a prospective candidate is fit for office of POTUS. there are obviously all sorts of practical difficulties like -- how would be organised and who would do the assessment objectively. but i am sure if enough brain power is directed to this -- there could be a way. just thinking aloud...

Some of the stuff that DT came up with sounded pretty stupid to me...

None...yet. Bannon has serious legal exposure because he pocketed the money he raised to build a border wall. So this was T***p pardoning him for bilking T***p’s own supporters! Apparently he has also broken state laws, so would not be surprised if he is eventually prosecuted.

Edit: Don beat me to it.
What do I win? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back