advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

You must have a list of gadgets to buy...what’s next on the car detailing front?
It is certainly a hobby that has taken off in the last few years. Way back the keen cleaners had a hose, sponge and bucket, chamois leather and some wax polish and a cloth. Job done. Even the used car places only had that plus a pressure washer. Next news is there's this, and that, and a pile of stuff. Water purifier, and testing kit? Come on. That's not even the half of it now. It's strange. If any of us met anyone who cleaned a house so obsessively we'd make some excuses and leave. "I've got a paint thickness gauge to measure the paint on the walls... I have a calibrated Hoover to compensate for different carpet types...I wet shampoo the carpets once a month". That's nice. Still, takes all sorts.

It is certainly a hobby that has taken off in the last few years. Way back the keen cleaners had a hose, sponge and bucket, chamois leather and some wax polish and a cloth. Job done. Even the used car places only had that plus a pressure washer. Next news is there's this, and that, and a pile of stuff. Water purifier, and testing kit? Come on. That's not even the half of it now. It's strange. If any of us met anyone who cleaned a house so obsessively we'd make some excuses and leave. "I've got a paint thickness gauge to measure the paint on the walls... I have a calibrated Hoover to compensate for different carpet types...I wet shampoo the carpets once a month". That's nice. Still, takes all sorts.

My first summer job was doing what you describe ‘way back’. And yes things have moved on, I think very much for the better...so many options to aid it seems, if you know what you are doing...I certainly don’t!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Did the rear wheel arches on the Cayman R this weekend.

Plastic wheel liners out job and 1:10 diluted degreaser (Bilt Hamber Surfex HD). Came up well for a decade old car...

https://www.bilthamber.com/surfex-hd

IuVDiQ5.jpg

How dirty was it before? And, do you plan to put the plastics back?

That actually looks really useful.

How noisy is it?

On a flat surface it is quiet, but when doing wheels (where it is the best!) it can be deafening so I now wear my noise cancelling headphones. But that is not the fault of the blower - just aero dynamics.

I just wash the car during a light rain. The clean water from above does the rinsing.

It p*ss*d down on Christmas day here, and the car was filthy from some commutes on heavily salted freeways so I did just that - put on my barbour coat and got a sponge and bucket of warm water with some car cleaner in it and gave the car a once over. After the torrential rain had rinsed it it came out very well - much better than previously. The neighbors must think I'm mad.

It p*ss*d down on Christmas day here, and the car was filthy from some commutes on heavily salted freeways so I did just that - put on my barbour coat and got a sponge and bucket of warm water with some car cleaner in it and gave the car a once over. After the torrential rain had rinsed it it came out very well - much better than previously. The neighbors must think I'm mad.

I've washed mine in the rain in the past, it's good to do when the dirt will be softened, so it's not mad, but in the eyes of others it must seem bonkers.

We ended up getting a Karcher steam cleaner on Friday, the basic handheld sc1 model. The sc2 would definitely have made the job easier but I did manage to ‘deep clean’ my stinky car interior yesterday. I really think it has made a positive difference to neutralising the stale smoke smells. I managed to not completely soak the electrics or bath the seats/carpet, so a bonus all round!

Polar seal on 3 for 2 as well. Never tried it but it looks good, and I need a replacement for a nearly empty bottle of Meguairs Hybrid Ceramic. I like these spray and rinse products for quick results.

How dirty was it before? And, do you plan to put the plastics back?

It wasn't too bad before (careful previous owner for 9 years) except alot of crap get's in behind the wheel liners. It only takes few minutes to get the liners off. I'd only do that every few years though.

I did the clean to get a good look at the suspension rubbers too for any early signs or cracking/wear. I'd do that at least annually.

I can't find the exact brush I use to get into the awkward suspension areas but it's shaped a bit like this and had medium stiffness bristles. It's brilliant for that sort of cleaning as it compresses right down for those tight parts between suspension elements

EZ+Wheel+Brush.jpg

Polar seal on 3 for 2 as well. Never tried it but it looks good, and I need a replacement for a nearly empty bottle of Meguairs Hybrid Ceramic. I like these spray and rinse products for quick results.

It's good; works better than the Aqua Wax IMO

Easy too; spray on via the snowfoam canon, rinse off, towel dry etc :)

Tyres treated with Chemical Guys Tyre gel and all black plastics treated the same (Tire & Trim gel it's called and it does a great job TBH).

Just catching up on this thread. Did you use the solution described to bring up the black plastic around the wheel arches?

What do folk use for this type of black plastic, to bring it back to colour (either inside or outside the car)?

advertisement

Back